I tried it on mine yesterday and I think it might work. The sears alone are miles ahead of what you get in the kit. Also if you live in the Toronto area, Aviation World has it in stock and on Monday it should be 20% off.

Dave

1 hour ago, SERNAK said:

Vey tempting set but as you Dave for now I'll stick with my True Details resin set. It still looks good!

I agree, and since I have 2 True Detail cockpit sets they are what I will be using. Plus I love painting all that detail.

Dave

On 12/24/2021 at 3:53 PM, dustiepal said:

I tried it on mine yesterday and I think it might work. The sears alone are miles ahead of what you get in the kit. Also if you live in the Toronto area, Aviation World has it in stock and on Monday it should be 20% off.

Dave

Good to hear. I've still got my Testors SR-71 setting in the box with the True Details resin set and was hopping it would fit the Revell kit. The Testors one has to go.

On 12/24/2021 at 6:00 PM, Gwen Phoenix said:

Both to Dave and TT above:

You might want to check this cockpit out for the Revell 1/48 Sled first, before you consider getting the old True Details one?

Cheers,

Gwen

This is the way I would go If I decide to get the Revell SR-71. There is no way to paint as realistically as a printed detail set like this.  Thanks for sharing, I was not aware of this brand before. 

6 hours ago, Kurt H. said:

This is the way I would go If I decide to get the Revell SR-71. There is no way to paint as realistically as a printed detail set like this. 

Hi Kurt!

Same thought crossed my mind the minute I spotted that cockpit, as usually, my painted cockpits look like a 5-year-old toddler's collage (or even worse!).

22 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

So you think the Testors kit is still worth it now?

I would kill to see how much higher the upper fuselage half in the Revell kit is with respect to the old Testors/Italeri offering. Having seen the finished build of the former kit in a modelling forum, I think this is the specific aspect those who have the latter kit need to correct in order to make it look better. I was always of the impression that the height of the forward fuselage looks a bit squashed on the Testors/italeri kit and, by adding the necessary millimetres to it, you could even replicate the rounded-up glass pane at base of the windshield which is present on both the real aircraft and in the Revell kit.

But then of course is the shape of the nose and chines.

Anyone had both kits, that'd be quite an interesting comparison to make.

Cheers,

Gwen

8 hours ago, Gwen Phoenix said:

Hi Kurt!

Same thought crossed my mind the minute I spotted that cockpit, as usually, my painted cockpits look like a 5-year-old toddler's collage (or even worse!).

I would kill to see how much higher the upper fuselage half in the Revell kit is with respect to the old Testors/Italeri offering. Having seen the finished build of the former kit in a modelling forum, I think this is the specific aspect those who have the latter kit need to correct in order to make it look better. I was always of the impression that the height of the forward fuselage looks a bit squashed on the Testors/italeri kit and, by adding the necessary millimetres to it, you could even replicate the rounded-up glass pane at base of the windshield which is present on both the real aircraft and in the Revell kit.

But then of course is the shape of the nose and chines.

Anyone had both kits, that'd be quite an interesting comparison to make.

Cheers,

Gwen

There is a built example of the Revell kit in The Ready for Inspection forum at Britmodeler. I know the builder mentioned his Testor kits in his build thread, I’m not sure if he mentioned the comparison you are looking for.

25 minutes ago, habu2 said:

Is there a US dealer offering these kits?  I've looked but haven't found one....

Megahobby is taking preorders.

https://www.megahobby.com/products/revell-sr71-blackbird.html

I think eventually it will be available over here in all of the usual places, but these days it seems to take a couple of months for new Revell kits to make their way over to this side of the pond.

2 hours ago, habu2 said:

Is there a US dealer offering these kits?  I've looked but haven't found one....

Revell USA boxing due 1st quarter 2022. Probably cheaper. I’m hoping hobby lobby carries it and I can pick one up on sale. 

7BF0F0D9-1500-4A47-8D09-DA14E2D1E343.jpeg

Edited by Charlie D.
16 hours ago, habu2 said:

Caracal just reprinted their excellent 1/48 SR-71 sheet(s) 👍

I have both of those!  Replaced my old afterburner decal sheets that sold for a pretty penny, which replaced my cutting edge SR sheet. During that entire span of time not a single SR-71 was built either.....

The TD seats should fit in the Revell pit fine. As for the rest of the TD pit, maybe it can work but I don't necessarily plan to do that with my Revell kit as I will likely save my complete TD pit set for a Testors YF-12 kit that I have. The Revell instrument panels are very good and the side consoles look decent and the decals snuggle down on to them nice. If you go TD, you would have to paint the instruments. There are some small bits the TD pit missed as well so it isn't going to be a fix for everything even if you use it and honestly, I think it is just a matter of making more work for yourself when you don't necessarily have to.