Decals for F-100D tail numbers in SEA Camo?

Hello all!

I'm trying to build an F-100D in early-70s SEA camouflage, but the decal sheet I have comes with incorrect tail numbers and I need to find replacements. I have multiple decal sheets for USAF 45 degree letters and numbers, but none have numbers small enough to match the ones on these F-100s.

Does anyone know if a decal sheet that has the correct sized numbers for this style of F-100? If not, does anyone know the official size of these tail numbers?

Here is a photo of what I'm talking about:

51822027411_298c703427_b.jpg

Caracal's 48003 would actually enable you to reproduce that exact serial by combining the two supplied on the sheet...

....the problem is that it's 'sold out' - but someone may either have one that they're prepared to part with, or haven't used those parts...

....might be worth a post in 'Buy and Sell' or the 'Spares Box'?

2 hours ago, andyf117 said:

Caracal's 48003 would actually enable you to reproduce that exact serial by combining the two supplied on the sheet...

....the problem is that it's 'sold out' - but someone may either have one that they're prepared to part with, or haven't used those parts...

....might be worth a post in 'Buy and Sell' or the 'Spares Box'?

I'll take a look around, so thank you.

Does anyone actually know the regulation size for the serial numbers on this style of F-100 markings? It would help me out a ton to know this.

The sheets for 45 degree numbers/letters I have in my stash all have 8" as the smallest, but these are simply too large.

Techmod has a sheet that goes down to 6", so that might work, but...confirmation would help!

I don't have a F-100 kit anymore to size it out but if you have the Techmod 6" sheet or any sheet with 6" USAF letters, you can check the math width layout/size of them and compare to that kit area and see if it matches in size to the specific airframe you're looking to model. Or just measure the height of that little kinked corner height of the rudder compared to 1/48 scale 5" or 6" numbers (0.1042" or 0.125" respectively) and see how it compared to the sizing of the 1/1 pic between the heights of the kink and the numbers. Although the TO says 5" for F-100, 6" was common for that "USAF xxxx" s/n numbering in general for many AF types, so many sheets will have at least 6".

Edited by ziggyfoos

Judging by the Caracal sheet, 6" is what you need - the T.O. 1-1-4 specs above show 5" for that AF 'block' presentation style, and the USAF 'double line' digits on the decal sheet are fractionally bigger than the 'block' ones: http://www.caracalmodels.com/products/images/cd48003.jpg

Edited by andyf117