1/72 Matchbox F-4K Phantom

FP3-Copy.jpg

This is Phantom FG1 XV569/013 of 892 Squadron, Royal Navy in autumn 1969.  She bears the 'R' on the fin denoting she belongs with HMS Ark Royal but also the markings on her rear fuselage 'USS Saratoga'.  That's because, before embarking on Ark Royal, XV569 was one of 4 RN Phantoms that spent time in the Med. on the Saratoga practicing deck landings and takeoffs.   Apparently the extra power of the Spey engines, coupled with them being fitted with the exhausts pointing more downward, buckled Saratoga's deck!  XV569 flew then in this configuration: no pylons except the centreline one carrying the large drop tank.   There's video of this event on YouTube.

This is the first release of the Matchbox kit modified with a resin radome cast from the, somewhat, corrected later release and a spare Fujimi canopy fitted.  The exhaust cans are from the Aeroclub set for the Matchbox kit. The decals are a mix of Fujimi (their 'Royal Navy' decal was visibly too big), Matchbox and an ancient Almarks sheet.  The small Rolls Royce badges are from a Liveries Unlimited sheet for airliner engines.  The Fujimi were hardest to use and there's some silvering evident despite glossing and solvents!  I didn't do the stencils  - not my thing.   If you look closely you may notice the '013' on the port nose is slightly too large.  That came from the Almark sheet but was all I had to make up those numbers.  The starboard one is from the Matchbox sheet but, sometime in the distant past, I had removed one of the sets of '013'.  Hence the oversize Almarks on the port side.   I've left her pretty glossy as she was less than a year old then and this was her first time shipboard.

FP2 (Copy).jpg

FS1 (Copy).jpg

P1 (Copy).jpg

RS2 (Copy).jpg

S2(Copy).jpg

David

Edited by dwomby
  • 3 months later...

Hi David, Nice Work on your Matchbox Phantom!!  Great finish & livery on an old kit.  I was just saying I want to do my 2-seat Matchbox Viggen now....... so viewing your Phantom II is an inspiration of what can be done with this ancient manufacturers' kits.  Friendliest regards, John

1 hour ago, floridaplastic said:

Hi David, Nice Work on your Matchbox Phantom!!  Great finish & livery on an old kit.  I was just saying I want to do my 2-seat Matchbox Viggen now....... so viewing your Phantom II is an inspiration of what can be done with this ancient manufacturers' kits.  Friendliest regards, John

Thanks, John.   I like old kits - simpler than most of the new stuff!   Go for it with the Viggen.

David