How to Paint Metallic/Non-metallic Intersection

Hi All,

Happy Holidays!  

I am about to do some painting that I've never done before.  It's on an Eduard 1/48 P-51D.  I've never done any natural metal finish, much less NMF transitioning to a solid color, but that's what I'm going to try to do with my P-51.  The rear of the fuselage and entire tail is going to be solid yellow, and from that point forward will be NMF.  Does anyone have any good ideas on how to paint these areas, that is, what should be painted first, or how to do this paint job?  I'm planning to do a gloss black base for the NMF, and I'm thinking I'm going to use one of the AK Xtreme Metal Aluminum or Polished Aluminum, and Mr. Color lacquer yellow for the fuselage rear and tail.  

So, with that in mind, how would you approach the painting of these colors?  I'm open to other suggestions for paints, as I realize the AK Xtreme Metal is an enamel based paint, and if I go the way I've planned, it will be enamel next to lacquer.  I have no idea how this may work out, or if this a problem.  If you think these paints would be okay, how would you do the painting, and in what order?  Trying to paint the yellow lacquer over a gloss black base does not sound like a good idea, so I'm thinking that painting the gloss back up to the intersection paint, then perhaps a white primer (I use Stynylrez) under the yellow would work, maybe, but then I'd have to do a perfect job of masking both the gloss black and white primer in addition to the metal and yellow colors.  I would think there would be an easier way to address the primer/base colors, but, again, I've not done NMF at all, previously, and certainly no experience with NMF right next to a solid color.

ANY ideas on how to address this situation.  The transition between the NMF and yellow is made with a very thin black decal, that may or may not aid in the transition 'problem' I've described.  How would you do it?  Am I making a big deal out of nothing?  Or am I correct in being concerned about how to perform this NMF to color transition?  Thanks in advance for any thoughts you can send my way.

I'd paint the yellow first, mask it off and paint the black.

That way you would avoid masking over the NMF.

Also, if you will use just aluminum, (and not polished aluminum) you don't need gloss black. That's mainly for high shine metals...polished aluminum, chrome and the like.

Bob

Edited by Bob Beary

I would reverse mask. Spray the yellow first. That way, you aren't trying to build up layers of yellow. Mask the yellow off and then spray the Metallics. Word of caution, though. AK extreme metallics do not like to be taped over. The masking tape will leave residue like no one's business. You will need to seal it with a protective coat first if you want to avoid problems. I find that Tamiya x-22 does a good job. Also, mrp. semi matte is pretty effective. I used AK metallics on my Tamiya F-4B exaust section. Sprayed with mrp. semi matte and I haven't had any problems so far.

Edited by caudleryan

Thanks, guys.  Now, I have another P-51 paint question..

I know I've already stated what I plan to use to paint the natural metal finish areas of the airplane with in terms of paint brand and color, but I'm thinking that I'd like some opinions about this as well.  The Eduard instructions do a great job of identifying the what parts of the fuselage and wings, on the real aircraft, were painted aluminum, and what areas were natural metal finish, and Eduard also provides their suggested paints and colors to use.  I've seen several videos showing what paints some folks have decided to use for these areas, but wondering what some of you guys here think about the best paints and colors to use.

I'm thinking that maybe the painted aluminum areas would be nice to be represented by the Tamiya Lacquer LP-11, and to still do the overall NMF areas in the Xtreme Metal Polished Aluminum over a gloss black base, and then pick out some individual panels with a few different colors, also in the AK Xtreme Metal range.  I'm really open to any other ideas, though, since, again, this will be my first NMF airplane. 

On 12/26/2021 at 7:54 PM, caudleryan said:

I would reverse mask. Spray the yellow first. That way, you aren't trying to build up layers of yellow. Mask the yellow off and then spray the Metallics. Word of caution, though. AK extreme metallics do not like to be taped over. The masking tape will leave residue like no one's business. You will need to seal it with a protective coat first if you want to avoid problems. I find that Tamiya x-22 does a good job. Also, mrp. semi matte is pretty effective. I used AK metallics on my Tamiya F-4B exaust section. Sprayed with mrp. semi matte and I haven't had any problems so far.

Thanks for the heads up.  I have read and seen demos of using AK Gauzy Intermediate over the Xtreme metals, which it was supposedly made for.  I have the Gauzy and will try that. 

Edited by Curt B
On 1/3/2022 at 4:52 PM, Chuck1945 said:

.I concur with the other suggestions, do the yellow first. Once cured it can safely be masked. FWIW, I think polished aluminum will be too, well, polished, to represent a wartime aircraft.

Agreed on the Polished Aluminum.  I'll probably use one of the other metal colors.