(2022 F-16 Group Build) S.E.A. Camo F-16C

We are starting the Group Build in the Jet modeling forum until we can get the group build set up. No sense in waiting, it is time to strike while the iron is hot, and enthusiasm is at a peak.

For this Group Build I am going to build the Tamiya F-16 with the new decal sheet from Caracal Models. This subject is too cool for me to let it languish in my decal hoard.

2v2amjtCVx9awpY.jpg

I got great guidance regarding which kit to use for this project in Caracal Models section of the forum.   I will start soon, I am waiting on a Quinta Studios cockpit set, and a Master Brass Pitot set. They should both be here soon.  I am also trying to finally finish my CAS Viper .. using a Caracal sheet. 

See you soon!

I had some space on the bench, and a few other projects at stopping points while paint/glue dry. So... what better thing to do than start another kit? I have not built very many modern Tamiya kits. For many years, the new releases were often of subjects of little interest to me. I started to wonder if every new major release was so popular just because it was the new Tamiya kit .... or if it was a desired subject.  I seemed to always be building old Monogram kits as they had the subjects I wanted to build. Then I built a Hasegawa F-16 ... which was awesome, I realized models did not always have to be a fight! As my interests have changed, and more new kits have been released, I finally have modern kits of subjects I want to build. The F-16 has not always appealed to me, but lately F-16s, and F-18s have really started to grow on me, so it is a great opportunity to build a modern kit of a modern jet.

With my speech over, let us get to work!

I assembled all the parts which will be white in the main landing gear bay

2v2aTkpN8x9awpY.jpg

I like to be able to glue bare plastic to bare plastic when I can ... It is fun and sticks so much better. I will need to go through the kit and see what parts need to be painted which color, and have a painting session to get as much pre-painted as possible.

I plan to use the Quinta studios set for the cockpit.  Here is a comparison of the quinta parts and the kit parts:

2v2aTkprMx9awpY.jpg

The raised detail here is very nice. But, I really do not like trying to paint it. I can not achieve anything close to what can be done with a decal or a 3-D decal. My new years resolution is to never again paint cockpit details! 

The tricky part is to remove the nicely molded detail. I have micro chisels, so that will probably be the best tool for the job.

The instrument panel looks like it will be a pretty intricate task:  (scalpel for scale)

2v2aTkp8dx9awpY.jpg

I will work on the detail removal when I am not tired. It looks like it will require concentration.

See ya in the next episode!

Edited by Kurt H.
  • 2 weeks later...

I finished two models this weekend, so I was able to clear some room on the bench and get to work

First, I assembled the cockpit, and installed the Quinta set

2v2aSWK3yx9awpY.jpg

And it is much better than anything I could do with paint. The color does not match, but once it is assembled, I do not think it will be noticeable.

I know the rudder pedals are not straight 😑

I painted the white parts ... I could have done better .. I started with paint that was too thin .. then the next batch was a little thick. This is over black primer, so it sort of adds some depth.

2v2aSWKv5x9awpY.jpg

And then the next thing I knew, the fuselage was together

2v2aSWKHFx9awpY.jpg

It was a bit tricky to mate the forward fuselage to the  aft fuselage, to keep the radius of the curves even.  I left that set over night, then cemented the top and bottom together. I wanted it to set quickly, so I used Ambroid Pro Weld and a Touch n flo applicator. I think there is no seam visible along the aft fuselage where the stabilizers will go.

Nice kit so far.

See ya all soon ..

7 hours ago, Kurt H. said:

I finished two models this weekend, so I was able to clear some room on the bench and get to work

First, I assembled the cockpit, and installed the Quinta set

And it is much better than anything I could2v2aSWK3yx9awpY.jpg do with paint. The color does not match, but once it is assembled, I do not think it will be noticeable.

I ran into the same color match problem when I used the Quinta set on my F-16.  It looked like it had been printed with an old dot matrix printer.  I wasn't impressed.  Figuring I had nothing to lose, I painted the mismatched areas of the side consoles with the cockpit color.  Made all the difference in the world.  Gave it a light wash to blend everything together.  Looked great.

2 hours ago, Yoxford said:

I ran into the same color match problem when I used the Quinta set on my F-16.  It looked like it had been printed with an old dot matrix printer.  I wasn't impressed.  Figuring I had nothing to lose, I painted the mismatched areas of the side consoles with the cockpit color.  Made all the difference in the world.  Gave it a light wash to blend everything together.  Looked great.

I used the Quinta decals for the F-16A I just finished.  It was my first time using it and I noticed the console colors were rather light.  I ended up touching it up with the cockpit color.  

