Zoukei-Mura 1/48 F-4G officially announced

5 hours ago, Nebbor said:

F-4S slats have a longer chord when compared to the E slats. Lets wait for someone to check the sprue ID letter. When the same as the S kit sprue, only one can be correct.

I think you misunderstand - the slats in the kit are NOT a re-use of the S kit slats. They are entirely new-tooled. The S slats have a significantly stronger camber than the E slats (i.e. the E slats are pretty "flat" while the S slats are strongly "curved" in their air foil).

All I'm saying is that the chord of the NEW TOOLED outboard slats in this G kit seems to be a bit excessive. I have been sent sprue pics by someone with the kit, I only don't have the kit yet myself. But that's going to change soon. The spue letter of the wing parts in the NEW TOOLED G kit is H by the way.

J

• 4 weeks later...

For those who may be interested, it looks like everything you need to make a slatted F-4E is included in the F-4G kit, other than the relevant cockpit parts.

Cheers,

Motty.

21 minutes ago, Motty said:

For those who may be interested, it looks like everything you need to make a slatted F-4E is included in the F-4G kit, other than the relevant cockpit parts.

Cheers,

Motty.

Including parts for the E's gun ?

10 minutes ago, Piker38 said:

Including parts for the E's gun ?

Yes. The original fairing, both styles of muzzles and the end of the barrels parts are all included.

Cheers,

Motty.

16 hours ago, Motty said:

Cheers,

Motty.

The fuselage halves in the G box are entirely new and for the G only.

You'd have to remove a number of moulded-on antennae (ok, that's not too difficult) but the biggie is you'd somehow have to scribe or otherwise instate the vent louvre panel on the nose side for making an E. Not that easy to to, maybe best by using some PE part.

And you'd have to source an E cockpit interiour, including coaming. The wing part has the reinforcement strap moulded on so it can only be used for slat-converted airframes.

J

8 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

The fuselage halves in the G box are entirely new and for the G only.

You'd have to remove a number of moulded-on antennae (ok, that's not too difficult) but the biggie is you'd somehow have to scribe or otherwise instate the vent louvre panel on the nose side for making an E. Not that easy to to, maybe best by using some PE part.

And you'd have to source an E cockpit interiour, including coaming. The wing part has the reinforcement strap moulded on so it can only be used for slat-converted airframes.

J

Yes, a photoetch replacement could be an idea.

But why don’t you make those vents. Drill a hole the size of the vent. From reverse side put in a piece of plastic card at a little depth in comparison with the surface. Do the grills from fine stretched sprue pieces. Just a little modelling work!

The open gun purge intake on top of the nose is also an easy work with a little plastic card.

I would more be worried about the underside of the nose, near the Vulcan gun covers. There is a lot of detail there which is for example is missing from the FineMolds Phantoms. It is possible to reproduce them, but it is far more work than to do those vents on the sides of the nose.

Best regards

Gabor

5 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Yes, a photoetch replacement could be an idea.

But why don’t you make those vents. Drill a hole the size of the vent. From reverse side put in a piece of plastic card at a little depth in comparison with the surface. Do the grills from fine stretched sprue pieces. Just a little modelling work!

The open gun purge intake on top of the nose is also an easy work with a little plastic card.

I would more be worried about the underside of the nose, near the Vulcan gun covers. There is a lot of detail there which is for example is missing from the FineMolds Phantoms. It is possible to reproduce them, but it is far more work than to do those vents on the sides of the nose.

Best regards

Gabor

I suppose anything is possible with some dedicated work but why not just wait for the late F-4E while you build an F-4G?  

Geoff M

3 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Are any of you going to buy the Meng F-4G? I'm going to hold off on either kit, until I hear something of a comparison.

Yes. I've got 3 Z-M G's here and 2 of the Meng kits on pre-order.