(2022 F-16 Group Build) 1/48 Kinetic F-16B ADF

On 4/6/2022 at 11:48 AM, habu2 said:

For F-16 WOW is Weight ON Wheels

I'll have to dig out my Dash-1 for the exact scheduling but IIRC parked/stopped position of LEF is 2 deg  up 

edit see the graphic in this thread:

https://www.f-16.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=28990

Great info in that graphic. Does it also mean that if the engine is shut down, the trailing edge flap remains at 20 degrees down? When the hydraulics bleed off, what happens to the controls? Here's a shot I took at the airshow in Bagotville in 2009. TEF are at 20 down, but it looks like the ailerons don't bleed down with hydraulic pressure gone. In many other power-off shots, though, the TEF are often up, flush with the wing.

yNFx8rH.jpg

ALF

First off, F-16s don't have separate flaps & ailerons. There is an inboard trailing edge flap (TEF) and the outboard trailing edge of the wing is fixed.  The leading edge flap (LEF) is essentially full span.  The TEF is a "flaperon" (performing both flap and aileron functions) and the FCS drives the LEF, TEF & HStabs (& rudder) to accomplish pitch & roll.

Edited by habu2
2 hours ago, habu2 said:

First off, F-16s don't have separate flaps & ailerons. There is an inboard trailing edge flap (TEF) and the outboard trailing edge of the wing is fixed.  The leading edge flap (LEF) is essentially full span.  The TEF is a "flaperon" (performing both flap and aileron functions) and the FCS drives the LEF, TEF & HStabs (& rudder) to accomplish pitch & roll.

I just learned something new again! I really need to build more F-16 models. Great info. I also think that video is very smart. Lots of practice to get that timing down. Demo teams can be very impressive.

ALF

Oops... :doh: It seems like someone has opened a big can of worms with regard to the control surfaces on the wings of the Vipers. Apologies.

Habu, would it be plausible for the LEFs and TEFs to be displayed down while going through maintenance, then?

Cheers,

Gwen

10 minutes ago, Gwen Phoenix said:

Oops... :doh: It seems like someone has opened a big can of worms with regard to the control surfaces on the wings of the Vipers. Apologies.

Habu, would it be plausible for the LEFs and TEFs to be displayed down while going through maintenance, then?

Cheers,

Gwen

I think we're BOTH guilty there, Gwen. My shoulders are capable of taking it!

ALF

6 minutes ago, ALF18 said:

I think we're BOTH guilty there, Gwen.

Yep, guilty as charge, Alf. 

7 minutes ago, ALF18 said:

My shoulders are capable of taking it!

Oh? Well, then you may as well take it all, as your shoulders must be stronger than mine? 😆

Really fancy building my Viper with everything hanging down.

Thanks, Alf.

Cheers,

Gwen

• 1 month later...

Oh, so nice, B-One! Some progress on this build.

She's looking good so far. There seems to be a bit of warpage on the starboard wing slat? Can't wait to see some black primer on her.

My Kinetic 1/48 F-16A/B (Adversary) kit is swimming all the way down here from Hong Kong. It'll be a two-seat bird in Chilean markings.

Cheers,

Gwen

• 1 month later...

A couple of quick pics as I'm almost at the finish line. Starting some black base marbling today..a few pylons and stores and centerline bag are off to the side and will get same treatment.  Weather permitting this weekend some final paint, ready to wrap this up.

20220711_170516.jpg

20220711_170457.jpg

Coming along awesome, B-ONE!

I ordered one of these kits, which is to arrive next month. In the meantime, I came across a Hasegawa 1/48 F-16B+ kit at such a bargain price on the local online market place two weeks ago I just could but getting it. It was so cheap I thought it was a scam at first. Very seldom do you see a kit like these pop up on an online auction site and so dirty cheap! I was almost embarrased about purchasing it. Think the seller didn't know what he was doing?

The Hasegawa kit is alright, but it lacks the detail the Kinetic kit has (intake trunking, cockpit and landing gear bays). Exhausts are meh on both kits, I guess. 

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Gwen

46 minutes ago, Gwen Phoenix said:

Coming along awesome, B-ONE!

I ordered one of these kits, which is to arrive next month. In the meantime, I came across a Hasegawa 1/48 F-16B+ kit at such a bargain price on the local online market place two weeks ago I just could but getting it. It was so cheap I thought it was a scam at first. Very seldom do you see a kit like these pop up on an online auction site and so dirty cheap! I was almost embarrased about purchasing it. Think the seller didn't know what he was doing?

The Hasegawa kit is alright, but it lacks the detail the Kinetic kit has (intake trunking, cockpit and landing gear bays). Exhausts are meh on both kits, I guess. 

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Gwen

Thanks Gwen, hopefully your kit won't come as warped as mine. As you pointed out the starboard wing has noticeable warping which I attempted to address with hot water but to no avail. This is my first Kinetic F-16 and I really fancy the two seat family models but it has been bear of a struggle with fit woes. Hasegawas' are good and I too used to love em but they are definitely showing their age and just don't look the part to me anymore. I'm eager to finish this one out and I think it will look good once painted up!

