New Tool A-10 1:48 from Academy

17 minutes ago, Solo said:

Brengu seized all of that resins from Attack Squadron and now issues it as their own.

No idea what Brengun "seized" from attack Squadron, they bought some of their moulds but certainly not all as confirmed by direct communication with the owner of Brengun Jan Sobotka.

And you come up with the exact same product as 2 people did before you.

9 hours ago, okthree said:

I’ve wondered the same. It’s hard to tell from the sprue diagram posted above. Attack Squadron made LAU-131 pods but Attack Squadron has stopped producing resin products.  Supposedly the molds were sold to Brengun and they were going to start producing the Attack Squadron products under their line. I have not seen the Brengun items yet, others may know more. 

Maybe Dave Roof can come through with his Flying Leathernecks line. A new LAU-131 pod would be a great addition. 

*I was also beat out responding. 

9 hours ago, okthree said:

Phase Hangar resin does have pods loaded with APKWS.

I've got LAU-68D/A's planned for a January release. The LAU-68D/A and LAU-131 are physically the same launcher, the difference being the -68D/A is thermally protected. The thermal coating is so subtle that in 48th scale, it isn't even going to be noticeable.

The launchers used for APKWS are longer. The USN/USMC pod is the LAU-68F/A (which I have available). Not sure what the USAF designates theirs. 

Edited by Dave Roof
  • 2 months later...

Okay, 

Received the kit yesterday in the post.  Was packed (from China) in 1/2" styrofoam, wrapped in packing tape.  Arrived completely unscathed after its multi-thousand mile journey.  No shrinkwrap on the box but no damage to the box at all. 

Not quite filled to the top with plastic but that's of no problem to me.  The parts, though.  Absolutely exquisite molding and I completely retract and humbly bow my head for my sin of supposed "missing" rivet detail on the aft fuselage and tail surfaces.  They are simply so well-executed that they really get the job done.  

The injection-molded gun muzzle is also very well-done.  If anyone wanted to "just" do an OOB build, this is the kit do do it.  The one-piece aft fuselage is really, really nice as well.   

Main gear tires are flat on the bottom.  Sway braces galore, separately molded.  The clear canopy parts are VERY clear and the forward windscreen molded part is precisely created to allow it being raised for maintenance as I saw on occasion while working A-10's at Davis-Monthan back in the 80's.   

I give this kit a strong 9.5 for just how it looks in the box.  Nicely packaged and appears totally accurate.  Oh...two pilot heads included. One with visor up and one down.  

I just got my 2 kits from SprueBrothers this morning. I have agree with what Fangschleister wrote. This appears to be very nice!  They made excellent use of slide molding to mold the fuselage with raised rivets.  Not only are they truly raised 360 degrees around the part, they also won't be obliterated sanding seems smooth from fuselage joints. 

The molding is crisp and delicate.  The details appears good. I have just started the first couple of steps (nose gear bay and cockpit).  So far the build experience is on par to Tamiya's F-14, F-4, and F-35.  Tamiya is a little cleaner with "idiot proofing" parts fit...in other words the part can fit one and only one way.  But with a little attention, the Academy A-10C is fitting together beautifully. 

The nose gear detail appears on par with the F-35 weapons and gear bay details.  Tamiya is a step ahead helping the modeler know what color to pain fine details (pipe fittings, junction boxes, etc) that really make the end result pop. But the detail is largely there on the Academy.  The cockpit has finely raised details that I expect would paint up well if treated like a resin detail pit.  They also have finely printed decals for the panels and I'm going to give those a try...I think they're going to look very nice.

I am a little apprehensive about the forward-aft fuselage joint, but if it fits like a lot of the other parts that fear is likely unfounded.  And I am a little dumbfounded that the intake trunk depth really does appear off.  I don't have any particular plans to absolutely confirm this dimension is in error, but I agree with the posts I've seen.  That's the intent of kit #2, planning to use aftermarket as they become available.  Kit #1 is planned OOB so I can finally build an A-10 after putting the Hobby Boss back in the box after multiple short bursts of enthusiasm.

Now I am going to need at least one A-10A from Academy when they do it for the Indiana ANG D-Day anniversary bird...

Edited by ESzczesniak
15 hours ago, VADM Fangschleister said:

iphone pics.

148 A10 helmet 02 small.jpeg

148 A10 helmet 01 crop.jpeg

There are two of each.

Doesn't look to be, out of box.  plus would seem to be a touch of scratch building for cables and connectors...etc.  In a DCS video, the control unit looks to be on the right panel, behind the TACAN controls.  I haven't seen a close up of the cockpit just yet to see if it is there. 

Check here: https://theaviationist.com/2018/12/13/up-close-and-personal-with-the-a-10-warthogs-scorpion-helmet-mounted-cueing-system/