Differences between the F8E and F8C

Hi all,

I'm planning to convert the Hasegawa F8E to a 'C variant.

Can someone help with an overview of differences? I'm aware of the lack of the hump on the spine on the 'C version but I'm not sure as to how and where the 'C spine fairs into the tail. I'm sure there are more differences but of those I'm not aware.

Also not sure if the 'C was Zuni / Sidewinder capable just behind the cockpit and if yes if this was a twin or single set up.

All help appreciated.

Thanks,

The big difference is that the F-8C has the small radome and the F-8E the larger one. That means you need to redo the entire nose to get a C. It's non-trivial to do a conversion without a replacement nose (and that means everything forward of where the nose is faired into the fuselage because the entire fairing of the radome into the fuselage changes, including the windscreen).

The C introduced the dual pylons for Sidewinders and Zuni's.

the F-8C also was the last version with the rocket pack in the belly, but that's less noticeable unless you want to pose with everything open.

Here's an old thread on it F-8E to a C - Jet Modeling - ARC Discussion Forums (arcforums.com)

You might put feelers out for the old but excellent Cutting Edge conversion. It does require lopping off a fair chunk of the forward fuselage since the cross section moving forward became elliptical in shape along with different surface details.

23 hours ago, serendip said:

Hi all,

I'm planning to convert the Hasegawa F8E to a 'C variant.

Can someone help with an overview of differences? I'm aware of the lack of the hump on the spine on the 'C version but I'm not sure as to how and where the 'C spine fairs into the tail. I'm sure there are more differences but of those I'm not aware.

Also not sure if the 'C was Zuni / Sidewinder capable just behind the cockpit and if yes if this was a twin or single set up.

All help appreciated.

Thanks,

http://superheatmemorial.blogspot.com/2018/12/summary-differences-vought-f8uf-8.html

The forward fuselage of the F-8C is narrower than the F-8E, hence both Muroc and Cutting Edge had replacements for the entire forward fuselage, radome and instrument panel, aswell as the already mentioned dorsal hump missing on the -C. Your choice ofcourse if you want to do an easy conversion and just remove the "hump" and change the radome, but then you know.