Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hate FB, and when possible I post my update here or the other forums/site I follow.

Unfortunately I'd create a FB/IG page  for our workshop as it's work related, but is my brother that update the Facebook page.

But for my plastic models ARC is my primary choice.

Unfortunately I'm one of these less active members recently, hope for the new year to return more constantly with new updates...

 

Gianni

Link to post
Share on other sites

I see fighter squadrons having their own facebook pages, which I thought would go against military security policies but I guess it's a way to keep in touch with families.  Modeling-wise I find it difficult to keep track of people's work as it's not as organized as dedicated forums. No threads to follow and be able to refer back to.  Or maybe I just don't know how to use it too well : (  It's fun to see what old friends are up to but be prepared for the time warp. You sit down to open facebook and after a short while two hours have passed.  It's a real time-waster : )  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/25/2021 at 10:09 AM, Slartibartfast said:

My post was tongue-in-cheek. I remember when that page was created.  That said, I believe I visited it once early on.  I am a fan of forum threading, so I stay here.

 

Gotcha.

Steve

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I signed up for the Facebook group but I’m thinking of leaving.  I really like seeing the build process and narrative.  Spaceman's epic STS-6 build is a case in point.  I also like the history content sprinkled about.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have preferred that forums like this one did better and if I didn't need them for my day job I'd probably be off Facebook (and Twitter) altogether for various reasons.  But I've tried to make the most of those platforms by posting progress on my modeling work there, for non-modeling acquaintances to see.  These are people who don't frequent modeling sites, groups, or YouTube channels, so they don't know how poor my modeling skills are by comparison, and the feedback is always generous!  Kidding aside, I suspect I've kindled a little interest in the hobby, based on some questions I've received over the last several weeks.  I figure our hobby is now so severely nerdy, that it's come full circle to being hipster-cool, and ripe for a renaissance.  (Then we'll have to put up with all the posers claiming they were building kits "back in the day." 🙄  Whatever, bro.) So I figure I might do the hobby a little service, so long as I need to be there.  But despite belonging to a few modeling groups on Facebook, I generally value the quality of interaction between modelers here more than Facebook or Twitter.

 

Dave's right, in that forums like these are at least a proto-form of social media, or as we used to say "web 2.0."  In fact, when in my job I need to discuss the potential for online learning (online courses, education) I often point to forums like this in the 2000s or even earlier as examples where learners can teach each other, as well as kindle enthusiasm for learning.  This runs contrary to dogmatic claims that online education can/will never work, or be inferior to classroom instruction in every respect.  

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes Virginia there is an ARC Facebook page.  I run it.  Steve has pretty much handed it over to me to take care of it. I spend a lot of time making sure it's run properly with no SPAM.  People who want to join have to answer a series of three questions to be admitted. It is a Private Group. It is excellent for photos. And easy to track your own if you simply create an album of your own photos. Each form of media has it's own advantages and disadvantages like you all have enumerated. Personal choice I guess. If anyone has any questions about ARC's Facebook presence feel free to ask here and I will try to answer them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, jabow said:

Seems like a 'duplication of effort'.  What's wrong with this one???

 

Now ARC itself seems to have faded away.  No updates since 13 DEC!!

 

Bo

 

Hey relax... Steve is working 110 hours a week and has been for months now.  He's doing the best he can.  He'll be back once he gets out of the hole.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2021 at 9:29 AM, jonwinn said:

I had a FB account. I saw all the hacking going on so I dumped it. My wife kept hers to keep in touch with friends and the kids. She was just hacked. All the current modelling sites are slow, I have seen some posts still the same for months. Not sure why as I only frequent a few sites and they are very slow. I am almost thinking modelers are going the way of the dinosaurs anyways. Good to see I am not the only FB holdout. jon


Not truly hacked, scumbags make a account with the same name and your profile picture, they then send new invites to all your friends faking that they are you. Facebook could prevent this, but they don’t.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

People who want to join have to answer a series of three questions to be admitted.

 

What is your name?

What is your quest?

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2022 at 9:33 AM, jabow said:

Seems like a 'duplication of effort'.  What's wrong with this one???

 

Bo

 

 

There are members here that have zero interest in joining Facebook and there are modelers on Facebook that have zero interest in joining this forum. Nothing is 'wrong' with either and it isn't a duplication of effort. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/20/2021 at 11:27 AM, ElectroSoldier said:

Social media is good for people like Dave Roof because the analytics, as limited as they are on facebook, show he that what he is doing is reaching people.

He doesnt have that on here so cant see if there are any results to his efforts. Not that there are no results, he just cant see them.

 

Oh, I can see them and they're quite disappointing here. To give a good visual example, here are the announcements I made for my two new decal sheets on Facebook and the Jet Modeling Forum. 

 

I was able to reach a much larger audience not only on my page, but the shares exposed them to even more modelers. While Kursad has great success here on the forums, several others don't. When was the last time you saw Furball, Fightertown or Bullseye posting product announcements here? 

 

Another huge advantage (for some) Facebook has over the modeling forums is the help available for research. I'm releasing new 3D printed wheels for the F/A-18 and as I no longer have access to the aircraft, needed some help with measurements that I didn't have in my files. Posted a request for help on one of the squadron pages and within an hour had a Marine at MCAS Miramar send me photos and measurements of Hornet wheels and tires. 

