Spangdahlem RB-66B decals question (Italeri 1375)

7 hours ago, BillS said:

EXCEPTIONAL video! Makes me proud of the USAF of yore and the great relationship with Britain. I don't think the Brits know how many Anglophiles were created during their assignments to Blighty, me included! And what a great resource this video is for modelers!

I know, that video is such a gem. I love seeing the 494th hosted the local English kids, since that was my dad's beloved squadron. Also, bring back orange flight suits!

4 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

I dont know exactly what that marking means, there is nothing in the notes I have about it...

It seems going by the footage the unit markings changed from a stripe on the engines to the fin top and then after that at some point they also got the marking with the red diamond.

There is no mention of it as a unit marking at all, and I have no photos of the aircraft while they were at Bruntingthorpe and Chelveston.

They had enough RB-66Bs in the UK to map Europe ten times over every year!!!

Having looked again I am confident that option B is a jet that was seen at Alconbury.

I believe the marking at the base of the vertical stabilizer is a unit citation ribbon, but I'm not sure which one.

40 minutes ago, Susaschka said:

Thanks for pointing that out! I will replace the black decals for olive drab on my bird.

Do you think the same applies to the brown anti glare decal in front of the cockpit and should this also be olive drab?

Just to clarify because the version designations (A/B/C) in the instructions and the box aren't the same:

Spangdahlem version:                                                                                                                   Alconbury version:

image.png.a4d75cc60139f0d9da142bd8f06c1ec2.png                                  image.png.3311c21baec1dcd067a167f24cd48f75.png

Looking at the video, all the RB-66s are shown with an olive drab anti-glare panel in front of the cockpit. Those were usually factory-applied, so I assume they were that color on all RB-66s. But that's just my personal judgement call.

And you're right, the instructions aren't correct, but what you've identified here appear to be the correct schemes for Spangdahlem and Alconbury.

7 hours ago, latormentabritanica said:

I know, that video is such a gem. I love seeing the 494th hosted the local English kids, since that was my dad's beloved squadron. Also, bring back orange flight suits!

I believe the marking at the base of the vertical stabilizer is a unit citation ribbon, but I'm not sure which one.

Looking at the video, all the RB-66s are shown with an olive drab anti-glare panel in front of the cockpit. Those were usually factory-applied, so I assume they were that color on all RB-66s. But that's just my personal judgement call.

And you're right, the instructions aren't correct, but what you've identified here appear to be the correct schemes for Spangdahlem and Alconbury.

No the unit citation is a blue bar with red dots on it, thats for certain. 

On 7/30/2022 at 10:01 AM, latormentabritanica said:

It took some time figuring it out, but I'm happy it is sorted now.

I also bought a second kit with the Wolfpack WP72-093 Jammin' decals, so I can build the below Spangdahlem version too:

image.png.c448ba826216736c798dcb04e2760ff4.png

Edited by Susaschka
typo