1/48 Kinetic F/A-18D - Built in 3 days......

So, back in September of 2021, I was contacted by the SgtMaj and OpsO of VMFA(AW)-533 and asked to build a model of an F/A-18D for the outgoing Commanding Officer, LtCol Brubeck. At the time they were deployed and our comm was great until late October when I stopped hearing from them. After a few weeks, I just figured there was a change of plans or operational commitments took precedence and the project was dead. No worries, it happens.

On Tuesday, the 4th of January I received a phone call from the OpsO asking if I was okay because I hadn't responded to his emails or texts. He was sending the emails to .com and my address ends in .net! After a bit, it was also discovered that none of his texts after the 21st of October went through. Anyway, he asks if I have the model ready and invites me to the Change of Command for Friday, the 7th! "Sir, I never started it when I stopped hearing from you as I wasn't sure if it was still on or what aircraft you wanted depicted" was my response. No worries he says, we'd still love to have you join us for the CoC. Empty handed is fine and we can discuss a way to get something done for the CO while you're here.

After we got off the phone I turned to my girlfriend and said, there is no way I can go empty handed! Thank God for her because she already knew and said do what you have to do and if you need anything, just let me know. 

At approximately 1800 on the 4th, I took a Kinetic kit off the shelf and got to work. Worked until midnight, then got up at 0400 and worked again until midnight on Wednesday. Repeated on Thursday, but this time worked until 0230 on Friday morning when it was completed. Slept for 3 hours and at 0700 on Friday morning, I left for MCAS Beaufort, SC. Thankfully it is only a 4 1/2 hour drive!

From a modelers stand point, the finished piece is definitely a 5 footer at best! However, the CO and the Marines loved it. The Wing Pylons, LAU-115, LAU-127 and LAU-7 are all Flying Leathernecks items. AIM-120C and AIM-9X are from the Hasegawa weapons set E and the seats are resin items that were painted by my late friend Chuck Cook. The markings were cobbled together from Flying Leathernecks and Afterburner sheets, as well as home made aircrew markings printed on a laser printer. Kit was painted with Hataka, MRP, Model Master and Tamiya colors. The base was purchased at Hobby Lobby with the text and squadron logo cut on my Silhouette. Aviator wings and LtCol rank were from my stash of similar items I use for other such builds. 

On to an EA-6B Prowler for another Marine!

271550372-10210001399588586-220420725372

271587049-10210002764702713-657899595087

Edited by Dave Roof
2 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

Not sure what happened, but they should be visible now.

I can see them now, excellent build which should inspire me to build one of mine.

Not sure why, a few of the online builds has scared me away from building any of the Kinetic Hornets, currently I’m building a Hasegawa Hornet, I’ve built so many of them I know the technique to get them to go together flawlessly.

1 hour ago, Scooby said:

I can see them now, excellent build which should inspire me to build one of mine.

Not sure why, a few of the online builds has scared me away from building any of the Kinetic Hornets, currently I’m building a Hasegawa Hornet, I’ve built so many of them I know the technique to get them to go together flawlessly.

The Kinetic kits strongest points are the updated details and the trailing edge flap actuators are a bit thicker, making for a slightly stronger join. Overall, I still rate the Hasegawa kit slightly better as it builds much easier. The vertical tails on the Hasegawa kit are proportionately more accurate as well, which is why I like to size my decals to it. 

24 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

The Kinetic kits strongest points are the updated details and the trailing edge flap actuators are a bit thicker, making for a slightly stronger join. Overall, I still rate the Hasegawa kit slightly better as it builds much easier. The vertical tails on the Hasegawa kit are proportionately more accurate as well, which is why I like to size my decals to it. 

After having worked on Hornets I find visually the Hasegawa Hornets look better too, the nose and spine on the Kinetic kit look off. Although the spine on the Hasegawa Hornet might be a little too flat. I sat on that spine enough on real Hornets to flatten it out though.