 

Need immediate help with your 3D printer? There's a group for that on FB

Need immediate help with your silhouette or cameo vinyl cutter? There's a group for that on FB

Trying to learn Fusion 360 and need help? There's a group for that on FB.

Want to talk directly with the guys over at Detail & Scale? They have a page on FB

 

Simply put, the vast amount of resources available on Facebook, whether it's scale modeling or any other subject you may be interested in, greatly outnumbers those found on these forums. 

 

 

 

forumvsfb.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I was once a member of ARC, then real life intervened, and now I'm back.

I had a FB account for about ten years, then got shed of it. I do miss some very specific modeling groups (my son stays there for the simple fact there are some modeling/wargaming groups on there for which there is no forum.)

Like many, I prefer forums for a lot of the reasons listed. I may sign back up to FB for some of the specific modeling groups.

I haven't posted anything here or visited in a few years because I had nothing to say or post, and what interests I was pursuing were better met by some other forums.

 

FWIW, YMMV,

 

Warren

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

 

Oh, I can see them and they're quite disappointing here. To give a good visual example, here are the announcements I made for my two new decal sheets on Facebook and the Jet Modeling Forum. 

 

I was able to reach a much larger audience not only on my page, but the shares exposed them to even more modelers. While Kursad has great success here on the forums, several others don't. When was the last time you saw Furball, Fightertown or Bullseye posting product announcements here? 

 

Another huge advantage (for some) Facebook has over the modeling forums is the help available for research. I'm releasing new 3D printed wheels for the F/A-18 and as I no longer have access to the aircraft, needed some help with measurements that I didn't have in my files. Posted a request for help on one of the squadron pages and within an hour had a Marine at MCAS Miramar send me photos and measurements of Hornet wheels and tires. 

 

Need immediate help with your 3D printer? There's a group for that on FB

Need immediate help with your silhouette or cameo vinyl cutter? There's a group for that on FB

Trying to learn Fusion 360 and need help? There's a group for that on FB.

Want to talk directly with the guys over at Detail & Scale? They have a page on FB

 

Simply put, the vast amount of resources available on Facebook, whether it's scale modeling or any other subject you may be interested in, greatly outnumbers those found on these forums. 

 

 

 

 

Kursad are the only decals I know about. Furball, Fightertown or Bullseye I only ever see when their new products hit ebay.

I think Ive missed out on loads of decal sheets because they rely on facebook.

Not all of us are tied into that platform Dave.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't do Facebook for various reasons.  I think You Tube also has contributed to the decrease in traffic on the various boards.  There are some terrific builds and instructional videos there.

 

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph
Link to post
Share on other sites

For you guys who don't want all the crap that goes along with FB just make your own account and don't accept any friend requests.  Just use it to join the specific groups that pertain to your own particular interests

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, terrysumner said:

For you guys who don't want all the crap that goes along with FB just make your own account and don't accept any friend requests.  Just use it to join the specific groups that pertain to your own particular interests

Im on facebook. I dont use it to keep track of groups like that because its really really **** at it because of its timeline based news feed.

 

Had this been facebook not a forum that post you just made above. What are the odds on me seeing it in 4-5 days time when I check in again after I finish work?

Slim to none if youre being really honest. I would have to scroll a lot to get to see it wouldnt I... 

And how many times does a normal person sit there scrolling through 5 days worth of posts on there? Not very often.

 

For some it works, for others who dont want to sit in the echo chamber it doesnt work at all no matter how you try to work it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only groups I was part of that I actually got anything out of was one which allowed users to buy and sell.

All the others were more a showcase for completed builds, build photo albums etc.

Not really of much interest to me at all.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m curious, is this same topic being debated on the f-book version of ARC? 
 

I’m not so curious that I would get on f-book to find out…..

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Not all of us are tied into that platform Dave.

 

Not once have I said or implied anyone had to be. Simply pointed out why some prefer FB over the forum due to how many more modelers can be reached. 

 

2 hours ago, habu2 said:

I’m curious, is this same topic being debated on the f-book version of ARC? 
 

I’m not so curious that I would get on f-book to find out…..

 

No, it isn't. Almost everything posted on the Facebook ARC page are photos of built or in-progress models. Other than the comments made in response to those photos/posts, there aren't a whole lot of 'discussions' going on.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dave Roof said:

 

Not once have I said or implied anyone had to be. Simply pointed out why some prefer FB over the forum due to how many more modelers can be reached. 

 

wooo slow down.
Going by what you have said here in that you reach far far far more people on facebook than you ever could on here then I would say that you in, in a business sense tied into that platform.

 

Theres nothing wrong with that. especially if you dont mind the platform.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, habu2 said:

I’m curious, is this same topic being debated on the f-book version of ARC? 
 

I’m not so curious that I would get on f-book to find out…..

When I started this topic I didn't have facebook (still don't) so I could not post on there.  I don't know if anyone else has.  It has been interesting to read all the different views, and since I have no business need for people to see my posts I think I will stick with the forums and not join facebook.

 

Geoff M

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...