SBD-5 Raised Rivet Question

Good morning,

New to this forum, have lurked for a long time. I mostly build armor but watched a Youtube video on the old Accurate Miniatures SBD-5 build and decided to get one.

After reading several reviews I realized that this model has the correct recessed panel lines, but it is missing all of the raised rivet detail. No problem, Archer makes resin decal rivets in 1/48 scale, so figured I would give them a shot. It's expensive, but I think the raised detail will look better than using one of the rivet makers that indent the rivets.

I guess my question is, does anyone know where to find scale photos so I can figure out how many rivets and the rivet patterns?

I can look at some photos to get an idea, but a drawing I can print would be much more preferable.

Thanks!

Steve

Hello, Steve; welcome to the forum.

I can recommend the Detail & Scale book on the Dantles; it has lots of close-up photos where you can see the details and various diagrams with the riveting pattern; in the digital version, you can zoom in to appreciate the details.

In my opinion, Archer's ones are slightly big to make an exact copy of the rivets on 1/48, but you can get a good representation using two types of patterns for closed and spaced rivet lines. A mix of Archer and HGW rivets (link) could be interesting also.

Regards

Carlos