F-111F Lau launchers

Cool loadout! Never seen the inner pylons used for AIM-9s.

I´m not sure if the aircraft was carrying the AN/AAW-13 Data Link-pod which is usually necessary to guide the GBU-15s, IIRC.

HAJO

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Hajo L. said:

Where is that pod hanging? I didn´t spot it (doesn´t mean anything, I´m short sighted 😉 ) under the belly of that F-111.

HAJO

The AN/AXQ-14 was wired into the systems on the rear pylon between the ventral fins.

It was the only time the AN/ALQ-131 was carried on the forward pylon over the bomb bay.

Its the one pylon ignored by all manufacturers because its usually the location of the Pave tack pod, the mounting of the ECM pod there prevents the rotation of the Pave tack pod. Which meant the Pave tack couldnt be used for navigation, targeting or damage assessment, as it was locked in the bomb bay.

Some of the most enduring images of Desert Storm, ie the TV guided bomb attacks, were provided by the F-111Fs of the 493rd TFS.

Edited by ElectroSoldier

Well, I couldn´t even make it out in the "aft belly" position in the video - did you spot it?

I´m still deciding what I load on my F-111F when I build it - I was planning to give it a lot of Durandals, but would love a GBU-15-load as well. And I don´t necessary want a third F-111F in my stash - they take up a lot of space... Well, decisions, decisions...

HAJO

5 hours ago, Hajo L. said:

Well, I couldn´t even make it out in the "aft belly" position in the video - did you spot it?

I´m still deciding what I load on my F-111F when I build it - I was planning to give it a lot of Durandals, but would love a GBU-15-load as well. And I don´t necessary want a third F-111F in my stash - they take up a lot of space... Well, decisions, decisions...

HAJO

With the quality of the video its hard to make out if the ventral strakes are there let alone anything else.

The BLU-107 was a valid F-111F weapon, however, it wasnt liked by the F-111F crews and given the laser designation capabilities of the F model it was decided a Paveway with the BLU-109 warhead was a better way to go for their runway denial missions and all the BLU-107 weapons were sent over to Upper Heyford for their F-111Es to carry.

The delivery profile for the BLU-107 isnt a prefered method if an alternative is available, which it is with the BLU-109 GBU-10.

Thats not to say the F-111F didnt carry the BLU-107. a quartet of BRU-3/As with the BLU-107 slant loaded is possible, but Im not sure if it was ever done. But I know it was tested.