CD48206 - 1/48 USAF HH-53/MH-53

1 hour ago, thegoodsgt said:

Are these Res-Kit fuel tanks the Late 650 gallon variant?

LINK

Yes, they are the large 650 gal tanks in the bottom photo of the MH-53J/M.  RH-53Ds & CH-53Es also used them.  MH-53Es had the super large sponsons, instead.

Edited by Dutch
3 hours ago, KursadA said:

I contacted Res-Kit and they are willing to do the drop tanks and the early HH-53B braces/pylons. What we now need is a good set of drawings and photos.

A 1/48 pair of 450-gal F-105-style tanks shouldn't present a problem - I'm guessing there are Thunderchief scale plans available which include them; alternatively, the Airfix 1/72 kit items could be 'scaled up'...

I'm not aware, however, of any scale plans of the HH-53B - and whilst the bracing struts would be fairly easy to replicate just from photos, the fuselage-to-tank mount 'fairings' on top of the sponsons will be a little more problematical. The best photo references I've found for them are part of the walkarounds here: http://www.arcair.com/awa01/801-900/awa812-MH-53J-Collings/00.shtm and here: http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle3/th-53j_66-14432/index.php?Page=1

There's also this full-size version of the head-on shot I posted on page three: https://catalog.archives.gov/OpaAPI/media/6438644/content/arcmedia/stillpix/330-cfd/1989/DF-ST-89-09541.jpeg

On 6/14/2022 at 12:37 PM, andyf117 said:

Four types of tanks carried by USAF H-53s - there were a few variations on the intermediate types, in shape, fin type, and how it was carried.

Kursad's profiles depict the three main types - the 'intermediate' in the second pic below appears to have only been carried by USAFE aircraft.

As always, check references for what's appropriate for the subject being depicted. Click to enlarge.

H-53Tanks.thumb.jpg.889ce227a7a37ba0e777b044dac458e5.jpg

If we label these four pictures 1 - 4.  One being the top picture and four being the bottom.  I'm assuming that the Res kit tanks are #4.  My question is: which pictures correspond to the two types of tanks in the Revell kit?  Also, do certain batwings go with certain tanks?  Revell supplies two different types of batwings and two types of tanks and I'm not sure what goes with what?  TIA

TIA, 

The Revell kit re-tooled their offering and included the CH-53E style blades and upgraded bat wings and 650 gallon tanks to model the CH-53G/GS.  The Reskit 650 gallon tanks are indeed picture #4.  The kit supplied tanks in the new CH-53G/GS are correct tanks for both a USMC, USN, and USAF late H-53's. In picture #3, you can use the original batwings and tanks from the Revell kit early release and your batwings will be correct.

Remember if you choose to do the picture #4 USAF version, you will need to modify the CH-53G/GS batwings by cutting out some of the fairing in the rear of the batwing to tank mounting area.  For some reason the USAF batwings have a gap back there instead of panels covering that gap like installed on the Navy/Marine version of the same batwing.  But this can easily be done.

USAF_late_tanks.jpg

Above I have highlighted the cut out area of the last batwing the USAF used.  You would have to modify the CH-53G/GS revell supplied batwings to make this version.  Not hard.  The kit supplied tanks are correct as well.  Reskit tanks are correct too, and have no seams to sand.

USMC_USN_USAF_batwing.jpg

The above batwing and tank is supplied in the earlier releases of the 1/48th Revell CH-53D with HMH-363 markings and jeep and howitzer included.

See below picture:

revell_early_ch53.jpg

Edited by YF65_CH53E
On 6/15/2022 at 3:26 PM, andyf117 said:

I'm not aware, however, of any scale plans of the HH-53B - and whilst the bracing struts would be fairly easy to replicate just from photos, the fuselage-to-tank mount 'fairings' on top of the sponsons will be a little more problematical. The best photo references I've found for them are part of the walkarounds here: http://www.arcair.com/awa01/801-900/awa812-MH-53J-Collings/00.shtm and here: http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle3/th-53j_66-14432/index.php?Page=1

There's also this full-size version of the head-on shot I posted on page three: https://catalog.archives.gov/OpaAPI/media/6438644/content/arcmedia/stillpix/330-cfd/1989/DF-ST-89-09541.jpeg

Andrew,

Didn't Aviation News Plans Service offer a set of 1/72 H-53 scale drawings?  Let me dig through my AN plans to see if I can locate them.

K/r,

Dutch

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Academy released a re-pop of Fujimi's old 1/72 CH-53D kit with new "Operation Frequent Wind" markings. Kit #12575. I assume that the HH-53C and RH-53D will follow later this fall.

