Finished (1/32°) AH-1G COBRA 4th Air Cavalry Division...

Hi !

Could someone point me to the logo of the 4th Air Cavalry Division in Vietnam? I'm in the process building of the Cobra to 1/32 ° and I need informations ...

Real thanks ! 😉

C9C9EACC-3470-4271-8D49-619B952F1C4C.jpeg

Edited by top gun

Have you seen this post?  It includes information from its crew chief.  Are you using the new Special Hobby edition with the decal mistakes and want to know what to correct?

ICM 1/32 AH-1G (Early Production) - Page 6 - Helicopter Modeling - ARC Discussion Forums (arcforums.com)

Regards,

Edited by sharkmouth
Wrong link in post

Main error would be that the flags are only on the top of the stabilators.  Another, hard to tell from photos as I have not received mine yet, would be that the port Centaur is female and the starboard Centaur male.  At that time, Chinese characters & Centaurs but no sharkmouth.  The sharkmouth was to be repainted after Wretched Mildred suffered damage to her port front gun fairing (see second link below) but the hangar crew had an accident damaging the landing skids. 

Gary is a member here and painted several Cobras.  So, check the rest of the images in the long thread, especially those by Gary for markings.  Others gave good information on simple things to correct.

More information in these links:

Charlie Still Don't Surf! AH-1G References | Modelers Alliance

Gary posted the Revell Cobra he built in Vietnam so you can see that the flags are on top and some codes on the bottom:

51 yr. old 1/32nd AH-1G Cobra repair | Modelers Alliance

https://modelersalliance.org/threads/51-yr-old-1-32nd-ah-1g-cobra-repair.156231/post-370480

Let me know if you have trouble seeing the links so I can help you get registered then...

Regards,

Edited by sharkmouth
Spellcheck Police, only a warning... this time!
15 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

I have the 1/32 SH kit.  For reference, both Centaurs appear to be identical, and look to be female.

Thanks Dave... the starboard Centaur needs to schedule a mastectomy with the 'plastic surgeon' to remove his moobs then. 😀

Regards,

Edited by sharkmouth
Spellcheck Police, only warning this time.
13 hours ago, top gun said:

Thank you for all this info which I am taking note of ... Regarding the two rear stabilizers, do you know why there are two choices? with rivets and without ...

This was covered in the first link, take your time reading it and writing notes. 😉

ICM 1/32 AH-1G (Early Production) - Page 6 - Helicopter Modeling - ARC Discussion Forums (arcforums.com)

Regards,

Edited by sharkmouth
Spellcheck Police, only a warning... this time!

Hi guys ! the assembly is progressing well, i wait some mask, but i think the most difficult was the shark mouth painting...

another question, what's the primer color of the Cobra befor the camo painting. At the factory... Zinc chromate ?

what is your opinion...

thanks

2 hours ago, top gun said:

... another question, what's the primer color of the Cobra befor the camo painting. At the factory... Zinc chromate ?

what is your opinion...

Since Gary maintained Wretched Mildred and there are many photos of Cobras under maintenance, opinions are useless when facts abound.  I am curious as to why you would use the primer prior to the camouflage?  If chipping, as popular as it is, I don't see that on the photos of the Cobras as they seem to be well maintained.  In particular, we have many images of Wretched Mary (see the Modelers' Alliance links I posted), some of her under maintenance, and I don't see chipping to the primer, do you?  There is chipping to bare metal on the stub wings on many photos though.1387343863_d008(3).jpg.2c4aded270719ad6062c89edc210cd1a.jpg

image.png.d6e024f30a8d4d9f0558fa3ddcf43838.png

image.png.6a9303f264b06f6bb2cf5abe7ca3797b.png

Impacts from ground fire and shrapnel

image.png.8826cc59a49cb67d69a470d0600f69a9.png

Nose turret panels off, you can see primer:

image.png.c19ddc80d6d4f64f2f6bc1090be3ea78.png

image.png.2e682fc5121d31094eb99bd7e4886ad9.png

image.png.17c85f3164da3cc0c6728d8f7a3886d9.png

image.png.b50120517d9a4188c34acb7c36a19a4f.png

Rotor shaft tunnel panels open, see primer inside:

image.png.77f126633805ac820cf33f7465d840f6.png

Hopefully, this answers your question.  Will you be posting in progress photos to see what you do with the responses provided?

