(2022 F-16 Group Build) 1/48 Kinetic F-16B ADF

Time to have some fun! This will be a old school F-16B ADF, however I'm not sure yet what markings I want to dress her in of the set I have here. Tonight I will be doing some basic cutting and cleaning up, more to come! Leaning toward a PR ANG bird but the family model 191st bird looks hot too!

20220122_212816.jpg

20220122_211929.jpg

20220122_212703.jpg

20220122_214035.jpg

20220122_211827.jpg

Edited by B-ONE27
  • B-ONE27 changed the title to (2022 F-16 Group Build) 1/48 Kinetic F-16B ADF

Waiting on my Quinta F-16B cockpit decal set, I'm really excited to use these. Meantime a little work, clean up then paint. Not feeling the many injection marks.

20220124_232831.jpg

Edited by B-ONE27

The problem is the small tabs that stick out the side of the IP and rest on top of the tub sides.  There are recesses in the underside of the shroud for those tabs, but they are far too shallow, and you can’t deepen them much without breaking through the shroud.  Those tabs are what’s keeping the IP from going high enough, and would stop you even if the IP wasn’t already glued to the tub.  One option may be to cut off those tabs, but the real IP has those side tabs.  The other option is to glue a block of plastic to the top of the IP to span the gap.

Edited by Dave Williams
  • 4 weeks later...

Small update, had some time to sit back down and get some work done. I will say though, this kit is fighting me... many fit woes. Was able to wrestle the IP down after a fight with CA, not perfect but will do for my palate. Weather starting to be nice out, so I'm anxious to finish up and get some paint down. Some perfect putty applied today. To be continued...

Resized_20220315_183114.jpg

Resized_20220315_182504.jpg

Resized_20220315_183047 (1).jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of quick pics. Made some progress, almost ready for paint. Thanks all for the comments. The fit of the kit has been a challenge, main reason I'm building slowly. The intake sub assembly is set off to the side being held with CA and clamps...many gaps in fitting...hence it's not being attached in these photos. Hoping to attach this week coming up and possible paint barn.

20220403_175254.jpg

20220403_175716.jpg

20220403_175327.jpg

:gr_eek2: Oh, slats down; nice! Is this build intended to be an in-flight one, B-ONE?

Always fancied building mine the same, with slats down, but I've never quite liked a wheels-up assembly.

Perhaps it might be done that way (slat/flap down and sitting on her legs) while going some maintenance?

Awesome work! You're slowly taming the beast.

Cheers,

Gwen

8 hours ago, Gwen Phoenix said:

:gr_eek2: Oh, slats down; nice! Is this build intended to be an in-flight one, B-ONE?

Always fancied building mine the same, with slats down, but I've never quite liked a wheels-up assembly.

Perhaps it might be done that way (slat/flap down and sitting on her legs) while going some maintenance?

Awesome work! You're slowly taming the beast.

Cheers,

Gwen

Thanks Gwen, yes I'm going wheels down but I guess I'll say the pilot was cycling his flight controls lol...figured I'd try some different pose for my build if the option is there.

14 hours ago, B-ONE27 said:

Thanks Gwen, yes I'm going wheels down but I guess I'll say the pilot was cycling his flight controls lol...figured I'd try some different pose for my build if the option is there.

I'm not an F-16 expert, but for sure the leading and trailing edge flaps would be down for take-off. Will you have it with engine running and pilot inside? If so, that's a perfectly valid pose.

ALF

22 hours ago, habu2 said:

The flight computer automatically lowers the LEF & TEF when the landing gear is extended (and WOW is off).

WOW has always been a semi-ambiguous term for me... Is the 'O' on or off? I've seen it on some types (like the Hawk) as WOnW or WOffW, but usually it's weight ON wheels. In other words, in the Viper, when you drop the gear if the flaps are not down, the FCS drops leading and trailing edge? What happens on the ground, say if the flap switch is in up/auto or whatever it's called in that type? When shut down? Is there an SOP for how the flaps are left on the ground?

ALF

(eager to learn more about this great little fighter)

On 4/6/2022 at 11:48 AM, habu2 said:

For F-16 WOW is Weight ON Wheels

I'll have to dig out my Dash-1 for the exact scheduling but IIRC parked/stopped position of LEF is 2 deg  up 

edit see the graphic in this thread:

https://www.f-16.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=28990

Thanks gents, good information to know.  I'm going to wrap up the last attachment of parts this weekend and get some paint laid down...now to decide what I want to hang from her. Any suggestions? I know family model B's really didn't stand alert in ADF units tasked with NORAD duties.