1/48 - Republic P-47D/M Thunderbolt by MiniArt - P-47D-25RE box art+3D renders - release in 2022

Could this kit possibly be better than the older, but still spectacular, Tamiya Thunderbolts?  I have a hard time believing it until/unless someone will actually demonstrate this…

7 hours ago, Curt B said:

Could this kit possibly be better than the older, but still spectacular, Tamiya Thunderbolts?  I have a hard time believing it until/unless someone will actually demonstrate this…

well for starters that engine looks like a kit in itself! Wing details look like the Tamiya kit with after market (yes I have two or three). Now did they get it right; I just don't know.

A razor back would have been a license to print money!! 

gary

On 12/29/2021 at 2:24 PM, ChesshireCat said:

well for starters that engine looks like a kit in itself! Wing details look like the Tamiya kit with after market (yes I have two or three). Now did they get it right; I just don't know.

A razor back would have been a license to print money!! 

gary

I'll give you that.  And, I have one of the Tamiya P-47Ms under construction, plus another still in box, plus, a razorback still untouched that I need for a 'Hun Hunter XIV' build I am planning to do.  I'll wait to see if the engineering and fit of this new Miniart kit is even close to the old Tamiya, and whether 2021-era molding technology will have superseded the still impressive Tamiya kit...   The photos of the built bare plastic kit looks like it could maybe have nicer surface details, but we'll see...  If those aspects are better, I'll get one of these.  And maybe a razorback is in the works!?

Edited by Curt B
21 hours ago, Curt B said:

I'll give you that.  And, I have one of the Tamiya P-47Ms under construction, plus another still in box, plus, a razorback still untouched that I need for a 'Hun Hunter XIV' build I am planning to do.  I'll wait to see if the engineering and fit of this new Miniart kit is even close to the old Tamiya, and whether 2021-era molding technology will have superseded the still impressive Tamiya kit...   The photos of the built bare plastic kit looks like it could maybe have nicer surface details, but we'll see...  If those aspects are better, I'll get one of these.  And maybe a razorback is in the works!?

I think they should have started with a P47c. I never knew how many were in service till I got a book. (5th or 15th airforce) If this kit is anywhere close to their armor kits, it will be a much sought after item. There's nothing wrong with the Tamiya kit in my eyes, but I'm also more than willing to give a new player the chance. I honestly figured ICM was the one to do the P47.

gary

I have enough Hasegawa and Tamiya Jugs that I'd maybe be in for one of these for the engine and wing details - however there are a number of P-47C's I'd love to do (Robert Johnson's "Half Pint" is a high desire). I do hope they are planning on a C razorback!

On 1/2/2022 at 1:35 PM, Tracy White said:

I have enough Hasegawa and Tamiya Jugs that I'd maybe be in for one of these for the engine and wing details - however there are a number of P-47C's I'd love to do (Robert Johnson's "Half Pint" is a high desire). I do hope they are planning on a C razorback!

I'm with you

gary

On 1/2/2022 at 7:35 PM, Tracy White said:

Dora Wings is working on a new tool P-47C (and P-47B too) kit

https://www.facebook.com/dorawingsofficial/posts/3169968663233689

https://www.facebook.com/dorawingsofficial/posts/3084255388471684

First 3D renders

258723038-3169967573233798-3360045405438

259005546-3169967569900465-2343781570820

V.P.

• 2 months later...

The Tamiyas all have inaccurate too tall clear parts (not fixable easily in my view), and a swollen fuselage in plan view, when the sides should be straight... See yoyuso wings of Pegasus for the fix... I always found them to be poor in accuracy. New P-47s are much needed.

I don't believe we will see any Miniart or Dora Wings releases for a while. The employees are hunkered down back in Kyiv or Dnipro. 

Slava Ukraini!

Edited by Mr Matt Foley
54 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

I don't believe we will see any Miniart or Dora Wings releases for a while. The employees are hunkered down back in Kyiv or Dnipro. 

Slava Ukraini!

Obviously, model kits become irrelevant when lives and liberty are challenged!  We can only hope the conflict is resolved soon, with a positive ending for Ukraine!

That said, it sure seems like the model industry 'piles on' of late, with multiple manufacturers coming up with the same new aircraft kits at the same time (differing variants, in some cases, though).  Still, it's an embarrassment of riches for those of us who are into this hobby...lucky us!!  I wish I had the money to get all the new interesting kits, both aircraft and armor,  and the space to display them all when they're complete!

I don't see any indication from the Miniart catalog linked above or the CAD shots that their kits will build a P-47M out of the box. Propellers? Tail fairings? Engine?

On 3/21/2022 at 4:32 PM, seawinder said:

I don't see any indication from the Miniart catalog linked above or the CAD shots that their kits will build a P-47M out of the box. Propellers? Tail fairings? Engine?

I believe they've only announced a P-47D right?

On 3/21/2022 at 3:25 PM, Curt B said:

Obviously, model kits become irrelevant when lives and liberty are challenged!  We can only hope the conflict is resolved soon, with a positive ending for Ukraine!

