Cracked canopy--need to vent...

I’m just looking to vent (mostly) and get any ideas on what to do. I was nearing the end of a 1/72 HobbyBoss F-14A when I went to take the masking off the canopy and… proceeded to crack the damn thing down the middle. It’s a nice, 1.5 inch crack that goes from the front and halfway into the RIO’s portion of the canopy. Just my luck, the crack isn’t straight, but instead curves to the side toward the end, making it very visible on the starboard side.

All the other problems and mistakes with the build I’ve been able to fix. This one seems like it’s game over. 🤬

I want to finish the kit, but I can’t think of a way of fixing this without getting a new canopy, and I’m not sure I want to display a bird with a cracked canopy. Any suggestions?

I feel your pain.   Are you doing an open-cockpit display?  Here's a 1/72 F-14 replacement canopy (for Hasegawa) that you can probably use.    You might also try thermoforming one, if you don't mind using that canopy as a plug.  Resulting one will be slightly bigger but should be ok for an open-cockpit build.   Closed canopy is harder as you'll have to find an exact match. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2022 at 10:43 PM, Lucas C. said:

I’m just looking to vent (mostly) and get any ideas on what to do. I was nearing the end of a 1/72 HobbyBoss F-14A when I went to take the masking off the canopy and… proceeded to crack the damn thing down the middle. It’s a nice, 1.5 inch crack that goes from the front and halfway into the RIO’s portion of the canopy. Just my luck, the crack isn’t straight, but instead curves to the side toward the end, making it very visible on the starboard side.

All the other problems and mistakes with the build I’ve been able to fix. This one seems like it’s game over. 🤬

I want to finish the kit, but I can’t think of a way of fixing this without getting a new canopy, and I’m not sure I want to display a bird with a cracked canopy. Any suggestions?

On something with such a curve Im not sure if this will help and in order to get to a position to be able to try it it might be cheaper and easier to buy the parts from Hobby boss.

Water Clear Polyurethane Casting Resin - Easy Composites

• 2 months later...

If the replacement canopy doesn't work out, you can always model your Tomcat as a convertible.  

This is a photo of a VF-213 bird flying over NAS Fallon back in the early 2000s. They were giving a familiarization ride to their battle group air warfare commander (CO of USS Anzio and non-aviator) and went inverted.  When upside down, the back seater grabbed ahold of the lap ejection handle and subsequently got some fresh air. 

F-14.jpg