37 minutes ago, Geoff M said:

When I started this topic I didn't have facebook (still don't) so I could not post on there.  I don't know if anyone else has.  It has been interesting to read all the different views, and since I have no business need for people to see my posts I think I will stick with the forums and not join facebook.

Geoff M

I’m finding more and more very useful modeling and aviation / military history sites on FB.  It’s not a place to foster long running conversations or deep dives into topics but it does have its place.  Especially on private pages that are heavy with veterans. I’ve found some awesome pics and stories on these pages.    

Keep in mind, you can set up an account under a bogus name and lock down all the privacy settings if you are concerned about people seeing your posts.    

15 hours ago, 11bee said:

I’m finding more and more very useful modeling and aviation / military history sites on FB.  It’s not a place to foster long running conversations or deep dives into topics but it does have its place.  Especially on private pages that are heavy with veterans. I’ve found some awesome pics and stories on these pages.    

Keep in mind, you can set up an account under a bogus name and lock down all the privacy settings if you are concerned about people seeing your posts.    

I really see where you use information.  Your outstanding Mosquito, Mustang and Corsair builds show that you really research and study your subjects.  So you gather lots of information.  I can appreciate that there is more info out there.  My finding with more information as it relates to modelling is it rarely answers questions or mysteries, it only creates more questions and mysteries (what paint is the best olive drab?). Just like in this forum when someone makes an absolute statement about his experience or knowledge it is a guarantee that someone will post a picture that throws doubt into that.  I guess I am just not so caught up in accuracy so much as putting glue and paint to plastic.  As for history, I do like history but there is books for that.  This forum for the time being provides an adequate outlet for my modelling expression.

Geoff M

I see there's a lot of fantastic builds and members on the Facebook page that you won"t ever get to see here on the Forum.  It does look like there's more activity on that side of the woods. The ease of posting pictures directly from your phone may have something to do with it. Is it true, though, that Facebook can collect information from the media you upload from your mobile?

Edited by crackerjazz

The metadata header on phone pics often contains the GPS coordinates where the pic was taken. Not saying Fakebook does this but it would not be hard to scrape the time stamp and location of uploaded photos to effectively track your activities (including when you AREN’T at home…)

Many digital cameras can also add location to meta headers but you can disable the “feature”. 

Scraping data from meta headers is not exclusive to Farcbook but it is part of the data they sell to advertisers. 

edit: if this concerns you then read this link:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gadgets.ndtv.com/apps/features/remove-location-data-from-photos-view-edit-exif-android-windows-mac-iphone-1821872

Edited by habu2