That said, it sure seems like the model industry 'piles on' of late, with multiple manufacturers coming up with the same new aircraft kits at the same time (differing variants, in some cases, though).  Still, it's an embarrassment of riches for those of us who are into this hobby...lucky us!!  I wish I had the money to get all the new interesting kits, both aircraft and armor,  and the space to display them all when they're complete!

I hear you Curt. ICM, Reskit, Metallic Details, many smaller operations too, are hunkered down or helping in the war effort individually. We still do not know the impact of sanctions on Russia and the loss of most favored trade status. That will no doubt lead to delays in shipping (like we haven't had enough because of COVID) as well as potential tariff action. I would think if you see something you want for projects, buy now as we might not see them for a while. 

Pray for Ukraine. Slava Ukraini!

6 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

I believe they've only announced a P-47D right?

That's all I've seen. It's just that the title of this thread mentions "P-47D/M."

well I kinda figure that it will take the better part of a year just to get things rolling again over there, and would not be surprised if it too twenty months. I also build armor, but has really resisted modern stuff for far too long. Now they have a huge pile of hulks to work off of and it would be obvious to see them go to work in that direction. The stupid war has also hurt the Russian side of the fence as well, as we were seeing a resurgence of quality quits coming from Zvezda and after market from some serious folks over there.

As for that P47c, I'll just wait and wait till they start molding again. I'd say I'll have to have three just to get me moving.

gary

On 3/21/2022 at 3:09 PM, Robertson said:

The Tamiyas all have inaccurate too tall clear parts (not fixable easily in my view), and a swollen fuselage in plan view, when the sides should be straight... See yoyuso wings of Pegasus for the fix...

Hi Robertson,

Have you got a link for yoyuso's fix, please?

Cheers,

Gwen

http://soyuyo.main.jp/p47/p47-1a.html

Here it is. Note that his fix involves widening the front of the cowling to make the sides straighter, as well as narrowing the swell of the fuselage, but for the Tamiya cowl part this is wrong. At the first panel line, the width of the Tamya cowling is correct from actual dimensions (which I forget), so it is the rear of the cowling which should be narrowed, not the front widened... This implies a more massive narrowing of the entire fuselage, which might be why Yoyuso avoided doing it this way...

When I attempted it I, preferred  using an Otaki fuselage (which has correctly straight sides) with an adapted Tamiya cowl front (the Otaki cowl is too rounded in front). The Otaki has a nicer looking Razorback canopy shape as well, at least in the general windscreen profile, if not quite in cross section. Otaki wings were very poor, and the much better Tamya wings did adapt with only moderate effort. I got carried away, and tried my own home made two seat conversion, which would hide the Otaki canopy cross section issue, not taking into account that the putty in the new shape of the spine needed to be severely sealed and polished to a hard shiny finish, to guard against reacting with the penetrative effect of Tamiya spray can lacquer paints... As it was, the lacquer sank into the putty, shrank its edges, raising them, and made large bubbles all over the spine... 

Given how massively ubiquitous lacquer spray cans are, in hobby shops around the world (true in both Noth America and Eastern Europe), I must not be the only one using them... Yet you never see any articles on their use or peculiarities from a modelling perspective, which are very different from normal airbrush use; chief among which is the difficulty of creating large puttied surfaces under them. I eventually learned to deeply polish putty with a cloth, then apply a thin pebbly "dry" coat over that, far from the can, to seal it... The pebbles, fully dried, melt in subsequent coats, acting as a barrier. Advice I could have used back then, if any existed...

Thank you so very much for the link, sir. This soyuyo guy reminds me of Masamasamasa's modelling skills. Asian people ought to be the best modellers in the world.

On 3/27/2022 at 1:56 PM, Robertson said:

The Otaki has a nicer looking Razorback canopy shape as well, at least in the general windscreen profile, if not quite in cross section.

I did have an Otaki Razorback kit, but I gave it away when I bought the Tamiya one. I do have the Falcon vac-form set for the American WWII fighters, tho. I'm quite sure there's a P-47D Razorback piece in it. Do you happen to recall what P-47 kit this piece might have been formed onto? Must have been the very early '90s.

On 3/27/2022 at 1:56 PM, Robertson said:

Given how massively ubiquitous lacquer spray cans are, in hobby shops around the world (true in both Noth America and Eastern Europe), I must not be the only one using them... Yet you never see any articles on their use or peculiarities from a modelling perspective, which are very different from normal airbrush use; chief among which is the difficulty of creating large puttied surfaces under them. I eventually learned to deeply polish putty with a cloth, then apply a thin pebbly "dry" coat over that, far from the can, to seal it... The pebbles, fully dried, melt in subsequent coats, acting as a barrier. Advice I could have used back then, if any existed...

I for the life of me have never understood what the use is for any paint which comes in a spray can, other than the lack of a compressor. The only thing I learnt about spray cans dates back from the time when I used to vandalise building fronts with them when I was a teenager (peer pressure). Gang would say spray cans worked better if sunk in warm water previous to use them, but I do remember how the propellant in them used to wear out much before the paint did.

Cheers,

Gwen

Man, you fellas are going through a lot of work to make an already excellent 1/48 P-47 series better to your own eyes. I would never have the patience to rip kits up to modify....especially a Tamiya.