1/144 Minicraft/Entex B-1A (done as ship #2, the B-1B test aircraft)

I started work on this build in 2020 and finished the final clear coat about 10 months ago. This is the Minicraft/Entex/G Mark B-1A kit in 1/144 scale. This kit and the smaller 1/280ish "Sky Giants" B-1 from Academy are the only proper B-1A kits done in any scale as far as I know with the supersonic cruise intakes, wing gloves and the escape capsule.

This model represents B-1A #74-0159, which was the second B-1 built and flown after it was used as a static test airframe. When the B-1 program was restarted by the Reagan administration in 1981, this aircraft and #76-0174 (the fourth B-1 prototype) were selected as flight test aircraft due to the low flight time on their airframes. Ship #2 became the "prototype" B-1B with several of its internal systems modified to B-1B specifications and ship #4 (0174) became the avionics/ECM testbed. Externally, Ship #2 was still a B-1A on the outside maintaining its original airframe features. The only real visible change was the mounting of a blade antenna at the top of the tail based on the system intended for the B-1B. 

This build underwent a few minor modifications. Most of the work was done around the wing gloves to get them to droop properly when the wings are extended. I also made an attempt to represent the mechanical wing fence/airframe seal which closes down over the wing openings as the wing extends. At high speed, these areas act as a wing fence. On the production B-1Bs they were replaced by an inflating bag system based on the Panavia Tornado design. The minor modification to the tail was done with strip styrene sanded to shape.

The escape capsule is already present in the Entex kit, but its fit is not the greatest. After blending in its shape better, I used thin Aizu brand yellow tape to help more clearly define the separation border. I used sheet styrene cut and sanded to shape to represent the "elephant ears" control surfaces that spring out when the capsule ejects. Minor mods were also done to the engine intake fronts. I also partially sawed the radome off on the bottom and reglued it with a better droop thanks to the kerf of the razor saw blade I used. The large nose boom on the front (seen on B-1s #1 and #2 only) came from an AMT/Ertl Naboo Starfighter engine spike. Thanks to a short metal rod, I can pull the probe off for transport and storage without breaking. 

The paintjob represents ship #2 from early in the B-1A program with its red white and blue tail art. I used a combination of kit decals (for the insignias and USAF titles) and markings from the Panda and Bandai "B-1 Test Program" kits. The kits themselves are actually B-1Bs, but their decal sheets contained the proper B-1A tail art and rescue markings. Most of the Panda decals applied fine, but I had problems with decals breaking up during application and applying the tail markings turned out to be a disaster (i.e. do NOT try to mask over a decal, no matter how "low tack" the tape you are using might be) necessitating the need for me to get the Dragon version of the kit. The artwork layout in the two kits are identical, but the Dragon decals are much better quality and a little better in some of their colorings.

Overall this was a fun model to do. I would also like to do a model of #76-0174 which is on display at the SAC Museum in Ashland, NE. But a model of that will require the nose to be kitbashed from a different kit as it had ejection seats instead of the escape capsule. And the SIOP camouflaged version of that plane also had a large extended leading edge tail spine that housed sensors from its unique test ECM avionics. 

1117905647_EntexB-11.thumb.jpg.20eb040d80a6b8893793ccce51523714.jpg

You can just make out one of the ejection capsule fins above the "Air" in US Air Force. The white stripe on the nose and black stripe on the fuselage are camera reference targets.

434683420_EntexB-12.thumb.jpg.9557ee49bef6ceb55c39fa8acd436fc2.jpg

The tail and wing glove modifications are visible here.

734753009_EntexB-13.thumb.jpg.8db1d746965d11df0cf47758c6e0a576.jpg

Flash on!

1011715644_EntexB-14.thumb.jpg.879ab4b9cb2601a15b7e7b0599f9414b.jpg

Main body color used was Tamiya Pure White sprayed over Fine White Primer. I gave the model a flat coat after the decals were applied. Next time I do one, I may go semi-gloss instead just to give the completed model a slight sheen. Weathering was kept to a minimum partly because the Entex kit doesn't have a lot of recessed panel lines, just the major control surface and gear door splits. I now have a Bone White "BONE".

Edited by Jay Chladek

Jay! Kudos!  Another beautiful build of an important developmental airframe.  I like the way you improved the basic kit and cross-kitted the decals for the correct scheme on the correct airframe.  Great work!  K/r, Dutch 

Edited by Dutch
6 hours ago, Gator52 said:

Looks great Jay; this must be the same model I admired at the Fort Crook show last summer-

Chris

thumbnail-IMG-3848.jpg

Yup, that's my baby all right. Glad you had a chance to check it out in person. I'll probably bring it to KC for the upcoming show in March. Not a perfect build by any stretch, but a fun one.

Thanks for the great response guys. I plan to do a lot more testbeds and prototype airframes in the not too distant future. 

Edited by Jay Chladek