Regards,

image.png

Edited by sharkmouth
Corrected image order...
32 minutes ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

To answer your question, yes zinc chromate is the primer for the airframe.

😆 Thanks Floyd, 

After posting all those photos, I forgot to mention the color seen!

Are you planning another AH-1G build?  I am waiting on the fourth Charlie don't Surf Campaign (on another site) to begin so I can start my snakes.

Regards,

There will be one on the IPMS/USA website.  It is the AH-1G Late.  See attached pic.  Working on the figures from ICM right now.

I have three Special Hobby AH-1Gs coming.  I have to build one for a magazine so there will be more.  I do love the kit.  I think the Special Hobby one is the best of the bunch though.  It includes all the resin and photo etch that the kit needs, except the main rotor dust deflectors.  Luckily, I have those made up already.  

Floyd

IMG_1643small.jpg

Edited by Floyd S. Werner, Jr.
2 minutes ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

It includes all the resin and photo etch that the kit needs, except the main rotor dust deflectors.  Luckily, I have those made up already. 

Nicely done, as usual!  If you can, please post close-up of the rocket launchers (or at least let me know how they compare to Fireball Modelworks).  As for the main rotor dust deflectors, how will I know when you have them ready to sell?

Regards,

1 minute ago, sharkmouth said:

Nicely done, as usual!  If you can, please post close-up of the rocket launchers (or at least let me know how they compare to Fireball Modelworks).  As for the main rotor dust deflectors, how will I know when you have them ready to sell?

Well they are the Fireball Modelworks on this one.  The kit ones are okay but nothing to write home about.  Let's see the Special Hobbies resin.  I think CMK will eventually release the parts in a set.  That will probably be the easiest way to get there.   

PM me.  I have them but not enough to justify putting them on the website.  They are left overs from the AH-1F Super Conversion, which I have to do to this kit to see how it works out.  It should fit with a little bit of work.

Floyd

8 minutes ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

Well they are the Fireball Modelworks on this one.  The kit ones are okay but nothing to write home about.  Let's see the Special Hobbies resin.  I think CMK will eventually release the parts in a set.

I meant when you get the SH kit... it appears we both are waiting then! 😄 

However, you have seen, and used, the Fireball Modelworks one.  If Fireball's are better, then I need to send an e-mail on Shapeways to have them printable to 1/32nd scale.

Regards,

I’ve got the SH kit (3 of them actually), and while the resin XM-158 rocket launchers look great, I’m not to keen on them being in two pieces, front and rear.  You have to remove the parts from the casting blocks keeping the mating surface perfectly level, which is something I always have trouble with. It looks like Metallic Details has a 3D printed set with one piece tubes.

http://metdetails.com/catalog/metalic-details/aircraft/132/mdr3215-xm158-275-inch-rocket-launcher

I’m just waiting for Aerocraft to release the metal landing skids before I start mine.  Have the Quinta Studios cockpit set that I’ll be using instead of the PE IPs and seat belts, nice as they are in the SH boxing.

I’d be surprised if they release the resin and 3D printed stuff separately.  I suspect SH paid CMK to make those items for them and would have to give permission to sell them separately, and why would they when they’d rather have people buy their boxing of the kit.

On 1/12/2022 at 1:14 PM, Dave Williams said:

It looks like Metallic Details has a 3D printed set with one piece tubes.

http://metdetails.com/catalog/metalic-details/aircraft/132/mdr3215-xm158-275-inch-rocket-launcher

I’m just waiting for Aerocraft to release the metal landing skids before I start mine.  Have the Quinta Studios cockpit set that I’ll be using instead of the PE IPs and seat belts, nice as they are in the SH boxing.

I’d be surprised if they release the resin and 3D printed stuff separately.  I suspect SH paid CMK to make those items for them and would have to give permission to sell them separately, and why would they when they’d rather have people buy their boxing of the kit.

David, have you seen my post on the AH-1G Late from ICM? 

I showed the MicroDesign panel which, to my eye, seems more accurate and almost as nice (Quinta's makes me hungry as it seems to be cake icing). 

