Boneyard Spraylat Coating

Hello all...

What would you use to mimic the Spraylat coating found on boneyard birds?  I don't think that just painting the areas white would provide the thicker plastic film Spraylat seems to produce.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

Many years ago, I tried brushing on Liquid Paper "white-out."  Worked ok and provided some depth, but definitely looked brushed on.  I think it would be worth trying again if it could be thinned slightly. 

What sort of boneyard project do you have in mind?

Chris

Maybe mask off the area you want the Spraylat on, and apply Mr. Surfacer?  Lightly sand to smooth it out, and it should be fine - it will also fill in the panel lines under the Spraylat which, I think, is what you would want.

3 hours ago, andyf117 said:

Masking normally used for protecting transparencies during painting - Humbrol Maskol or a liquid latex alternative such as Copydex (already white)...

Thanks for the feedback.  Interesting thought about Maskol and the such.  Definitely worth considering.

3 hours ago, Gator52 said:

Many years ago, I tried brushing on Liquid Paper "white-out."  Worked ok and provided some depth, but definitely looked brushed on.  I think it would be worth trying again if it could be thinned slightly. 

What sort of boneyard project do you have in mind?

Chris

Liquid paper is the first thing I thought about for this but, like you said, the brushed on look was the first thing that pop in my head. I'd like to see if "white-out" could the thinned and sprayed out of an airbrush but I'm sure cleaning the a/b will present a whole different challenge.

I'm trying depict a boneyard F-14A

Edited by galileo1
1 hour ago, Joe Hegedus said:

Maybe mask off the area you want the Spraylat on, and apply Mr. Surfacer?  Lightly sand to smooth it out, and it should be fine - it will also fill in the panel lines under the Spraylat which, I think, is what you would want.

Mmm...I do have some Mr. Finishing Surfacer 1500 white I could try.  Don't think it'll be thick enough though.  Worth a try...

On 12/19/2021 at 4:44 PM, aircommando130 said:

Maybe sprinkle in some talcum powder to the white paint while it's wet. 

The first coat of Spraylet is black. then the white is applied over that. 

Cheers...Ron

oh..didn’t know that the first coat was black.  Kinda makes sense now as I’ve Sean a black border surrounding the white.  Thanks for the info and tip.

What about using actual latex?  I would try going to the local Home Depot or Lowe's, and buying a very small (8 oz??) jar of gloss white latex paint?  Seems to me that might obscure the details enough (like Spraylat), but still level itself off as it cures.

Rod.