Airfix 1/48 Supermarine Spitfire PR.19

Hello All,

My eighth and final completion for 2021 is Airfix's 1/48 Spitfire PR.19. Not the best kit, with some significant fit issues, poor quality moulding and rather over-emphasised panel lines, but pretty accurate by all accounts and a model of a great looking aircraft. My only additions were the whip aerial and the Rebecca Mk.II landing aid under the rear fuselage missed by Airfix. The scheme is from an Xtradecals sheet, but the serials are not quite right so in the end I only used the roundels, squadron crests and zeroes on the underwing serials. The tail flashes and prop stencils are from the kit and the serials are masked and airbrushed (the misalignment is intentional and somewhat neater than the real thing was). PRU Blue is from MRP and Medium Sea Grey from Mr Color. I've written a bit more about building the kit here: https://jonbryon.com/airfix-1-48-supermarine-spitfire-pr-19/

Comments very welcome

Jon

SpitfirePR19_17-1280x853.jpg

SpitfirePR19_03.jpg

SpitfirePR19_06.jpg

SpitfirePR19_05.jpg

SpitfirePR19_10.jpgSpitfirePR19_12.jpg

SpitfirePR19_09.jpgSpitfirePR19_20.jpg

SpitfirePR19_22.jpg

SpitfirePR19_28.jpgSpitfirePR19_27.jpg

SpitfirePR19_30.jpg

SpitfirePR19_36.jpg

SpitfirePR19_37.jpgSpitfirePR19_43.jpg

SpitfirePR19_45.jpg

SpitfirePR19_46.jpg

That does look the business. Though I would have perhaps dialled down on the panel line wash. Also most Spitfires had the undercarriage wells & doors painted in the same colour as the underside, that said neither of these 2 detract from the overall look.

-------------

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Really nice looking Spitfire.  I love the color, and the 5 bladed prop!  If you had difficulties during the build, it's not at all obvious from the finished product.  I'd love to do this airplane myself, with all the details you did...not sure i can see any way to improve upon what you did.  Great job!  

8 hours ago, Curt B said:

Really nice looking Spitfire.  I love the color, and the 5 bladed prop!  If you had difficulties during the build, it's not at all obvious from the finished product.  I'd love to do this airplane myself, with all the details you did...not sure i can see any way to improve upon what you did.  Great job!  

Thanks Curt 🙂

Jon