Zoukei-Mura 1/48 F-4G officially announced

15 minutes ago, Nebbor said:

Don't know if this picture is representative for all 52nd TFW weasels but this one has red triangles and black honeycomb (or at least no yellow ones):HOpucWviJfls8yeVvmiRV8HG6LRP5tnPkyoolaGB

The A-10 on this picture reveals another interesting fact I discovered first during a visit at RAF Bentwaters in 1986. Some of the 81. TFW planes had a fourth colour in the camouflage scheme. You see the very dark green on the wings and engine cowl? But we can go deeper in this after the release of the Academy and GWH Thunderbolt kits become closer.

9 minutes ago, Nebbor said:

And for being on topic: I would like Z-M to have a wing with retracted flaps available. 99.9999% of all parked slatted F4's had them retracted.

I am not sure, but think that this option is given in the kit. A nice detail is the reinforcement strap on the belly, which other kits are missing. After looking closely to the wingtip RHAW antennaes, I must give phantomfixer right, those look off.

39 minutes ago, Nebbor said:

And for being on topic: I would like Z-M to have a wing with retracted flaps available. 99.9999% of all parked slatted F4's had them retracted.

I was disappointed when they did it on the F-4S kits.  I’ll be even more disappointed if they don’t fix it for the F-4G kits.

19 hours ago, phasephantomphixer said:

Believe me I wish it was perfection,

and at the assumed price I think it should be.

Buy it, enjoy it - I won't be.

Oh, I see you are waiting on perfection.  Enjoy the wait. (and of course perfection is cheaper)😉

Geoff M

Pilot figures, seated with visors down and masks on would be awesome, as would a pre-order bonus and another book

I'd love to see weasel builds I am most interested the kit bashed accurate, that would be very interesting

Edited by DarkKnight

I have 2 ZM Phantoms in my collection, as yet unbuilt, an F-4C and F-4S.  And I have the Tamiya F-4B, also unbuilt.  Until the Tamiya plane came out, it was my understanding that the ZM Phantoms were the number 1 choice for Phantoms.  I was (am?) still waiting for a ZM F-4E late version, but before I buy another ZM Phantom, I think I"m going to wait to see if Tamiya decides to do more F-4 variants.  Unfortunately, it may take some time for Tamiya to announce, and longer still for them to actually make available, any new variants.  Just like the P-38J that I had a strong feeling would be coming, but still has not yet 'hit the street', though I have 2 on pre-order.  I wish I had a crystal ball to determine if/when more Tamiya F-4 variants are coming.  While ZM may make a fabulous Phantom, many have suggested that the Tamiya F-4B may be their finest model yet...and I would certainly rather get any Tamiya variant if they are to exist.  Guess it's a wait and see kind of thing...

Edited by Curt B

As a former F-4E crew chief (who managed to take care of 35th G's when they came back from DS), I'll grab one if it has the Late E parts in in the kit as well. I'd also like to do a 190th FS G.

Less things to correct and detail than the Hasegawa E or G, and I have plenty of those kits for parts if Z-M messed up any thing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2022 at 9:06 PM, ThePhantomTwo said:

As a former F-4E crew chief (who managed to take care of 35th G's when they came back from DS), I'll grab one if it has the Late E parts in in the kit as well. I'd also like to do a 190th FS G.

Less things to correct and detail than the Hasegawa E or G, and I have plenty of those kits for parts if Z-M messed up any thing.

This is kind of what I'm leaning towards. Right now the only slatted E's in 1/48 available are the Hasegawa reboxed into Terminator 2020 kits from Hobbytime, but they're in Turkey. Exclusive decals and cockpit PE but the 'Gawa kits are long in the tooth. It took ZM years to get the F-4G out, and I don't think Academy are ever doing a slatted Phantom.

I've been comparing the parts trees of the ZM F-4S and F-4E(early). The ZM F-4E kit places the gun gondola and muzzle on a tree with a bunch of flaps and the APG-120 radome. The main wing segments are made so that leading edge parts to mount the slats can be separate. I suspect the slats will occupy their own sprue with the flaps, and that will mean we wont get the sprue with the gun fairing on it in the G kit, especially since with the addition of the AGM-88s and G-specific parts has only added $4 to the MSRP.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all - I currently have the ZM F-4C, F-4D, F-4E, F-4S and an inbound F-4J (in case my Academy F-4J goes sideways on me). Can you guys tell me which of these has the mis-shapen rear fuselage? For some reason I thought it was just the F-4S.

Thanks

Mike

1 hour ago, Skinny_Mike said:

Hi all - I currently have the ZM F-4C, F-4D, F-4E, F-4S and an inbound F-4J (in case my Academy F-4J goes sideways on me). Can you guys tell me which of these has the mis-shapen rear fuselage? For some reason I thought it was just the F-4S.

Thanks

Mike

From your list all ZM kits have the shape problem but F-4E one.

12 hours ago, Nebbor said:

From your list all ZM kits have the shape problem but F-4E one.

The correction set from Hypersonic is an excellent way to correct the rear-fuselage shape issue.  Accurate cut required, but quite a straightforward job. 

Wingtip RHAWS should be angled out at 45⁰, not fwd-facing, if memory serves me right. Cut the end off, file the lump back and at 45⁰, then glue the tiny teacakes on at that angle. 

The fwd fuselage and parallel canopy sides haven't been corrected. Gives the Z-M canopy a MiG-23U look. I really hope that Tamiya follows up its B with a J and E/EJ, and Zoukei go up to 1/32 with all the fixes. 

Tony

3 hours ago, tony.t said:

Wingtip RHAWS should be angled out at 45⁰, not fwd-facing, if memory serves me right. Cut the end off, file the lump back and at 45⁰, then glue the tiny teacakes on at that angle. 

The fwd fuselage and parallel canopy sides haven't been corrected. Gives the Z-M canopy a MiG-23U look. I really hope that Tamiya follows up its B with a J and E/EJ, and Zoukei go up to 1/32 with all the fixes. 

Tony

can you be a little more specific? are these short nose ZM F4 flaws or all versions?

7 hours ago, DarkKnight said:

can you be a little more specific? are these short nose ZM F4 flaws or all versions?

There is a subtle bulge around the cockpit area, with the apex around where the fixed centre canopy section is. I think only Tamiya's F-4B captures this in model form. None of the ZM kits (short and long nose), Hasegawa or even the new Fine Molds kits in 1:72 have this. As a result, the cockpits are internally narrower than they need to be. In this article Jumpei Temma converts a Tamiya F-4B into an F-4C using bits and pieces of a Zoukei Mura F-4C. You can see where he widened the ZM instrument panels in order to graft them into the Tamiya Cockpit.

http://soyuyo.main.jp/f4c/f4c-1.html

J

6 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

None of the ZM kits (short and long nose), Hasegawa or even the new Fine Molds kits in 1:72 have this.

Well, having FM kit in my hands right now, I dare to disagree. Perhaps curves are not as much pronounced as they should be, but canopy base edgdes are definitely not straight and parallel lines.

1 hour ago, MRF said:

Well, having FM kit in my hands right now, I dare to disagree. Perhaps curves are not as much pronounced as they should be, but canopy base edgdes are definitely not straight and parallel lines.

Ok, I stand corrected then. I don't have any FM F-4's, was just going with what I saw in reviews etc. and I thought I recollected some disappointment expressed by some that the cockpit bulge wasn't there. But as you say, maybe it's there just maybe a bit subtler than on Tamiya's kit.

J