Zoukei-Mura 1/48 F-4G officially announced

3 minutes ago, Solo said:

Are there any external differences between E and G?

Yes.  A couple of noticeable ones are the gun muzzle replaced with a round nosed antenna fairing and a different fin cap on the tail.  Also, some small antennas on the sides of the nose.

If you’re asking whether you could build a slat wing E from the kit, it would depend on exactly what’s in the box, but I wouldn’t be surprised if you could, since I expect all of the parts from the unslatted E would still be in there, with the unslatted wing sprue replaced with a slatted wing sprue.

39 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

... I expect all of the parts from the unslatted E would still be in there, with the unslatted wing sprue replaced with a slatted wing sprue.

Now that would be a treat!! I hope you are right, but clever ZM marketeers  might have other ideas.

Gene K

Good news…although I just started kit bashing my way toward a Golf Model ‘Toom using parts from existing Zoukei, Hasegawa, Tamiya and Academy Phantoms!

I’m going to press on as I’m having fun with the project.

Edited by RichB63
  • 3 months later...
On 1/19/2022 at 4:50 PM, RichB63 said:

Good news…although I just started kit bashing my way toward a Golf Model ‘Toom using parts from existing Zoukei, Hasegawa, Tamiya and Academy Phantoms!

I’m going to press on as I’m having fun with the project.

I agree you should press on with it as I see shape/size issues...ugh

9 minutes ago, MRF said:

Something more specific?

Think it is just from me working them four years at George AFB '87-91 (which I would like to know if decals include the 35/37th or just typical SPang) but just from the front view (BTW, thanks for posting), find the wingtip RHAW ant. misshaped, are slats only as deployed?, upper taper of chin pod larger than chin pod, 370 tanks tilted too much, aft part of splitter top and forward lower angled too much, intake probes located too far down, 600 gal. tank bogus raised details, Nose wheels in too far, oversized antenna behind canopies (canopies themselves quite nice), and toughest to correct, vert. stab too thick. Just what I see from the large front RH view. Surely just me though...i'll stick with the few fixes and upgrades to my Hasegawa kits. 

50 minutes ago, phasephantomphixer said:

Just what I see from the large front RH view. 

And you still have the same observations/conclusions after analyzing all those other views????

Gene K

37 minutes ago, GeneK said:

And you still have the same observations/conclusions after analyzing all those other views????

Gene K

Other views reveal other issues. Many of those mentioned are fixable, but assuming the price of admission, should not need fixing. Some from other views not easily fixed, Rear WSO panel too flat, side view, stab too low for instance. Just not the kit for me, but was asked. 

1 hour ago, Geoff M said:

Never worked on one, never been near one, but it looks like anF-4G to me by gosh. 😉

Geoff M

I sure agree it does, just not as much as Hasegawa.

Sure it surpasses Hase. with modern tooling,

but not in shape in areas I listed. Believe me I wish it was perfection,

and at the assumed price I think it should be.

Buy it, enjoy it - I won't be.

12 hours ago, phasephantomphixer said:

Think it is just from me working them four years at George AFB '87-91 (which I would like to know if decals include the 35/37th or just typical SPang) but just from the front view (BTW, thanks for posting), find the wingtip RHAW ant. misshaped, are slats only as deployed?, upper taper of chin pod larger than chin pod, 370 tanks tilted too much, aft part of splitter top and forward lower angled too much, intake probes located too far down, 600 gal. tank bogus raised details, Nose wheels in too far, oversized antenna behind canopies (canopies themselves quite nice), and toughest to correct, vert. stab too thick. Just what I see from the large front RH view. Surely just me though...i'll stick with the few fixes and upgrades to my Hasegawa kits. 

Thx, always good to know things like these.

Edited by MRF
14 hours ago, phasephantomphixer said:

All those glitches may be the case with the Zoukei-Mura F-4G and aditionally, the ALQ-131 is looking much too small. 52nd TFW only had the "fat" version in use on the F-4G and -E. But to my eyes, the main errors of the Hasegawa outweighs those in form of a too bulbous looking forward fuselage and too pointy 370gal. underwing fuel tanks.

Another question is about the honeycombed NO STEP and NO PUSH markings on the top side of the wings. I saw a lot of Spangdahlem European One painted F-4Gs that time, but it is now more than 35 years ago and to my memory theses were yellow when the airplane had red ejection seat triangles under the canopies. When the triangles were black, the honeycombs on the wing were black, too. Anybody can confirm or suspect this?

The kit decals have red triangles and black honeycombs.