New Tool A-10 1:48 from Academy

Unexpected, but very cool. The A-10 has kind of fallen into a weird spot in modeling to where there are surges of kits that were done, but none of them have quite hit the mark with the possible exception of the Monogram designed A-10 which is still a four decade old kit. I would welcome a new tool A-10 which can be built out of the box and doesn't require major aftermarket bits to correct basic shortcomings in the kit. 

18 minutes ago, Solo said:

How do we know that?

I’m not an A-10 expert but that disc-shaped antenna on the fuselage aft of the canopy is the most obvious clue. I think some of the radar warning receiver bulges on the tail are also part of the C update.

I guess I’ll pause my battle with the Monogram kit until we see how this one will look.

Ben

3 minutes ago, stalal said:

SBD Dauntless! I have been wanting to make one but after Accurate Miniatures in early 2000s, no one ever offered this famous aircraft in kit. 

Academy has re-released the Accurate Miniatures kits several times over the last few years, and this is likely to be another with new decals. 

The new A-10 is intriguing...the new tool Zero and Wildcat from them, when Eduard is doing exactly the same, is a bit puzzling.

12 hours ago, skyhawk524 said:

Academy has re-released the Accurate Miniatures kits several times over the last few years, and this is likely to be another with new decals. 

The new A-10 is intriguing...the new tool Zero and Wildcat from them, when Eduard is doing exactly the same, is a bit puzzling.

It probably is the Accurate kit. Notice it says "New Design", which implies the tooling is already done. It is just something new to Academy's catalog. Same thing goes for the PBJ Mitchell, which is probably the Accurate Minis early B-25 Mitchell tooling. The other things in the catalog say "New Tooling".

Edited by Jay Chladek
26 minutes ago, skyhawk524 said:

Pretty sure the SBD-3 is confirmed as the AM kit.

As to the F4F and Zero, consider it's the 80th anniversary of the Battle of Midway this year. Bad luck for Academy that Eduard had the same idea, but I think we'll be seeing a lot of Midway-related releases over the next 6 months.

A new A-10C would be interesting.  I have a Monogram and Tamiya kit in the stash, but of course those are both A models (no pun intended).

I have an old AM SBD in the stash as well, along with a Hasegawa SBD, and even two of the old Monogram SBDs (I loved that kit as a kid).  One of these days, I'll have to start building them.

On a side note, I got to go to an event on the USS Midway for the 75th anniversary of The Battle of Midway, which was a very cool experience.  They even had a live feed from the island.

2 hours ago, Solo said:

How do we know that?

The cylindrical AN/AAR-47 missile warning sensors on the front of the wingtips, and you can see the aft facing one on the tail cone.  The tall T shaped antenna on the spine just aft of the GPS saucer was also on Cs, but I believe was fitted to A+ models also, so I’m not sure that’s definitive.

I'll go for the A10c kit in a big way.  The old A.M. Dauntless is one of those kits that has stood well against the test of time. (has anybody done a better Dauntless?). The Wildcat caught my eyes right away!  I hope they got the intercoolers right! Suspect the B25 to be another release of the A.M. tooling, and that's a pretty good kit. 

gary

I'm happy to see the Midway subject and especially the SBD-3 coming out again.  To bad I'm currently working on the Hasegawa A6M2, might have saved me the trouble of trying to put decals together.  Noticed they put fuel tanks on the F4F-4 when they didn't use them in that battle.

4 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

The cylindrical AN/AAR-47 missile warning sensors on the front of the wingtips, and you can see the aft facing one on the tail cone.  The tall T shaped antenna on the spine just aft of the GPS saucer was also on Cs, but I believe was fitted to A+ models also, so I’m not sure that’s definitive.

The "batwing" antenna is a pretty good indicator though. 

18 hours ago, skyhawk524 said:

Thanks for the info. 

There is no better Zero than Tamiya's. Be it 1/48 or 1/32, Tamiya Zero is the benchmark of kit quality and design. Lets see how Academy can better it. 

19 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

The missile warning sensors, on the wingtips and on the rear tail cone, are part of the C Upgrade. The "T shaped" antenna ( SATCOM ) was fitted to A-10A+'s and C's, we had them on our A-10A+'s.

Also, part of the C Upgrade was on Stations 2 and 10, the access door, for the electrical hookup cables of the LITENING or SNIPER pod, was made larger. Also Stations 4, 5, 7, and 8 had a larger more rectangular shaped opening, on the bottom of the pylon behind the aft sway braces, to accommodate the larger cable for GPS bombs.

Steve

1 hour ago, Geoff M said:

I hope I am not derailing this thread but was there ever an A-10B.  If not, why did they skip B and go to A-10C?  Just wondering.

Geoff M

There was a two-seater B prototype, it was never produced. it's usually referred to as the A-10 N/AW, but it was officially designated as the YA-10B.

14 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Lets hope its an A-10A with the A-10C upgrades as the alternatives are getting more and more unattractive as time goes by

I’m hoping for an A-10C. Sure, a better A-10A would be welcome, but there’s no A-10C in the market at all (barring the extensive Phase Hanger modifications).