I was unaware of the Metallic Details product, would love to see before buying (but their turned metal barrels are exceptional in quality and accuracy).   

image.thumb.png.3b2c92f0da3a48d286a20292a142803b.png

Lightening holes are missing.

Not hard to drill I guess:

image.png.9e9db6591d7b51c28dd6662fb6286381.png

I've not heard of Aerocraft before.... as long as they're not Scale Aircraft Conversions (SAC as in a sack of 💩) I'd love to see them as well.

Regards and thanks,

Edited by sharkmouth
Spe
1 hour ago, sharkmouth said:

David, have you seen my post on the AH-1G Late from ICM? 

I showed the MicroDesign panel which, to my eye, seems more accurate and almost as nice (Quinta's makes me hungry as it seems to be cake icing). 

I was unaware of the Metallic Details product, would love to see before buying (but their turned metal barrels are exceptional in quality and accuracy).   

image.thumb.png.3b2c92f0da3a48d286a20292a142803b.pngLightening holes are missing.

Not hard to drill I guess:

image.png.9e9db6591d7b51c28dd6662fb6286381.png

I've not heard of Aerocraft before.... as long as they're not Scale Aircraft Conversions (SAC as in a sack of 💩) I'd love to see them as well.

Regards and thanks,

I think I saw your post, but more PE panels and other stuff really doesn’t interest me with the 3D stuff available.  Speaking of 3D sets, a new company called Kelik has a set, which looks very nice.  I like the raised rings around the instruments.

https://reskit-models.com/scale-plastic-model-kits?product_id=3224

In any case, I’ve already spent the money on the Quinta sets, and I don’t see spending more money on other set that might only be incrementally better.

Aerocraft Models definitely is not SAC.  Here’s their site, although the AH-1 skids aren’t listed yet.

https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/products

Their metal gear parts are hard brass, similar to the G-Factor stuff, not the soft pot metal that SAC uses.

Link to the thread on the skids over at LSP.

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/91576-aerocraft-early-late-skids-for-icmspecial-hobby-ah-1g/#comment-1323440

I ordered some of the Metallic Details sets off of eBay.  They make gun turrets, minigun pods, and all three rocket launchers.  On eBay, some sellers are offering combo packs.

1 minute ago, Dave Williams said:

I ordered some of the Metallic Details sets off of eBay.  They make gun turrets, minigun pods, and all three rocket launchers.  On eBay, some sellers are offering combo packs.

Thanks for the reply.  I bought the MicroDesign products since I had two Cobras to update.  Once I saw Floyd was using them, I did ask his opinion and we concurred on the MicroDesign being better.  Of course, I am not tossing out the Quinta Studio items!  That money was hard earned! 😄

I will be looking for the package deals.

Kelik might be something to look forward to even though I have the leftover Eduard panel for the third (Special hobby) kit which already comes with PE.

Regards and thanks again,

5 hours ago, sharkmouth said:

I meant when you get the SH kit... it appears we both are waiting then! 😄 

However, you have seen, and used, the Fireball Modelworks one.  If Fireball's are better, then I need to send an e-mail on Shapeways to have them printable to 1/32nd scale.

These are the older ones that were done with tubes.  I saw his resin ones and I suspect that they are even better than these.  I'll probably order some just for my other ICM kits.

Floyd

I just ordered a bunch of stuff for the ICM Cobras from Metallic Details.  Thier stuff looks amazing, even better than mine.  I bought TOW racks even though I have a bunch of them.  The things you can do in CAD is superior to what you can do with scratch building things and casting them.  I'm not ashamed to say they look great.  I bought four sets. Their turrets look great.  All of their rocket pods look impressive.  I bought a bunch of them. 

I was hoping they did a better job on the landing gear.  It looked perfect.  I need both a early and late unfaired one. 

The Kelik set looks exactly like the Quinta Studios one.  I have some of those.   

I'll keep you abreast of how things develop with the Special Hobbies kit.

On the Microdesign cockpit don't forget to cut the sidewalls down to facilitate the side panels and new instrument panel.  MicroDesign is the only company to get the instrument panel and side consoles correct so far.  They do require modifying the kit parts, but they are really accurate.  Everyone else is just having you place the parts on top of the kit parts which are okay but not quite 100% accurate  

Floyd 

• top gun changed the title to Finished (1/32°) AH-1G COBRA 4th Air Cavalry Division...