F-111 expert opinions needed - scale drawings

I'm looking at starting a fairly ambitious large-scale Aardvark project.  I've seen a couple different scale drawings floating around out there (Warpaint, Detail & Scale) but would love some expert opinion on which drawings (if any) are considered most accurate.  At first look the Warpaint drawings look pretty good.  What say the Aardvark cogniscenti?

Thanks,

Matt

17 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

I cant say as Ive seen neither, or not that I can remember. The only ones I know are the GD originals. 

Is there a way to obtain the GD originals?  I've seen a couple ebay auctions for F-111 technical drawings but wasn't sure if those are legit.

2 minutes ago, bashace said:

Have you checked out "F-111_dot_net? May find a good source there.

I did go through that site and unless I missed something they didn't have scale drawings.  Lots of good reference photos though.

1 minute ago, titan said:

I did go through that site and unless I missed something they didn't have scale drawings.  Lots of good reference photos though.

They changed the format, used to be more forum based, could put your questions in there and get replies if anybody had the answers.

8 minutes ago, bashace said:

They changed the format, used to be more forum based, could put your questions in there and get replies if anybody had the answers.

I don't see a forum at all anymore.  Just a long page linking to different articles.

I have shots of the "A" models from S.E.A. and even caught a couiple of the A.F. originals in the grey/white paint scheme that were being used as training aircraft for aircaraft mechanics.

If you want to design a geometrically accurate 3D model of an airplane you need the most reliable reference material. In particular you need loft and station lines drawings. Scale drawings may be nicely detailed but it doesn't mean they are accurate because you don't know how they were made. Search on Ebay "1970's General Dynamics F-111 Aardvark Jet blueprint plans tech drawings DETAIL. Someone in the UK seems to be selling a drawings archive CD-ROM/DVD-ROM that you'd probably find interesting (check the previews).

I can't vouch for their accuracy, but my magazine index indicates that scale plans appeared in:

Scale Model International Feb 84 (re-printed from Jun 71, with added cross-sections)

Modelaid International Jan 87

Scale Aviation Modeller International Feb 11 (reprint of SMI set above)

Scale Aircraft Modelling Apr 11 (RAAF versions)

There's also a few GD drawings including a three-view with cross sections in Aero Series No.29

Edited by andyf117
  • 2 weeks later...

These were the original ones that were being used as training devices at Sheppard A.F.B. for aircraft mechanics.  If you ever say the Revell original F-111 kit you could do either grey or cammoflaged.  I believe this was when the Navy was considering getting the F-111 too.

2 hours ago, ikar said:

These were the original ones that were being used as training devices at Sheppard A.F.B. for aircraft mechanics.  If you ever say the Revell original F-111 kit you could do either grey or cammoflaged.  I believe this was when the Navy was considering getting the F-111 too.

Yeah I have a couple of those kits. It can indeed be built as an F-111A or F-111B