SBARC - if you need help

@SBARC

Just tried to contact you to offer to help with deleting the posts from the ongoing 'spam attack' - but when I tried to send, I got a "SBARC cannot receive messages" message...

....I have the free time available if you need someone either to assist or delegate to with regard to removing all the offending posts...

Andy

Yeah, there was a bunch . Still working on them. 

My big question, how the heck am I the guy that gets rid of these things? Did I miss a meeting or something?

And I can not get a hold of Steve either for the F-16 Group build activation.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Steve, get back here and add a couple more moderators. There was HUNDREDS of spams I had to get rid of.

I am no computer expert.

When I posted, the attack was still coming after more than six hours, from about three or four different accounts, and in one or two cases had already filled as many as eight pages - I'm no computer expert either, but knowing of Steve's limited availability, thought maybe I could help if needed...

....seems you've taken care of it in the meantime :thumbsup:, but my offer still stands in case of future similar occurrences - a quick Google search revealed that particular brand of Korean spam has been foisted on dozens of sites and forums around the world over the past six months...

Edited by andyf117

I don’t get the point of the multiple spam posts.  It seems like a lame DoS attack.  No one is going to click on anything, so it’s not to advertise any products.  It’s like the only purpose is harassment.

Maybe the right thing to do is to block new signups for a week or two, and hope they move on to some other site to harass.

13 hours ago, phantom said:

Thanks guys. I'm  not even sure how I became a mod. Guess I just have been around a long time.

From the 'Group Build' part of your Mod 'title', I'm guessing you volunteered to help run one or more of those at some point...

5 hours ago, markiii said:

I notice the posts seem to be confined to the general section.

Judging by the scattered posting pattern, frequency, and multiple usernames - a few here, and a few or a lot there (12 posts in this section, 14 pages and counting in Forum FAQ), made anything from one to fifteen or more minutes apart, they also appear to be manual inputs, rather than automated...

....meaning somewhere in SEA there are a bunch of people huddled over their computers, signing up to sites like this, and copying and pasting their spam. If it is Korean in origin, it's starting late morning there, and continuing into the early evening at least - it's 18:18 in Seoul as I type this, and the posts are still coming 8 hours after the first...

Edited by andyf117
10 minutes ago, phantom said:

What a waste of time. Spaming in a language very few people on this site can read.

Well, there is more time off my life wasted.

Your time and effort is appreciated, certainly not wasted...