1/48 - Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21F "Fishbed-C" by Eduard -3D renders

To be precise this is the Czechoslovak Aero Vodochody built version of the MiG-21F-13 or Type 74. The first Fishben version in service, the MiG-21F (Type72) and the Russian built MiG-21F-13 differ from this Eduard version. From a kit based on this CAD images only the Czech AF versions can be built!

Hope this is not the final CAD version, there are still details missing from it, or simply not visible.

Best regards

Gabor

Yes, Gabor is right. The Russian-built examples had a clear area behind the cockpit showing the fuel pipes and had clear panels in the pilot's rear armour plate so that he could, in theory, rubberneck to see behind. But were there other noticeable differences? (I'm mostly interested in making Finnish and Arab 'F-13 jets.)

I suppose that panel behind the cockpit with the antenna sticking out might come in clear plastic anyway.

Really chuffed about this Eduard kit. Looks like we get the option of no-dremel open airbrakes at last.

I'll keep the Trumpeter for comparison but it's going to look silly next to the Eduard.

Tony 

It was stated earlier that for the moment only a CAD exists for this kit. The obvious question springing to mind was WHEN will the kit be ready.

Here is the answer from that alleged CEO of the company.

XhmBP2w.jpg

Based on this the kit could be ready for 2022 E day in September, OR later that year, OR early in 2023. But this CEO has no idea how many parts / sprues will be needed so it is not clear what the costs will be of tooling for the kit.

The English version in this print screen is with modelforum cz’s own translator version.

Best regards

Gabor

On 12/19/2021 at 9:37 AM, ya-gabor said:

To be precise this is the Czechoslovak Aero Vodochody built version of the MiG-21F-13 or Type 74. The first Fishben version in service, the MiG-21F (Type72) and the Russian built MiG-21F-13 differ from this Eduard version. From a kit based on this CAD images only the Czech AF versions can be built!

Hope this is not the final CAD version, there are still details missing from it, or simply not visible.

Best regards

Gabor

Where did the North Vietnamese get their Mig21's from?

gary

20 minutes ago, ChesshireCat said:

Where did the North Vietnamese get their Mig21's from?

gary

Of course from Russia or to be more precise Soviet Union. 

The Czechoslovak production was for the Czech Air Force and a few dozens were made for export only. 

Best regards

Gabor

I would like to ask HomeBee to change the title of the thread. In its current form it is misleading and does not represent correctly what Eduard is planning to produce in the distant future.

As it stands and the title suggests, Eduard will be making the MiG-21F version (or designation Type 72).

This (MiG-21F) is a very different aircraft from the MiG-21F-13 (Type 74) which is under development at this aftermarket company.

Thanks in advance for the correction!

Best regards

Gabor

12 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Of course from Russia or to be more precise Soviet Union. 

The Czechoslovak production was for the Czech Air Force and a few dozens were made for export only. 

Best regards

Gabor

Glad you answered that one for me. I thought they were all the same

gary

Had a look and the Czech AF production was about 165 and 20 or so for Egypt.

As far as I remeber the Vietnamese liked the MiG-21F-13 much more than the later model MiG-21PF.

Our own pilots also said that the F-13 was a jet sports plane which could do everything in the air. Not surprised that the Red Eagles also liked it in US. 

Best regards

Gabor

17 hours ago, Nebbor said:

|Hi ya-gabor,

could you please elaborate about the differences between MiG-21F and MiG-21F-13? All I could find is 1 vs 2 30mm cannons but that may be my Google skills.

TIA, best regards, Nebbor

There is little point in going into detailed analysis of differences between MiG-21F (Type 72) and MiG-21F-13 (Type 74). It would fill many pages here and everyone can look up the differences in books dealing with MiG fighters.

Yes, the most visible is the canopy and the two gun arrangement on MiG-21F (Type 72). But to make a proper kit for it one would need to make brand new fuselage parts, new vertical fin, new wings, new pylons, new pitot, new weapons, new cockpit and new ejection seat and this is only the start.

I seriously doubt that Eduard will make all this investment for the sake of version which was produced in very limited numbers, about 100 or so, has absolutely no historic relevance to the Czech AF. It was in service only a very short period with front line Soviet units but has spent far more time with training units.

Also lets not forget that the first true MiG-21F-13 (Type 74) also had many features inherited from the MiG-21F (Type 72) so a kit of the early F would yield parts for these early production MiG-21F-13’s also. But once again they were only in Russian service and as such have absolutely no interest for a Czech manufacturer.

The differences between the Russian and Czech manufactured version will be ignored by this producer and will be declared only “MINOR”, “IRRELEVANT”, “NOT VISIBLE”,  “UNIMPORTANT” . . .

Possibly the after cockpit transparent part will be made to cater for differences. Not much more.

Best regards

Gabor