Geoff M

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working on this one slowly. I had some other things to do the past few weeks

I attached the pieces around the nose. I consulted my reference pictures to ensure I used the correct parts

2v2ahZEgvx9awpY.jpg

Then I managed to get a  gluey finger print while installing the closed speed brake

2v2ahZEWUx9awpY.jpg

wups. and I installed the lower wings

2v2ahZEL3x9awpY.jpg

I am still getting used to building modern, recent kits, and I found it is very important to really clean every little bit of the sprue attachment point since the tolerance between the parts is so tight. 

There were a few tiny gaps to fill, so I decided to try black CA.  It sands much easier than normal CA. I am trying to avoid the use of normal putty since it seems to be impacted by the lacquer paints I like to use. 

I spent a little more time with this model

I glued the pin keeper in place for the tail

2v2ahrA35x9awpY.jpg

Then I looked ahead in the instructions and worked on the tail, and intake sub assemblies

2v2ahrAvNx9awpY.jpg

You can not see it here but I managed to get gluey fingerprints on the sides gluing those panels  on the top forward part of the intake. 🤦‍♂️

Now to any one who has built this kit, can you put the landing gear in last? the instructions would have me put the landing gear in before the intake. I hate installing landing gear in the middle of assembly.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Kurt H.
On 2/22/2022 at 9:49 AM, Wolfgun33 said:

Very nice! I was going to do the same jet (already completely built) until I saw in your build that this particular jet has the bird slicers on the nose. Back to the drawing board.

Ouch! I had to double check my references before I glued the parts in place... Sorry you have to scrap your plans. 

18 hours ago, Da SWO said:

Very nice, that plane flies out of Kelly Fld, about 30 min from where I live.

You going to use the A-10 decals from this sheet?

Thanks .. I will probably use the A-10 markings. The sheet is still available from our great Friend Kursad. 

Any way, I just finished another model I was working on so I can devote more time to this one. 

Seeing your Quinta Studios 3D decals made me start looking for some. Well, under the current situation, thats probably a no-go now. 
But they look great and I await seeing your jet with paint. 

-Jeff

On 2/24/2022 at 12:45 PM, ST0RM said:

Seeing your Quinta Studios 3D decals made me start looking for some. Well, under the current situation, thats probably a no-go now. 
But they look great and I await seeing your jet with paint. 

-Jeff

Thanks!   I am trying to get to paint soon!

I finished the model which was occupying the bench, so now I can devote more time to the F-16

I was not happy with how the seam in the intake was shaping up, so I tried Mr Disolved putty and a Qtip soaked in Mr. Color thinner to smooth it out.

Which seems to have helped the seam, but as expected removed the paint

2v2aCFvGWx9awpY.jpg

I am thinking of trying the pour latex paint down the intake technique. 

And on the rest of the airframe I used black CA to fill the gaps, and carefully sanded and rescribed

2v2aCFvnGx9awpY.jpg

I did some test fitting and it is clear I need to install the landing gear now, and not at the end as I would prefer. It will be more of a masking challenge. But I will figure it out. I really just do not like having to do it this way.

Thanks for looking and I will talk to you later

It is the Hobbylinc store brand - which means it is BSi ... Bob Smith industries. It seems to be a little easier to sand than normal CA, and I can easily see where it is.   My hope is that CA will not shrink, or otherwise react with Lacquer paint and cause a ghost seam. 

• 3 weeks later...

After what seemed like a futile .. never ending effort, I was finally happy with the seam work. so after lots of test fitting I glued the main landing gear in place, and forgot to take a picture. I was really happy with how well all the parts fit together. Coming from older kits ... lining up the all the landing gear parts is often an exercise in futility since nothing seems to reach the place it is supposed to go.  I masked the landing gear and gear bay in anticipation of primer

2v2agent8x9awpY.jpg

Next, I pre-painted areas that will be hard to reach after assembly with fs36622

2v2agenRox9awpY.jpg

I realized I should have done this before installing the main gear. But if I build another one I will remember.

I also painted the inside of the burner can. I will go back with some tan to try to replicate the tan ashy deposits seen in pictures of the inside of the exhaust

2v2agensyx9awpY.jpg

I feel like I "broke through" the doldrums of this kit and now I can gain momentum.

thanks for looking!

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got this one to primer

2v2aWAeAgx9awpY.jpg

But I found a spot that needs more work, this is on the bottom of the left wing. 

2v2aWAetnx9awpY.jpg

A little putty will hopefully take care of this. 

Till next time...