So back in 1989 there was a cottage industry outfit in the Colorado Springs area called Benchworks.  The gentleman that ran it was called "Suds".   I don't recall his real name but one of the items he made was a resin/vac set of intake ramps for the 1/48 Hasegawa F-4 Phantom.   He also did short and long afterburners for the Phantom.   I would love to be able to find a couple more sets of the Benchworks burner cans (long and short) if anyone has some rolling around in their parts bin.

Kirrey does intake ramps for the Academy Phantoms and exhausts for Hasegawa Phantoms, RESKIT does some pretty nice Phantom exhausts, Long and Short, and there is Aires and Eduard options for exhausts. None of them are cheap unfortunately.

I remember when Benchworks released that set! I’ve long ago retired the F-4 kit I used them on. They predated even Seamless Suckers, IIRC. If you can find some, High Flight and later Cobra Company had some simple resin short and long afterburner nozzles that were about the same decent level of detail and not too expensive. Sadly, every other aftermarket nozzle set is gonna cost some change.

Ben

7 hours ago, bashace said:

Kirrey does intake ramps for the Academy Phantoms and exhausts for Hasegawa Phantoms, RESKIT does some pretty nice Phantom exhausts, Long and Short, and there is Aires and Eduard options for exhausts. None of them are cheap unfortunately.

Why don't you actually be responsive to the OP's question?  He didn't ask about Kirrey, or RESKIT or Aires or Eduard.  He must have a specific reason for asking about Benchworks.

Benchworks was run by Kevin "Suds" Suddharth from Colorado Springs.  He passed away in 2015.  I used to have some of his stuff.  He did do some intakes and exhausts for Hasegawa 1/48 Phantoms.  He also did nifty little inserts for the engine accessory doors that are open on the belly so that it looked like there were actual engines in there...the only other people to do that were Aires.  Unfortunately I don't have any Benchmade stuff around anymore.  You can still find it occasionally...at least here in Colorado.  Good luck.

Cameron

3 hours ago, Cameron Lynch said:

Why don't you actually be responsive to the OP's question?  He didn't ask about Kirrey, or RESKIT or Aires or Eduard.  He must have a specific reason for asking about Benchworks.

Benchworks was run by Kevin "Suds" Suddharth from Colorado Springs.  He passed away in 2015.  I used to have some of his stuff.  He did do some intakes and exhausts for Hasegawa 1/48 Phantoms.  He also did nifty little inserts for the engine accessory doors that are open on the belly so that it looked like there were actual engines in there...the only other people to do that were Aires.  Unfortunately I don't have any Benchmade stuff around anymore.  You can still find it occasionally...at least here in Colorado.  Good luck.

Cameron

Thanks Cameron.    I have a couple of the intake sets and a couple of the burner cans and I believe one of the belly inserts.   I didn't know Kevin personally but he was definitely well known in the Front Range area.

While I know that there are lots of other aftermarket intake and burner sets out there I've always liked Suds' burner cans.   I thought they really captured the look of the real thing which is why I'd like to find a few more sets.

Don

Edited by Drifterdon
11 hours ago, bashace said:

Benchworks also did some 1/48 resin P&W R-2800 engines...which at the time were among the more accurate available and included different ignition/magneto/prop governor arrangements depending upon the version of the engine.

Cameron

16 hours ago, Cameron Lynch said:

Cameron

Didn't mean to trigger any negative snipes here, as an avid collector of AM resin, I know how difficult and or expensive procuring long OOP resin items can be, was only sharing information on currently available suitable items. I understand there seems to be a personal connection with the manufacturer here, but the fact is, he is no longer making these items, and there are better offerings out there for most of it.

Drifterdon, if I come accross any of those parts I'll let you know, I have a huge Phantom collection and always picking AM stuff up for them, haven't seen the Benchwork offerings in a long time.

Hey Don,

I may be able to hook you up with some of the Benchworks stuff.  I know I have some seconds and stuff for personal use.  I spent many hours helping/learning how to cast that stuff with Sudds.  He was definitely a character!  I can remember casting exhaust cans the night before a show or contest.  He always marveled about how many people wanted his resin.

Send me a pm.

Kirk