SU-27 Flanker B decal help

Hi everyone,

I know little about flankers but always loved the early single seaters.

I am wanting to build an old school green radome jet or one of the polar guardian jets that are very weathered.

I have a GWH su27B in the mail. Are the decals in the box any good? It comes with a green noser that i am keen on.

Does anyone have any suggestions for aftermarket decals? 

Thanks everyone.

Hi 

As the decision maker of the GWH Su-27 kit painting schemes selection, maybe I can give your some thoughts.

First, you can find full instruction sheet here:

L4824 Su-27 Flanker B (Plastic model)

I spent LOTS of time to search early style green nose Su-27 used in Soviet era.

Why?

Because most of those Su-27 are early batches, with different tail boom(close like Su-35S ones) and other details.

Even some of them have the late style tail boom, the front wheel mud guard is the early style(3 holes on each side) and maybe the early style main wheel hub(WITHOUT small holes on radiation desk) too.

The "Red 04" I selected, is the very few one used in Soviet era, having the standard late batch features:

1. late style nose wheel mud guard(1 hole on each side);

2. late style main wheel hub;

3. no anti-vibration bar on vertical fins;

4. late style tail boom(to store more APP-50 chaff dispenser launchers);

5. late style K-36DM ejection seat(smaller headrest).

There are aftermarket decal for green nose options, e.g. D48090 decal recently released by Eduard.

But you need to pay attention if the decal option is accurate for specific airframe considering above features.

For example Eduard provides you "Blue 24" option with green nose, but from my reference that airframe used early style mud guard at the time being.

There is also another way to build "Blue 24" for accuracy: buy Quickboost 48853 which is the early style mud guard.

Attention the Reskit tire set: the wheel hub diameter is too large and the rubber tires are too thin, so they are very inaccurate.

Regarding the GWH kit decal quality, I can see most modeler who have built it on Facebook or other SNS are happy with it.

Though it's a bit thick, but the printing quality is good, also the design is quite accurate, all based on real life reference and/or manual.

If you are still looking for Cartograf level super quality decal, maybe you can try Eduard D48090.

But I cannot comment it since I have never used (seems like it is not printed by Cartograf).

Just my 2 cents.

Yufei

Edited by haneto

Regarding green nose Su-27 single seater decal option, really not too much selection.

Besides Eduard D48090, there are:

Linden Hill 48005 "Flankers on Patrol" ("Red 36/38", the "Orion Killer" but it's definitely an early batch one with early style tail boom which you cannot build from the GWH kit);

Linden Hill 48010 "Flankers on Patrol 3 from Sun Up to Sun Down" ("Red 27", lack of detailed information);

Linden Hill 48040 "'Guardians of the North' Update" ("Blue 03", lack of detailed information).

Those are top notch quality decals very well researched and printed.

48040 can still be purchased from Linden Hill home page.

But again, you need to check reference about the batch features of specific airframe of Su-27, which maybe the most difficult part since they did not leave too much photos at the time being.

HTH.

Yufei

You have also in 1/48 (and 1/72) scale :

Hi-Decal HD48050 Su-27 S/SK/UB:

- Ethiopian AF Su-27 S MiG killer with victory marking in very faded standard camo

- Angolan AF Su-27 SK and UB in sand/green/black green jungle camo (green nose) 

- Eritrean AF Su-27 S and UB in 3 tone splinter camo und fake canopy

- Indonesian AF Su-27SK in 2 tone grey camo

Quellbild anzeigen

Hi-Decal HD48003 Su-27 S/SK:

- Soviet AF "blue 24" ( green nose) 

-Soviet AF "red 10" with sharkteeth

- Soviet and Ukrainian AF "blue 06"

- Chinese AF "24"

105094-12906-pristine.jpg

Greetings

Diego

3 hours ago, Diego said:

You have also in 1/48 (and 1/72) scale :

Hi-Decal HD48050 Su-27 S/SK/UB:

- Ethiopian AF Su-27 S MiG killer with victory marking in very faded standard camo

- Angolan AF Su-27 SK and UB in sand/green/black green jungle camo (green nose) 

- Eritrean AF Su-27 S and UB in 3 tone splinter camo und fake canopy

- Indonesian AF Su-27SK in 2 tone grey camo

Hi-Decal HD48003 Su-27 S/SK:

- Soviet AF "blue 24" ( green nose) 

-Soviet AF "red 10" with sharkteeth

- Soviet and Ukrainian AF "blue 06"

- Chinese AF "24"

Greetings

Diego

I think he is referring to the specified Soviet/Russian green nose Su-27?

I almost forget the Begemot decals which you can also find some green nose Su-27 options.

But unfortunately most of them are early batches with early style tail boom, which you cannot build from the GWH kit.

Sukhoi Su-27 1.48, part 1

Sukhoi Su-27 1.48, part 2

8 hours ago, haneto said:

Regarding green nose Su-27 single seater decal option, really not too much selection.

Besides Eduard D48090, there are:

Linden Hill 48005 "Flankers on Patrol" ("Red 36/38", the "Orion Killer" but it's definitely an early batch one with early style tail boom which you cannot build from the GWH kit);

Linden Hill 48010 "Flankers on Patrol 3 from Sun Up to Sun Down" ("Red 27", lack of detailed information);

Linden Hill 48040 "'Guardians of the North' Update" ("Blue 03", lack of detailed information).

But again, you need to check reference about the batch features of specific airframe of Su-27, which maybe the most difficult part since they did not leave too much photos at the time being.

HTH.

Yufei

Hello!

Thank you for the very detailed answer. It is most helpful. 

It may not be 100% accurate for me but I think I will get that Linden hill sheet and do blue 03. It has really cool nose art and good weathering. Exactly what I am after. 

Thank you for the help. 

Tom

On 1/11/2022 at 12:17 AM, haneto said:

Regarding green nose Su-27 

Yufei

Hi Yufei,

I am wondering if you would know what colours the camoflague scheme is on blue 03 from the guardians of the north sheet. I cant find the instructions anywhere and you are the flanker expert. Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you kindly

Tom

On 1/16/2022 at 5:58 AM, tomthegrom said:

Hi Yufei,

I am wondering if you would know what colours the camoflague scheme is on blue 03 from the guardians of the north sheet. I cant find the instructions anywhere and you are the flanker expert. Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you kindly

Tom

Sorry I do not have too much information about that airframe.

I believe you can find some from Linden Hill decal instruction sheet, but do not expect too detailed ones, since most of the airframes at the time being, did not leave too many photo evidence, especially the upper fuselage angle which is not easy to see unless it's inflight.

Although they may not differ too much compared with factory regulated camo pattern.

Yufei