VC-10 Tanker Question

The K.2 was a converted BOAC Standard VC10, and all BOAC Standards had the wing without the 4% leading edge extension (you will see a step in the leading edge of the C.1 as well as Super VC10s).  The engine thrustline of the K.2 was also in line with the fuselage datum, whereas the C.1 had the same arrangement as the Super VC10 with a 3 or 4 degree tilt up of the engine axis (i.e. downthrust). 

Yes, the C.1 (the refuelling function was added later to make them C.1Ks) have the short fuselage of the Standard VC10, but the wings and engines of the Supers.  The military variants also have an APU in the tailcone, so that is sticking out a bit further than the civilian ones.  Not sure if the K.2 got that modification, but the K.3 and K.4 would.

Hey Dutch.... yeah, they were two point only, with only the wing pods. I’m just wondering... if the wings were different, were the vertical tail and horizontal stabs different too?  I don’t think so, but I’m not positive... 🤨

Tom,

No, horizontal stabs were the same for all models of VC10. Which kit are you using?  Airfix VC10 K.2 kit may be easiest.  Just remove the ventral HDU @ fill and putty to shape, (add steroptic camera mount on centerline), then add the Bra.Z wing leading edges and Conway engines / pods if you are a real stickler.  Which scheme are you intending: white over grey with blue cheatline, or med / lt grey camouflaged?   

K/r,

Dutch

Thanks Dutch... I’m in the “possible near future project” stage right now... just starting some research.  I’ve got a Roden K.3 kit and an Airfix fuselage from an earlier build that didn’t make it. So I think I have all I need to do a C.1K... It would be grey overall.  I just have so many possible projects calling out to me... including the new Academy B-52 I just got, sitting on the coffee table in front of me...! I’ve got to wrap up these two -135s first though...!