Group Build Proposal: F-16 Fighting Falcon Furball

Poll: F-16 GB  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Will you participate in the F-16 GB ?

• Yes
    • No, but you guys have fun

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/16/2022 at 10:41 AM

I just finished a Tamiya 1/48 scale.  I had so much fun and I have a bunch more in the stash I would be up for another. I’ve got a couple other projects on the bench I need to finish first but if I’ve got the whole year, count me in. 

I think the last time there was an F-16 group build back in about 2008 it had a high participation rate.  Participation in group builds haven’t been high in the last few years but hopefully there will be a few of us joining in. 

7-F58-C763-FC40-4-FCE-B071-8-C25974-EB4-

On 1/12/2022 at 9:58 AM, okthree said:

I just finished a Tamiya 1/48 scale.  I had so much fun and I have a bunch more in the stash I would be up for another. I’ve got a couple other projects on the bench I need to finish first but if I’ve got the whole year, count me in. 

I think the last time there was an F-16 group build back in about 2008 it had a high participation rate.  Participation in group builds haven’t been high in the last few years but hopefully there will be a few of us joining in. 

7-F58-C763-FC40-4-FCE-B071-8-C25974-EB4-

That factored into my thinking. It has been a very long time since there was an F-16 GB, and looking back at the old GB it was successful, but sadly most of the participants do not post anymore, so it is really time for the current generation of posters to have a go. Nice F-16 BTW

58 minutes ago, crackerjazz said:

Hi Kurt H, the only kit I have of the F-16 is a cockpit.    Does that qualify for the GB?  : )     Beautiful work there, okthree -- that's something straight out of a Honey I Shrunk The Kids movie!

Sure, what the heck .. it is something from an F-16

Thanks, Kurt!

9 hours ago, habu2 said:

Is that the 1/12 Esci kit?  I have one of those too….

That's the one, yeah : ) Excellent chance to build our cockpits : )   Add 3 monitors and they'll look like 1/12 home flight simulator rigs : )

Edited by crackerjazz
17 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Weird as I was intending to make an F-16 myself with an 1:48 Academy F-16A/C and the Two bobs F-16C aggressor sheet

I am just starting the same kit, and am tempted to join, but my skills suck so much that I'm not sure I would want to share my final build 🙂

Don't sell yourself short, you've got the skills for sure.  I know a good bunch of modelers here who have practically mastered building and painting techniques and are very methodical and can breeze through builds but a lot of us are still learning and struggling to create what we see in our mind's eye : )    Just do your best and let's build for the fun of it.  A completed model, however poorly done, is still better than an unbuilt kit : )

8 hours ago, Ken Cartwright said:

I am just starting the same kit, and am tempted to join, but my skills suck so much that I'm not sure I would want to share my final build 🙂

Cracker is right. Hey, I am just about to finish a replacement model for one I made decades ago. I used to think it was good. Not compared to what I make now. You cant get better until you start. In fact the first few models I shared on ARC are not great, but they were good for me at the time. NOW, I can see how much I have improved from learning from the people on this site. With time you can learn from yourself.

8 hours ago, Ken Cartwright said:

We are always our own harshest critics.

Even if that were true, and I doubt that it is, I really dont care. The idea of it all is to do something you enjoy and have some fun while youre doing it.

My problem with a group build is it takes me so long to do anything.

The only time in the recent past Ive finished something "on time" is a model I was doing for a friend as a gift to her husband. I needed it ready for when I went away to see them. Otherwise its taken me nearly a month to finish a 1:144 Revell F-15E so far...

Usually wait until we have enough people wanting to take it on then wait for the start date otherwise its not really part of the GB...

Might get away with a light start, like starting weapons but you dont really want to start the build proper like the cockpit etc as its all meant to be within the GB timeframe.

9 hours ago, Ken Cartwright said:

Don't be that way ... This whole forum is welcoming to modelers of all skill levels, as is this group build.  

12 hours ago, Kurt H. said:

Don't be that way ... This whole forum is welcoming to modelers of all skill levels, as is this group build.  

Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone, and I wasn't thinking that anyone here would be critical, just that I wouldn't feel like what I produce would be something I'd want to share.

13 hours ago, Kurt H. said:

Start now and put a topic in the Jet modelling forum ... we will get a Group Build in the GB forum when Steve has time.

Thanks Kurt!   Can we start a WIP in the In-Progress section instead?   By the way, I just discovered the instrument decals are missing from my kit : bummer : (    I might have to go the xerox machine route.