Special Hobby 1/48 X-15A-2 Build

This really looks good Randy! I'm certain the new owner is quite pleased with your result!

I hope you got paid handsomely for it ... like maybe a full tank o' GAS!

I've been watching Spacecraft Films Apollo 16 EVA's and constantly say to myself, this was all done FIFTY ... years ... ago.

The Technology, the LRV, its Camera, their Spacesuits, the LM and ... I'm more amazed at the balls on the Astronauts.

Including those X-15 pilots. I can NOT imagine our upcoming generation doing this ...

Your GORGEOUS model has certainly inspired me Randy! And it would be terrific if its NEW owner is drawn to reading about these risk-takers!

Thank Randy!

Pete

Pete,

Yes, he definitely compensated me for the work. (More than I expected.)  He is a high power rocketeer and a fan of the X-15, he is really into it.  And, I agree, it is hard to imagine the upcoming generation doing something like this.  Maybe the projects of SpaceX will inspire them.

Davidf888: Sorry for the late reply.  I purchased the stand from Amazon it was item "SkyMarks SKRWSTAND Large 4.5 x 3.5 inch Wood Stand For Large Body Airliner".  Believe me, it took a lot of searching to find the right stand. When I originally bought it I thought I was going to have to buy a threaded insert to make it work.  I was very pleased that it came with one.  It was not advertised that it came with it.

dekon70: Thanks for the kind words. It turned out better than I thought it would when I started.

Thanks, those details came out better than I expected.  I've seen posts by another modeler that did the 1/32 scale one and he used brass wire.  It looked beautiful.  I didn't have any on hand of a proper size and I wasn't sure I could get the standoffs all drilled perfectly in line, so I used the styrene rods that I did have. They were a bit more forgiving than the brass rod would have been.

• 1 month later...

FlyAndFight,

Thanks for the kind words.  That was my first Special Hobby kit build.  I wish now that I had picked up the Special Hobby 1/72 scale kit.  I'm sure it would have been better than the Monogram one that is in my stash.