AV-8A Harrier Twin build - Monogram 1/48

My new year's resolution (as has been for many years) is to do something about the stash.    So I'll start chipping away slowly on multiple builds and see how far I can take it.   I tried focusing on one but it's driving me crazy -- it feels lonely eating just one dish from a buffet.  A little of everything might ease the loneliness : )    I've got these two Harriers in the stash that have been beckoning for affection for so many years so I'll try to give them a little love.

When the Kinetic AV-8A's came out I wanted to toss these kits.  But then I thought about how I've always wanted to learn how to rescribe so I'm trying to make good on that promise.  Except for rescribing these raised-panel-line kits and maybe doing a couple scratchbuilt swaybars I don't intend to do anything fancy.    I just hope to learn a thing or two about Harriers, practice scribing and finish two kits from the stash.  I actually tried to build a 1/24 a long time back but I found you can't get away with mistakes when it's in too big a scale.   For now I'll try to enjoy building these baby Harriers and see what I can come up with.

img%5D

Some inspiration shots:

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

That helmet reminds me of Snowspeeder pilots : )

img%5D

There's a hobby shop nearby that caters more to Gundam builders and they have a nice range of tools and implements.  Picked up a couple of these clear carving tapes -- 4mm and 10mm.   Being transparent you see where your lines are in context so that's a huge advantage over dymo tape.

I found that I can create patterns too and cut them on the Cricut to make templates:

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

Even with the templates I still found it difficult to rescribe using a pin : )   Maybe it'll get easier over time.

img%5D

Some shapes are easier to work than others but I'll try not to be too worried about mistakes.  I'll just keep reminding myself that this is a practice build.

I try to compare the panel lines with Kinetic photos online and try to follow those in some areas.   In other areas I just follow what's on the Monogram kit.

img%5D

Curves are harder -- like the lights.   

img%5D

Tried to scribe along the raised lines at first but I end up with a lot of slips-ups that way.   So where I don't get too lazy I tried to cut templates from the carving tape.

url%5D

img%5D

Sanded down with 600 grit.

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

Not perfect but good enough : )  This kit will probably not stand a chance to the Kinetic outing but something that takes more work is sometimes more memorable : )

img%5D

Edited by crackerjazz

Wow, you are doing a great job with the scribing; many years ago, I built that same kit, which was also my first try at re-escribing (and the only successful one to this day). I'm waiting for this kit to be rereleased to build it alongside Kinetic's one.

'll follow this build with interest.

Thanks cruiz : )  There's something about this plastic that lends itself so well to sanding and scribing.  Hi Jessirelli it's a blessing isn't it. If they had a tack-free version of this i could punch out clear windows for my 747 : )   Thanks Geoff and Merry Christmas to you, too.

img%5D

The Monogram instrument panel has enticing raised details that I thought would be easy to paint.   If only I could zap myself and my paint brush down to 1/48 scale.  Did my best, anyway.    Also opened up the bezel in the middle and made an eight-ball -- which is smack in the center of the IP and seems to be the biggest of all the instruments on the AV-8A.   I figured it would help draw your eyes to the eight-ball instead of the rest of the poorly-painted instrument panel : )

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

It's starting to look like an AV-8A instrument panel now...

Thanks, Gianni!

img%5D

Can't help but cut off the throttle on the kit and sand down the nozzle levers and stops which were molded on flat to the console.  Cut up some slits on the throttle hump and replaced the throttle and levers with some styrene and brass rods.

img%5D

Now the Harriers can hover : )

Hi Dutch, thanks!  : )  Thanks, Thadeus!   I'd say both fun and scary : )   The plastic is soft and takes to scribing easily -- I think that helps a lot.  I actually tried it on a Hasegawa 747 thinking I can now scribe anything with ease  -- it didn't work too well - it was like scribing a ceramic vase : )

img%5D 

Some of the raised panel lines on the shell halves don't meet up right.  I think it would be best to close up the halves before rescribing the fuse or I might run into the same issue.   Need to turn my attention to the cockpit for now so I can close up the fuselage.

img%5D  

Hmmm....should I use the kit's pilot figure above?   The proportions are off.

img%5D

Ok I'll use some Tamiya figures instead.  Will attach some Hasegawa heads -- the ones with the open visors (although the helmets may need some reshaping).   Replaced the neck with styrene rod so I can twist the head in any direction.   

img%5D 

Need to raise the headrest a bit.   I believe the SEU-3/A ejection seat head rest height is adjustable.   I tried scratchbuillding one for the 1/24 Airfix Harrier once and looking at reference pics it's got these rods along the side of the headrest that ride in front of the seat rails. Will try to look for the seat and pics to refresh my memory. 

img%5D

img%5D 

img%5D

img%5D

May also need to modify the HUD area a little.  

img%5D

Edited by crackerjazz

Thanks, Gianni!  : )

Ok couldn't find the seat, unfortunately.  But at least I still have some photos.   The seat was for a  1/24 Airfix Harrier project I abandoned.

img%5D 

The harness loops around those shackles.   And the headrest (do you call it a headrest)  height looks adjustable doesn't it?   This is probably the reason why some seat heights go beyond the top of the bulkhead.   The top of the kit seat sits way below bulkhead height and with the Tamiya figure in there it will need some adjusting.  

img%5D 

img%5D 

img%5D  

img%5D  

img%5D 

I dunked this in boiling water to form it.  I seem to  punish myself a lot back then : )  

img%5D 

I used to be good at this and was more productive, too.  What happened, heheh : )  

Edited by crackerjazz

Looking so good your always doing something amazing, if your considering it stay away from that after market CMK nose wheel bay kit its a doesn't fit in the least no matter how much you stim it down. I would like to get the circuit as well but I am running out of room with all the gadgets. Ill be following along.

Hi Dave, thanks, will keep that CMK info in mind.  Same here -- all these gadgets.   I sometimes tell myself it's better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them.   But the mancave is becoming a dump : )

img%5D

So... just learned they're called parachute containers and not headrests : )   But they do act as headrests don't they?   The parachute pack is actually in there for this ejection seat - wow.   And those shackles are harness risers.

img%5D 

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D