A question for the KC-135 intelligencia....

After conversing with st0rm on the matter and unable to find definitive answers, I turn to the masses....

I'm building an Arkansas KC-135A (of which, at best, ive found maybe 5 reference photos  of the 189th during their ARW days) and upon doing more research of A models, it seems some had the aerial wire that ran from the tail to the front of the fuselage and some did not.

I can't find any rhyme or reason for this... I know that thanks to modelers license, I can build it however I want but I'm left curious about it.

It doesn't seem time-dependent.... later shamu-colored A models didn't have them (the ones I've seen anyhow) while some of the older silver or ADC gray ones did....  conversely, every modern 135R I can see on the ramp at McConnell has the wire.

I'm probably gonna wind up adding the aerial wire, but was just curious if anyone could clue me in?

Edited by Skull Leader
  • Skull Leader changed the title to A question for the KC-135 intelligencia....

Don't know if any or all of these five are the ones you've seen, but no aerial wire appears visible on this very plain A-model at Mildenhall in 1977:

https://www.airhistory.net/photo/283037/57-1494/71494

Nor on this one in 1979:

51815069550_6b8bbd7770_h.jpg

Or on these dated 1980 and 1981 respectively:

https://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Air-Force/Boeing-KC-135A-Stratotanker-717-148/1662077/L

https://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Air-Force/Boeing-KC-135A-Stratotanker-717-148/684630/L

Nor on this later shot of 71494 again:

47495277821_079cf7e904_b.jpg

It doesn't help with your question, and they're Es, but:

Edited by andyf117
On 1/19/2022 at 12:04 PM, Skull Leader said:

After conversing with st0rm on the matter and unable to find definitive answers, I turn to the masses....

I'm building an Arkansas KC-135A (of which, at best, ive found maybe 5 reference photos  of the 189th during their ARW days) and upon doing more research of A models, it seems some had the aerial wire that ran from the tail to the front of the fuselage and some did not.

I can't find any rhyme or reason for this... I know that thanks to modelers license, I can build it however I want but I'm left curious about it.

It doesn't seem time-dependent.... later shamu-colored A models didn't have them (the ones I've seen anyhow) while some of the older silver or ADC gray ones did....  conversely, every modern 135R I can see on the ramp at McConnell has the wire.

I'm probably gonna wind up adding the aerial wire, but was just curious if anyone could clue me in?

The wire you're talking about appears to be a receive only HF antenna. See the link to a pdf for the RC-135. On page 3 it shows all of the unclassified external antennas which includes the receive only cable HF wire. The stinger on the vertical stab is the main HF radio antenna with receive/transmit capabilities. Obviously there's a reason to have a receive only HF antenna wire but I can't find it.

RC-135 Aerodynamics PDF

Cheers,

John

16 hours ago, CF104 said:

The wire you're talking about appears to be a receive only HF antenna. See the link to a pdf for the RC-135. On page 3 it shows all of the unclassified external antennas which includes the receive only cable HF wire. The stinger on the vertical stab is the main HF radio antenna with receive/transmit capabilities. Obviously there's a reason to have a receive only HF antenna wire but I can't find it.

RC-135 Aerodynamics PDF

Cheers,

John

John is correct.  The aerial is a receive only HF aerial for the Chrome Dome airborne alert notification system.  All transmissions were automatically switched through the AN/CRM-114 Discriminator for proper code verification. Previous failures of this system and the fact that larger Minuteman arsenals and better early warning changed the surprise attack calculus obviated the need for airborne alerts.  A final accident in January 1968 ended the Chrome Dome missions altogether.  The equipment became redundant and was superseded by newer digital radio equipment and was removed as airframes went through depot maintenance during the 1980s, although some airframes were not fully modified until the 1990s. Though it was retained on the RC-135 series aircraft as a discrete means for the SAC commander to maintain a "private" real-time channel with the RC-135 crew. HTH! Dutch🤪

Edited by Dutch

All kidding aside with my references to Dr. Strangelove, I just took a lunch time stroll by the flight line and noticed that 3 of the closest 6 KC-135Rs still have the wire aerial from about the mid-point of the tail leading edge to a slightly backward slanted post on the upper starboard fuselage well behind the cockpit.  I didn't note the serials as I had the sun in front of me, but I will now say that it is definitely serial number specific as to which aircraft had the aerial deleted and on which it remained.  Check your photos! 

• 1 year later...

I worked on comm systems on KC-135's and B-52G's at Beale AFB in 1969.  Changed HF antenna coupler at top of KC vertical stabilizer behind the forward-pointing HF antenna probe.  Panel to remove was literally horseshoe over the top of tail.  I was alone at night and barely knew how to operate the high lift (cherry picker). Anyway... I do not recall ever seeing or knowing about a long wire antenna on the KC models there at the time.

Steve M. in California, not registered,