CD48223 - 1/48 F-111D Aardvark

The F-111A and EF-111 sheets will be selling out sometime this year, so I am planning an F-111D/F sheet to complete the line-up. What should go on this sheet? Any suggestions for interesting F-111F and F-111D nose art, commanders' aircraft etc?

Edited by KursadA

Darkvarks are definately needed - 27TFW. 
20TFW 77TFS also had atleast 1 example of E's in the dark scheme (68-0050) before these shipped out for the stateside units when Upper Heyford closed. 

Existing 48TFW is looong OOP and needs a new revision, hopefully not only Wing Co/Squadron CO birds as they are representation birds and a bit dull in my opinion 🙂

See, now you suddenly have enough for 2 new F-111 sheets 🤠

Op El Dorado obviously high on the list, I missed earlier, now unobtanium, baby seal sheets. 

I worked with a few OED crewmembers, still have a zap sticker they gave me:

Lakenheath Is Bombing Your Azz*    (LIBYA)

Edited by habu2

Kursad, You know my preference:

F-111F 70-2366 of the 389th TFS, 366th TFW Wing Commander's jet in Bicentennial markings circa March 1976.  It also celebrated the 30th Anniversary of TAC. Except for the R/W/B banners, you pretty much already have this one done.

1213099848_F-111F_70-0366_366th_TFW_LangleyAFB_Jul76.thumb.JPG.28f588c3a89accf57ae524735b556aaa.JPG

F-111F 70-2366, 389th TFS, 366th TFW celebrating the 30th Anniversary of TAC at Langley AFB, VA in March, 1976.

540470118_F-111F_70-0366_366th_TFW_LangleyAFB_Jul76b.thumb.JPG.f2f4c00361ae3087c66d4766585893fe.JPG

The starboard side.

Note that the r/w/b banner on the ventral strakes only went about 6-9 inches from the front edge.  Later that spring / summer, they added it full length down the strake in time for the bicentennial.

Microscale/Superscale did a similar scheme for F-111F 70-2376 on 48-250, but boogered it up by making their stars too large and only including 12 and not thirteen stars on the tail, strakes and the intakes.

F-111F_70-2376_MO_1976.thumb.JPG.9febbac603f3314bbd302909056a897d.JPG

Note curve to intake bunting and thirteen stars on tail and ventral strakes.

F-111F_70-2376_MO.thumb.JPG.c628599d0e89366b5c7ec951438cfe4f.JPG

Edited by Dutch
corrected photo date. Add photo.
4 hours ago, Niels said:

20TFW 77TFS also had atleast 1 example of E's in the dark scheme (68-0050) before these shipped out for the stateside units when Upper Heyford closed. 

Existing 48TFW is looong OOP and needs a new revision, hopefully not only Wing Co/Squadron CO birds as they are representation birds and a bit dull in my opinion 🙂

I worked with Sam Westbrook who was the CO of the 48th during the Libya raid.  He was not flying in a vark during the raid but was in one of the tankers that flew with them.  I  have the old Superscale sheet with his markings in 1/72 but would be interested in a 1/48 sheet.  

38 minutes ago, Bob Rock said:

Is there any chance of RAAF F-111C/F-111G 1/48 decals in the future?

I don't think I will be planning any RAAF subjects before the shipping issue is resolved - I still have three dozen orders waiting to be shipped to Australia since they stopped accepting packages from the US in October.

Edited by KursadA
15 hours ago, Niels said:

"Darkvark" was the name given to the FB-111A.

Gunship grey is much ignored in decal sheets.

Edited by ElectroSoldier
22 hours ago, Niels said:

News to me - the gunship gray F-111's have from what I've seen always been refered to as Darkvarks? Doesn't matter, point is that we need decals for dark grey F-111's 🙂

FB-111A in the SAC strategic scheme. Because it was quite dark.

The last F-111F at Lakenheath would be a nice model to make too.

On 1/6/2022 at 11:11 AM, KursadA said:

I don't think I will be planning any RAAF subjects before the shipping issue is resolved - I still have three dozen orders waiting to be shipped to Australia since they stopped accepting packages from the US in October.

Fair enough, just read that American Airlines has resumed their service to Sydney yesterday, hopefully Aimail will follow suit shortly.

Cheers.

A 'CC' coded F-111D from the 27th TFW in FS 36118 would be a must have for me. I don't know if any of these wore flagship markings either for the Wing or each squadron with a white outlined 'CC' though. A quick Google search found F-111F 70-2404 in FS 36118 operated by the 523rd FS in such markings so that could be worth considering maybe?

The option of a 366th TFW F-111F out of Mountain Home AFB would also be most welcome, whether a line bird or a flagship.

Michael 

7 hours ago, Ghostbase said:

A 'CC' coded F-111D from the 27th TFW in FS 36118 would be a must have for me. I don't know if any of these wore flagship markings either for the Wing or each squadron with a white outlined 'CC' though. A quick Google search found F-111F 70-2404 in FS 36118 operated by the 523rd FS in such markings so that could be worth considering maybe?

The option of a 366th TFW F-111F out of Mountain Home AFB would also be most welcome, whether a line bird or a flagship.

Michael 

All of the CosmiC Aardvarks commanders mounts all had dropped shadows to the CC along with the squadron number for the D and later the F

7 hours ago, Stefan buysse said:

Hi,

All I really want in F-111F decals is at least one option for a Lakenheath F-111 from the black tailcodes era in 1/72.

I don't care if it is a Commander's aircraft or a line bird.

Cheers, Stefan.

Before or after the North Africa Campaign ribbon was added?

2 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Before or after the North Africa Campaign ribbon was added?

Hi,

For myself, I don't really need it. I can imagine that Kursad would want to include it.

But all I really want is nice modern decals for my single Hasegawa kit that allow me to build a Lakenheath F-111.

Cheers, Stefan.

• 1 year later...

Folks, there are too many D and F's I would like to do, and I think two separate sheets (one for -D and one for -F) are needed here. I am a bit concerned about having too many F-111 sheets (I have done the -A, -E, EF-111A, and two different FB-111A sheets so far!) ; but you seem to have liked what I have done so far and I hope you will buy these, too.

The -D sheet will be coming first, with the -F coming soon afterwards. 

• KursadA changed the title to CD48223 - 1/48 F-111D Aardvark