High Gloss Touch Up Advice

I was wondering about any advice others may have on doing touch ups on high gloss finishes.  I have a VX-4 F-4J nearing the end.  The final gloss is all Tamiya X-22.  It's gone well, but there were a couple small spots I had to spray a touch up layer of X-22.  On that matter, turns out cotton gloves still live a "finger print" (it's the cloth pattern) sometimes and nitrile rubber gloves seem to be the way to go. 

Anyway, no matter how you slice it, there is a small zone of transition from the nice gloss "wet coat" where the spray starts to feather out and it's not quite so clear and wet.  I don't think there's anyway to avoid this.  I've used some loose masks to minimize, but can't think of anyway to cut it out completely.  So...

1) Is there a method I'm missing to get rid of this "over spray" surrounding the touched up areas?

or

2) Best advice for dealing with the soft borders?  I'm think this is is the place for polishing compound, but interested in any other feedback. 

There are a couple of things you could try...

1.  Those polishing cloths that go to 12,000. I would start at maybe 6000 and go to 12,000 and see how that works out.

2.  If you have Tamiya polishing paste that would be another option. I would not start with the coarse polish though.

3.  Novus polish...again start with the middle grade.

Be very careful that you don't go too far and create a bigger problem. The key here is a very light touch and check often to see what's happening. "plasmo" on youtube has some videos where he polishes out clear coat over decals to blend them in. I'll see if I can find an appropriate one.

Bob

Found one, skip to the 17' mark.   But I would not start with 3000 grit in your case. 

Edited by Bob Beary
added info