Zoukei-Mura 1/48 F-4G officially announced

How many here have built any of the Z-M F-4's? I snapped up a G model within the last month, adding to my (early) E and J model Z-M Phantom kits. I'm thinking about getting the Tamiya B-model, and doing a simultaneous build of that one along with the Z-M J-model.

I’d say the Tamiya kit is both easier to build and more accurate, especially as up until the F-4E based kits, ZM had an issue with the rear fuselage profile forward of the exhausts.  As far as combining kits, it would most likely be a wasted effort.  Aside from possible fit issues, Tamiya is almost certain to release a C/D boxing of their F-4B kit themselves.

Still curious if there are any pictures of the ZM F4-G out yet - wondering if ZM or Meng will be better. The missiles included in the Meng kit do really appeal though. That seems one up on the ZM kit.

I've only seen 3D renderings of the Meng kit so far however and I try to be cautious as to how well they reflect the actual plastic.

Nice to see this thread coming back to life,

Marc.

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

I’d say the Tamiya kit is both easier to build and more accurate, especially as up until the F-4E based kits, ZM had an issue with the rear fuselage profile forward of the exhausts.  As far as combining kits, it would most likely be a wasted effort.  Aside from possible fit issues, Tamiya is almost certain to release a C/D boxing of their F-4B kit themselves.

Thats the one Im waiting for. the F-4C/D

The Hasegawa kit is long in the tooth and very expensive for what it is, the Monogram kit is a lot of work and the Academy kit is hard to find.

We have been waiting for a top class C/D for years now.

19 hours ago, DarkKnight said:

^^^another league as in easier to build or more accurate? would it make sense to try and combine 2 kits to use Tamiya as a base?

It is easier from the point of view that every piece fits exactly, no sanding of seams, no putty and sometimes you don't even need glue.   The detail is finer and I would say more accurate.  But saying all that about the Tamiya kit does not mean the Z-M kit is a dog by any means.

Geoff M

20 hours ago, MA Cooke said:

Here are a few. Not quite a complete nor thorough unboxing, but hopefully this satisfies some curiosity.

20221014_225124.jpg

20221030_180746.jpg

20221030_180850.jpg

20221030_180549.jpg

20221030_180620.jpg

20221030_180643.jpg

20221030_180719.jpg

20221030_180412.jpg

Thanks Ma,

Looks good - wondering how it compares to the Meng.

@Geoff, I agree, I have the Tamiya F4-B, still unbuilt, but if the Tamiya F14 is anything to go by (building my second one) the F4 should be excellent too.

We're so spoilt these days - almost miss Kitty Hawk - built the KH 101C though and got the intakes right in the end thanks to some really excellent threads on ARC and BM.

Marc.

• 3 weeks later...

One more, and some commentary…

Z1IavjS.jpg

Overall, I think this is a very good kit, as indicated by these images: nice surface features and good attention to detail. 

2 years ago I would have rated it as excellent all around.

This recent shift in perspective is twofold:

First and foremost, Jumpei Temma’s keen-eyed observations on Phantoms, as documented on his website.

Secondly, last year’s release of the sublime Tamiya F-4B in 1/48, rumored to have incorporated much of Jumpei’s research.

Both of these developments have raised awareness levels and caused me to view Phantom kits with a more critical eye. 

In my opinion, and I confess it’s discriminating, as explained above, ZM’s Phantom series are let down primarily by the shape of the windscreen/canopy, in particular its straight sided outline, and a too thick in cross-section vertical tail, especially toward the leading edge, unbefitting for a double sonic interceptor.

Set alongside the Tamiya kit, which captures these features, and many others, so pleasingly, the discrepancies are difficult to ignore.

Is this a case of the perfect being the enemy of the good?

Perhaps. The online forums reveal the modeling community is divided, sometimes bitterly, over what defines an acceptable level of kit accuracy. 

Personally, I welcome the careful scrutiny of details; it’s educational and, incrementally, it raises the state-of-the-art of our hobby.

I predict that in 10 years time, perhaps less, a new Phantom kit will supplant Tamiya’s benchmark F-4 in 1:48. I hope I’m still around to enjoy it.

In the meantime, it must be said that the quality (and quantity) of Phantom kits available today represent a quantum leap over what there was to choose from when I entered this hobby 50 years ago. And that makes me a happy camper.

Edited by RichB63
26 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

I suspect that you’ll be waiting for a very, very long time before Tamiya releases a 1/48 F-4G.

That’s my guess too.

Even a follow on short nose F-4C, D or J, which Tamiya’s tooling and parts layout hint at, would require a substantial set of changes, not least of which a new wing.

I hope they choose to make the effort.

Edited by RichB63

I’m certain that ZM will produce a “Later model E” Slat Wing at some point as they had announced an F-4F sometime ago. My guess is that ZM is set to produce most of the Gun Nose Phantom derivatives. (Pure speculation on my part but the news and evidence supports my humble opinion.)

The Slat Wing is now their in the form of the G, so now all they need to do is mate it up with the E fuselage to produce a “late” E. (I realize a “Late’’ and ‘or Later E can cover a broad spectrum of block models.)

I’m not going to go as far to say with certainty that what blocks are going to be produced, however the molds are essentially available for ZM to assemble and pop out.

I hope that Tamiya will not play to coy or shy away from future Phantom derivatives. That being said I’m not holding my breath for a TAMIYA F-4E. (But it would be great if they did!) 

Dave Williams,

If I may, pertaining to the ZM E kit is an example of a “Hard Wing’’ E model Phantom. 

The Kurnass (Heavy Hammer) derivative has / had the ‘’Slated Wing. ‘’

Hope that was a simple answer to your question?

Take care,  keep building, and have a Happy Thanksgivings holiday weekend,

Mr. Happy 

19 hours ago, Mr.Happy said:

MA Cooke & RichB63,

Thank you for posting and take the time to show each tree and decals of the new ZM F-4G.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving and Holiday season,

Mr. Happy

Thanks so much indeed guys - thanks for sharing!

3 hours ago, Mr.Happy said:

Dave Williams,

If I may, pertaining to the ZM E kit is an example of a “Hard Wing’’ E model Phantom. 

The Kurnass (Heavy Hammer) derivative has / had the ‘’Slated Wing. ‘’

Hope that was a simple answer to your question?

Take care,  keep building, and have a Happy Thanksgivings holiday weekend,

Mr. Happy 

That isn't 100% direct. The initial Kurnass deliveries consisted of hard wing E with the short gun blast difusor. 107 Squadron (The Knights of the orange tail) was the first squadron to receive a few soft wing models in 1973. Later all hard wing jets received the slat and Midas conversion. The last Kurnass to receive slats and long gun muzzle was tail #125 of 69 squadron. Some were I have The info when that was but it was weeelll into the late 70s. The Kurnass2000 jets were all slatted models off course.

B/r

Micharl

2 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Cant wait to see the seam line along the spine.

TtWPjYy.jpg

LPoBuYl.jpg

Additional work will be required to close these gaps.

This is where the new Meng kit offers an advantage, with its one-piece fuselage. 

Edited by RichB63