I've seen the future... and it's VR.   Just got my Quest 2 figured out and working with Microsoft Flight Simulator.  I've never seen anything like it.   It's simply amazing and for the first time in nearly two decades of flight sim'ing, I feel like I'm in a plane, flying.   My first "flight" was in the Carbon Crafters Xcub, basically an ultramodern, souped-up Piper Cub.   The cockpit in my headset looked exactly like this:

See the source image

There isn't anything I can do to fully describe what it's like to move your head and look around a virtual cockpit that looks identical to the real thing. If you lean to one side, you can look straight down at the main landing gear.  If you duck and lean forward, you can see around the wing in a steep turn.   Mindblowing stuff guys.   The external graphics are "good enough".   I still need to tweak the settings and can probably improve them, as I've got a somewhat powerful PC.   Even if not, I'll take these in a virtual 6-D world versus high-def graphics on a flat monitor.    The sense of immersion can't be described.  Just for S&G's, I deliberately stalled the plane at 2,000' and then kicked in full right rudder.   The stall / departure scared the crap out of me and I literally tried to hang onto my chair.   

The truly wonderful thing is that we are only in the infancy of this technology.   Already the price point on quality VR rigs is dropping (my Quest 2 was in the $350 range), while the ability to present high quality visuals is increasing.   My prediction is that within a few years, VR headsets considerably slimmed down and will be standard on all PC's (in many cases replacing monitors) and those clunky handheld controllers will give way to VR gloves that allow you to reach out and manipulate the controls of your aircraft (or tank or race car, etc).   It's only going to get better and more affordable.   

For those that have a decent PC and some disposable income, I highly recommend taking the plunge. 

Anyway, sorry for the rant but I just wanted to share.    We can all go back to modeling talk now!

9 hours ago, southwestforests said:

Eh, virtual reality is merely a smoke and mirrors parlor trick if you can't smell the avgas.

😉

Coming later this year is an offering of a virtual scent pack for the UH-1H Huey.   An ultra-realistic mix of jet fuel, hydraulic fluid, misfired Skoal (your choice of flavors) and other pleasing scents.   $150 plus S&H from 11Bee Enterprises. 

Edited by 11bee
53 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Coming later this year is an offering a virtual scent pack for the UH-1H Huey.   A pleasing and ultra-realistic mix of jet fuel, hydraulic fluid, misfired Skoal (your choice of flavors) and other pleasing scents.   $150 plus S&H from 11Bee Enterprises. 

Do you have to buy the "Fortunate Sun" or "Paint It Black" soundtracks separately or do they come preloaded?

Edited by echolmberg
6 hours ago, ST0RM said:

I'm on my 3rd VR headset and would never go back to flat screen 2D. 

Out of curiosity, which one are you using and how do you like it?  

My preliminary thoughts are that I’m going to heavily use VR for VFR flying in MSFS, as well as flying lower tech DCS aircraft.    For aircraft that require a great deal of button pushing, I’m thinking I’ll still be using my monitor.  

16 hours ago, 11bee said:

Out of curiosity, which one are you using and how do you like it?  

My preliminary thoughts are that I’m going to heavily use VR for VFR flying in MSFS, as well as flying lower tech DCS aircraft.    For aircraft that require a great deal of button pushing, I’m thinking I’ll still be using my monitor.  

Currently, the HP Reverb G1. I havent seen the need to move up to the G2 yet. 
I started with a Oculus Rift CV1, moved up to the Samsung Odyssey Plus and now to the G1. 

I keep my TrackIR for tubeliner flying as it has the button pushing you mentioned. And at altitude, who cares.