F4D-1 Skyray / Tamiya (1/48)

Hello All –

Here is my recently completed Tamiya F4D-1 Skyray. Built using Eduard PE, Eduard Sidewinders, after market decals, and AK Real Color paint.

Built by the Douglas Aircraft Company in 1956, the F4D-1 Skyray (aka, "Ford" by their aircrews) was the US Navy's first high performance jet fighter. A fast and highly capable aircraft, it proved a challenge to fly and consequently only served in the Fleet for 8 years when it was phased out in favor of Phantoms and Crusaders.  This model depicts an aircraft from VF-162, "The Hunters" while deployed onboard USS INTREPID (CV-11) on their 1961/62 deployment.  The Intrepid museum recently acquired one of VA-162's Skyrays that made that deployment and is now on permanent display there.

Earlier this year, I had the pleasure to talk to retired A-4 pilot at an air show.  When he was first starting out in the Navy, they were still flying the Ford.  I asked him if he knew how well it handled and he said that he had many friends who flew it and their opinion was - even though it flew poorly, you looked cool doing it.  I think I can agree…it is a cool jet.

Happy Modeling,

John

Skyray_01.JPG

Skyray_02.JPG

Skyray_03.JPG

Skyray_04.JPG

Skyray_05.JPG

Skyray_06.JPG

Skyray_07.JPG

Skyray_08.JPG

Skyray_09.JPG

Skyray_10.JPG

Skyray_11.JPG

Skyray_12.JPG

Skyray_13.JPG

Skyray_14.JPG

I agree. The Skyray is one of the coolest looking aircraft.  I built the 1/72 Tamiya kit and it was one of the finest kits I've ever built.  I was astounded by how well engineered the kit was and how seamlessly everything fit.

Your 1/48 version looks awesome :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...