Edited by Dutch
add scale
2 hours ago, Dutch said:

Academy released a re-pop of Fujimi's old CH-53D kit with new "Operation Frequent Wind" markings. Kit #12575. I assume that the HH-53C and RH-53D will follow later this fall.

So Dutch, I just bought that Academy kit, knowing it was a reboot the Fujimi CH-53D.  To my surprise, the kit includes all extra parts to make additional H-53 variants:

USAF HH53C Jolly Green Giant

USAF MH53J Pave Low

USN RH53D Minesweeper

German HEER CH53G

2 sets of glass windscreens (w and wo refueling probe), nose radar/electronics for Pave Low, rear view mirrors and different tanks for Minesweeper, regular and EAPS intakes.  Just has 1 set of early style rotors, not the later ones German 53's used.

I'm sure they'll issue the kit in other markings.

Still, we need a really good set of 1/72 CH-53 markings.  Hmmm . . . . Anybody know a good decal manufacturer who only has to scale down their existing 1/48 offerings???

Rod.

Edited by Rod D
On 8/21/2022 at 6:36 PM, Rod D said:

So Dutch, I just bought that Academy kit, knowing it was a reboot the Fujimi CH-53D.  To my surprise, the kit includes all extra parts to make additional H-53 variants:

USAF MH53J Pave Low

USN RH53D Minesweeper

German HEER CH53G

2 sets of glass windscreens (w and wo refueling probe), nose radar/electronics for Pave Low, rear view mirrors and different tanks for Minesweeper, regular and EAPS intakes.  Just has 1 set of early style rotors, not the later ones German 53's used.

Still, we need a really good set of 1/72 CH-53 markings.  Hmmm . . . . Anybody know a good decal manufacturer who only has to scale down their existing 1/48 offerings???

Rod.

Rod,  Wow!  All those extra goodies is great news!  I currently have the Testors 1/72 HH-53C in the stash, but if this comes with the RH-53D extras (BTW, I don't think Fujimi ever included the mirrors.), I will think real hard about it. K/r, Dutch

Edited by Dutch
add scale
20 hours ago, Rod D said:

USAF MH53J Pave Low

USN RH53D Minesweeper

German HEER CH53G

Rod.

Do you mean this kit? :- https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AC12575?result-token=tdhJP

The modern blades for the German version, are these the same ones that were used by the late MH-53 Low paves?

20 hours ago, Dutch said:

Rod,  Wow!  All those extra goodies is great news!  I currently have the Testors HH-53C in the stash, but if this comes with the RH-53D extras (BTW, I don't think Fujimi ever included the mirrors.), I will think real hard about it. K/r, Dutch

I have an original Fujimi RH53 and it does in fact come with the mirrors.  And, it's molded in a garish dark blue (Fujimi often misinterpreted Gloss Engine Gray as dark blue on their box art and plastic color choices.)

RD  

4 minutes ago, Rod D said:

I have an original Fujimi RH53 and it does in fact come with the mirrors.  And, it's molded in a garish dark blue (Fujimi often misinterpreted Gloss Engine Gray as dark blue on their box art and plastic color choices.)

RD  

I had that same kit also. Same blue plastic, though I would call it a mid blue. Now, Monogram's old 1/48 WWII naval fighters, (F4F, F6F, F4U, TBF, SB2C), those were molded in dark blue.  Hmmm, maybe I just didn't look hard enough at the instructions or in the box. My memory ain't what it used to be, but then and again, I can remember some things clear as a bell. Maybe I should start taking prevagen. 🤔 

On 6/14/2022 at 3:37 PM, andyf117 said:

Four types of tanks carried by USAF H-53s - there were a few variations on the intermediate types, in shape, fin type, and how it was carried.

Kursad's profiles depict the three main types - the 'intermediate' in the second pic below appears to have only been carried by USAFE aircraft.

As always, check references for what's appropriate for the subject being depicted. Click to enlarge.

H-53Tanks.thumb.jpg.889ce227a7a37ba0e777b044dac458e5.jpg

Andy,

Is it just me, or were the first two style tanks basically F-105 wing and centerline tanks, respectively?  I was doing a little research for building a 1/144 HH-53C and RH-53D conversion of the Revell CH-53G kit (sans tanks, bat wings, IFR probe, winch, etc...).  After looking online, I discovered the old Otaki F-105D kit with two wing tanks and centerline tank as standard fit. (Scroll down until you get to the sprue shots.)  I can hang ordnance instead of tanks on the F-105 model, so thought that I may have a solution to my HH/RH-53 tank problem.  I still have to create the other mods, but I could use the wing tanks for an early Vietnam era HH-53C and two centerline tanks for a later MH-53J/M or a RH-53D.  I am speaking of 1/144 scale. (Probably unnecessary in 1/72 & 1/48 scale as the available kits already offer external tanks.)

