New Tool A-10 1:48 from Academy

2 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

And a different IP.

So is it basically an A-10A...

Its almost as if the USAF took an A-10A and.... well I guess you could call it "modified it" to an A-10C.

So basically when you get right down to it its an A-10A with some extra lumps and bumps. I mean especially in modelling terms. Right?

1 hour ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Thats all an A-10C is over an A-10A though. A few lumps and bumps

You could say that about almost A/B/C variant that doesn’t add an extra seat. 

In modeling terms:

1) Different instrument panel and shroud. There is no way to make this a -C from and -A without new pieces (provided alternatives in kit, aftermarket, or scratch built). The new shroud is more bulbous and square to accommodate the MFS’s (there was only one small tv display in the -A vs vs two large in the -C). There are also a few extra lumps in the cockpit for the HMD sensors, but these are fairly small. 

2) “New” wingtips to accommodate the MWS and wing tip chaff/flare dispensers. Depending on the molding, this could foreseeably have options for -A or -C with additional add on bits

3) New lump/bumps. Sure these could be added to make a -C from and -A. But these could also be sanded off to make an -A from a -C. And similar to point 1), the parts have to come from somewhere…and I’d prefer it to be the kit

4) New pylons. These are relatively minor changes, but a few of the pylons are different in minor ways for smart weapons. 
5) Assuming the kit comes with ordnance, there’s a world of difference from the -A to a modern -C. 

Whether you like them or not (and the HB isn’t bad), there are already -A’s on the market. I’d love to have the option to build an accurate -C OOB rather than having to buy a lot of aftermarket. 

Edited by ESzczesniak
5 hours ago, ESzczesniak said:

You could say that about almost A/B/C variant that doesn’t add an extra seat. 

In modeling terms:

1) Different instrument panel and shroud. There is no way to make this a -C from and -A without new pieces (provided alternatives in kit, aftermarket, or scratch built). The new shroud is more bulbous and square to accommodate the MFS’s (there was only one small tv display in the -A vs vs two large in the -C). There are also a few extra lumps in the cockpit for the HMD sensors, but these are fairly small. 

2) “New” wingtips to accommodate the MWS and wing tip chaff/flare dispensers. Depending on the molding, this could foreseeably have options for -A or -C with additional add on bits

3) New lump/bumps. Sure these could be added to make a -C from and -A. But these could also be sanded off to make an -A from a -C. And similar to point 1), the parts have to come from somewhere…and I’d prefer it to be the kit

4) New pylons. These are relatively minor changes, but a few of the pylons are different in minor ways for smart weapons. 
5) Assuming the kit comes with ordnance, there’s a world of difference from the -A to a modern -C. 

Whether you like them or not (and the HB isn’t bad), there are already -A’s on the market. I’d love to have the option to build an accurate -C OOB rather than having to buy a lot of aftermarket. 

New IP, wing tips, aerial etc, pylons and by far the biggest change according to you bombs.

That not a lot really is it...

I mean when you look at a F-111A and F-111C the latter requires completely different wings but they were made from a common kit, and the the D/F versions have different intakes too but they were also made from the same basic kit.
The EF-111A needed a completely different lower fuselage, tail and bomb bay parts.
A-6E or an EA-6B ...

Why are you guys trying to make out that the A-10C is a very very different animal and its best that they make a pure A-10C that can only ever be an A-10C?

16 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

…Why are you guys trying to make out that the A-10C is a very very different animal and its best that they make a pure A-10C that can only ever be an A-10C?

I don’t think anyone ever said it can only ever and an A-10C. But I think there are a lot of people that would like to be able to build an A-10C OOB. 

If they want to out parts for an -A in the box as well, sounds fine to me. 

Edited by ESzczesniak
3 hours ago, ESzczesniak said:

I don’t think anyone ever said it can only ever and an A-10C. But I think there are a lot of people that would like to be able to build an A-10C OOB. 

If they want to out parts for an -A in the box as well, sounds fine to me. 

I would like to see both myself.

• 5 months later...

Is anyone else a little disappointed that Academy didn't bring out a 1/48 F-4E? Not non-AMS modelers the price and features would be just right. It makes so much sense because you can literally cover all the slatted F-4E variants with one small sprue different between them.

ZM likely wont bring a slatted E to market for another year or so at the current rate (and the F-4S sold out a long time ago, I expect their slatted F-4s to dry up quick). Hasegawa works for my purposes but unobtanium right now, and each kit is automatically $20 more expensive because Hase's exhaust nozzles are horribly outdated even for my non-AMS self.

Edited by TheGloriousTachikoma
On 6/20/2022 at 6:32 PM, habu2 said:

... the box art, proportions and shapes look off in that depiction. 

Even with some perspective correction, the art looks a bit wonky.

Academy 48 Hog BoxArt.jpg

The sooner the kit gets to me, the better ... so I can backdate it to this outstanding art:

774708777_FlyingTigerA-10.jpg.fa71b94aba1653da62905a1c24a82e9d.jpg

:thumbsup:

Gene K

Edited by GeneK

@Gene K If I end up getting one, I'll be backdating it, too. 

@TheGloriousTachikoma RE. the F-4E, yes, Academy missed their chance by not releasing the long nose F-4s 10 years ago. Probably too late now that Z-M is in the mix. Except for the F-4B and C/D kits, the Hasegawa F-4s are very good, in spite of their age. Somebody could still make some good money selling an all-inclusive Air Force or Navy "Hasegawa F-4 Update set," with intakes, afterburners, and seats. If you don't want to wait for the slatted F-4E from Z-M, Hypersonic sells a very nice conversion.

Ben

13 hours ago, delayar said:

Intersting. Just as I started the Hobby Boss kit with a lot of Phase Hangar Resin upgrades. Well, I will continue anyway. 😉

Cheers,

Markus

I’m doing the same. As I’m building the HobbyBoss for my son who is an A-10 crew chief, I’ll probably get the Academy to build one for myself. 

Looking forward to seeing this kit. 

Edited by okthree
Spelling