A couple quick pictures after painting gunship, got some overspray areas and spider webbing that need some clean up...thinking this happened as a result of a old bottle of model master 36118. Hopefully some light wet sanding will smooth out grains. Looking to add L. Ghost and be donzo...this one is fighting me to the end

20220717_152124.jpg

20220717_152037.jpg

20220717_152631.jpg

Edited by B-ONE27

:woot.gif: Oh-la-la... I like it a lot!

I'm getting the KASL parapack tail for my Hasegawa kit. I take it that the Kinetic kits bring this tail, already?

Exactly how old is this bottle of Model Master 36118, B-ONE? I've had unoppened bottles stored for 20+ years now, the lacquer metallic buffing stuff.

They still look okay when I shake them; no pigment settled on the bottom. I'm afraid they're going to vanish the minute I open them up?

Oh, well...

Cheers,

Gwen  

Over the weekend I sprayed up a comparison card of some grays in different brands I had around. The FS36375 Model Master reminded me why I don't really miss using MM. It was a previously used bottle from 2012 that sat for at least 5 years and had settled somewhat and the cap liner pealed apart when I opened it. I thought I got it thoroughly mixed and thinned, but it sprayed just like what @B-ONE27 got above and the airbrush kept wanting to clog.

On 7/18/2022 at 11:16 AM, Gwen Phoenix said:

:woot.gif: Oh-la-la... I like it a lot!

I'm getting the KASL parapack tail for my Hasegawa kit. I take it that the Kinetic kits bring this tail, already?

Exactly how old is this bottle of Model Master 36118, B-ONE? I've had unoppened bottles stored for 20+ years now, the lacquer metallic buffing stuff.

They still look okay when I shake them; no pigment settled on the bottom. I'm afraid they're going to vanish the minute I open them up?

Oh, well...

Cheers,

Gwen  

Gwen,

Thank you, I'm pushing this one to complete. Got the paint issue smooth out so it's on to next color and then landing gear/load out. Yeah I've had this bottle of GG for about the same time as you. Think I'm going to have to face the music and switch to some different  brands now that MM is no longer...I'm thinking Tamiya and Gunze. BTW, Yes this kit rendition does come with the extended brake chute tail. 

On 7/18/2022 at 3:53 PM, Crash Test Dummy said:

Over the weekend I sprayed up a comparison card of some grays in different brands I had around. The FS36375 Model Master reminded me why I don't really miss using MM. It was a previously used bottle from 2012 that sat for at least 5 years and had settled somewhat and the cap liner pealed apart when I opened it. I thought I got it thoroughly mixed and thinned, but it sprayed just like what @B-ONE27 got above and the airbrush kept wanting to clog.

Yup, that's exactly what my airbrush kept doing. Guess it didn't help that is very humid outside too 🤔

• 4 weeks later...

Final paint put down today, finish line is in sight. I have some touch up paint areas to tend to and bang seats need some finishing. Here's a few pics before glosscoat and decals this week. Not too happy with how the Pratt motor came out, I'm thinking about using the AK brush aluminum. 

20220815_193726.jpg

20220815_193750.jpg

20220815_193925.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

:gr_eek2: Looking awesome, B-One! Been learning a lot about Vipers on this forum as of late. Hadn't it been for @scotthldr, I would have put an F-16C parapack tail on my Viper AM/MLU block 15 and viceversa. Such a noob... :rolleyes: 

These kits scream for an aftermarket nozzle, don't they? Endowing her with some legs soon?

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Gwen

Brake para packs were also found on F-16A/B MLU’s of the Netherlands and Norwegian Air Forces and subsequently Jordanian examples, although they were of different dimensions to those on the C/D.

• 1 month later...

Time to wrap this build up and get it back on track! I've run into one disaster after the next.  Original plans of MIANG decals got canned due to my Expert Choice sheet shattering upon entering water-almost shelfed the build because of this. Moved on to my backup plan-PRANG decals, only for them to not appear to match('PR' lettering black not grey on decal)sooooo I moved on and decided some old school markings from my home state...and lo and behold, had the 'check ' arrow decal shattered. I won't even get into the AQM-37 ughhh. This build has fought me every step!!! I'll take some better pictures tomorrow. 

PXL_20221020_031624563.jpg

Edited by B-ONE27
10 hours ago, B-ONE27 said:

Time to wrap this build up and get it back on track! I've run into one disaster after the next.  Original plans of MIANG decals got canned due to my Expert Choice sheet shattering upon entering water-almost shelfed the build because of this. Moved on to my backup plan-PRANG decals, only for them to not appear to match('PR' lettering black not grey on decal)sooooo I moved on and decided some old school markings from my home state...and lo and behold, had the 'check ' arrow decal shattered. I won't even get into the AQM-37 ughhh. This build has fought me every step!!! I'll take some better pictures tomorrow. 

PXL_20221020_031624563.jpg

Bummer, wish I knew as I ended up with extra MIANG decals and could have sent them to you.  I used a lot of microscale decal solution to keep them from shattering.