K/r,

Dutch

2 hours ago, Dutch said:

Andy,

Is it just me, or were the first two style tanks basically F-105 wing and centerline tanks, respectively?  I was doing a little research for building a 1/144 HH-53C and RH-53D conversion of the Revell CH-53G kit (sans tanks, bat wings, IFR probe, winch, etc...).  After looking online, I discovered the old Otaki F-105D kit with two wing tanks and centerline tank as standard fit. (Scroll down until you get to the sprue shots.)  I can hang ordnance instead of tanks on the F-105 model, so thought that I may have a solution to my HH/RH-53 tank problem.  I still have to create the other mods, but I could use the wing tanks for an early Vietnam era HH-53C and two centerline tanks for a later MH-53J/M or a RH-53D.  I am speaking of 1/144 scale. (Probably unnecessary in 1/72 & 1/48 scale as the available kits already offer external tanks.)

K/r,

Dutch

Dutch

It's always been my understanding that the original 450-gal ones were F-105 wing tanks, minus the vertical fin...

....as for the centreline one, it would make sense that having adapted one type, the other could have been too...

....looking at a few F-105 photos, I'm inclined to think you may be right - a couple do look very similar in shape...

....given your plan, I suspect you'll soon be asking @KursadAif he'll scale his sheets down further to 1/144th! 🤣

2 hours ago, Jabba29 said:

Thanks, one now on order.

You did note that as per Rod's original post above, the kit only has the metal main rotor blades, NOT the CH-53G/MH-53J composite type...

16 hours ago, andyf117 said:

Dutch

It's always been my understanding that the original 450-gal ones were F-105 wing tanks, minus the vertical fin...

....as for the centreline one, it would make sense that having adapted one type, the other could have been too...

....looking at a few F-105 photos, I'm inclined to think you may be right - a couple do look very similar in shape...

....given your plan, I suspect you'll soon be asking @KursadAif he'll scale his sheets down further to 1/144th! 🤣

Andy, given that Kursad just ordered his 1/72 Academy kit, I'll wait a few months after he releases the 1/72 sheet before I suggest combining the USN/USMC & USAF markings onto a single limited run 1/144 sheet.  What, say 250 sheets should sell well, n'est pas? 😎

21 hours ago, andyf117 said:

You did note that as per Rod's original post above, the kit only has the metal main rotor blades, NOT the CH-53G/MH-53J composite type...

Oops, mis read that may cancel now and still go with the Airfx/Italeri mash up that I was planning, but having to get the blades from somewhere else now that Whirlybirds have now shut down.

1 hour ago, Jabba29 said:

Oops, mis read that may cancel now and still go with the Airfx/Italeri mash up that I was planning, but having to get the blades from somewhere else now that Whirlybirds have now shut down.

Whirlybirds shut down?  😪

5 hours ago, Jabba29 said:

My "Airfix/Italeri mash-up" with modified blades - not as difficult to do as the fully-detailed interior - 1993 IPMS Nationals 'Scale Aircraft Modelling Trophy' winner:

53J01.thumb.JPG.3be296099271c5cde65d3a046e73c734.JPG

17 hours ago, andyf117 said:

My "Airfix/Italeri mash-up" with modified blades - not as difficult to do as the fully-detailed interior - 1993 IPMS Nationals 'Scale Aircraft Modelling Trophy' winner:

53J01.thumb.JPG.3be296099271c5cde65d3a046e73c734.JPG

ABSOLUTELY STUNNING, thanks for sharing Andy!!  1/72 scale as well.....my old tired eyes couldn't even imagine.

Gunny

1 hour ago, YF65_CH53E said:

ABSOLUTELY STUNNING, thanks for sharing Andy!!  1/72 scale as well.....my old tired eyes couldn't even imagine.

Gunny

The HH-53C built at the same time has a fully-detailed interior too - IIRC, they each contained 400+ individual bits of plastic, from stringers to seats, ceiling lights to Stokes litters, .50-cal pintles and ammo boxes to M134 minigun mounts and wiring:

53C01.thumb.JPG.72fae07688f3f5948c5ce30902a1c8a4.JPG

@Jabba29: This view illustrates well the original kit blades in comparison to the modified ones above; making the composite type - applicable to all the MH-53 options on @KursadA's sheet - is fairly simple, requiring angling in both leading and trailing edges at the tips, and adding angled root extensions. For the latter, I had a scrap kit blade to hand, but plastic card would work just as well - as it would also in 1/48, for anyone converting an earlier issue of the Revell kit.

Edited by andyf117