Initial review of the Revell 1/48 SR-71 Blackbird

I understand Hobby Lobby is close to doing a revamp of their modeling sections and clearing out older product to make way for new stuff. Will that include the Revell USA Blackbird? Unknown. But, they did get in a reboxing of the Monogram 1/48 F-84F with an excellent Cartograf printed decal sheet for the USAF Thunderbirds.

While HL no longer does the 40% off coupon, they do seem to run a 40% off "boxed model kits" sale about once every other week. Will that continue once they get more new stock in, I have no idea.

I'm finishing up a project for a car model contest this weekend before getting back to my Blackbird build. But I am very close to sealing up the fuselage and addressing the dreaded seams on all assemblies. The cockpit decals fit nice and I did some minor tweaks to the back pit which I will cover in my next WIP update. Overall, Revell did a good job with the cockpit decals and details. Only thing needed are circuit breaker panels. But I understand the Red Fox cockpit upgrade set has those. Personally though what I really think is needed for a cockpit upgrade as not only breaker panels, but the front cockpit folding sunshades and the canopy latching mechanisms what should be present on the side walls (and corresponding canopy latches for the insides of the canopies themselves. I'll at least scratchbuild a set of sun shades, but I haven't quite worked up the nerve for the latches.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, habu2 said:

Just got an email from the “new” Squadron shop, they are offering the first release version (w engines) for $89.95

https://squadron.com/copy-of-1-48-revell-sr-71a-blackbird-plastic-model-kit/

(No affiliation)

That’s the US release without the engines, kit #5720.  The RoG boxing with the engines is kit #04967.

7 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

That’s the US release without the engines, kit #5720.  The RoG boxing with the engines is kit #04967.

oops you’re right. I couldn’t remember which was which and went by the (incorrect) description on the Squadron website which calls out “MULTI-PART, SEPARATE J58 ENGINES”. 🤷‍♂️

46 minutes ago, habu2 said:

oops you’re right. I couldn’t remember which was which and went by the (incorrect) description on the Squadron website which calls out “MULTI-PART, SEPARATE J58 ENGINES”. 🤷‍♂️

Unfortunately, that misleading verbiage comes directly from the US Revell listing.

https://www.revell.com/sr-71a-blackbird.html?listtype=search&searchparam=Sr-71

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up my 1/48 Revell USA SR-71A at the local shop today, unfortunately it was missing the instructions and decals. I can't say this has happened to me in the past.

I emailed Revell Germany with a copy of my receipt for instructions and decals, hopefully I hear from them soon. I was redirected from the Revell USA site to Revell Germany, so it looks like the correct process.

• 5 weeks later...

I was confused from online descriptions of the Revell USA boxing indicating it included the 'separate J-58 engine'. Today I saw that a local Hobbytown USA had a copy which when examined it shows that very description on the side of the box.  However, after checking the contents, it was obvious the only thing included was a spare copy of the front engine face and rear components not the entire engines.  Apparently, Revell has plucked the kit description straight from the Revell Gmbh release (though no mention is made of the display stand!)

I suppose, Revell USA would be abliged to provide the "missing' parts since the box description says they are included!

I still hope to obtain the Germany issue since I find the technology behind the engines to be fascinating and a key element of the Blackbird saga.  Why they decided to do this weird 'hobbled' issue I'll never understand...

Regards, Robert