I finished up the bench top for the spray booth bench. The top is melamine with a maple edge. Next step is to get the piece of wood made for the window opening, which I will only install when using the booth.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7493(1).JPG

The booth and bench are pretty much finished. I need to make a wood insert, with a dryer vent exhaust, for a window so I can just install it when I want to paint. Then I can "test" the booth and finalize my baffle inserts. I'll be adding a piece of wood to the bench bottom at some point and also making a new upper front valance panel since I can't use my speed control with this fan and, that empty blue box really bugs me. Very happy with how everything came out and, another long overdue project wrapped up.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7495.JPG

Edited by A-10 LOADER
1 hour ago, habu2 said:

How about filling that hole with a 110v outlet plug?  Convenient place to plug in a phone charger, portable vacuum cleaner.....

Thought about that but, not really necessary. The room it's going to live in has plenty of outlets.

Steve

• 2 months later...

The booth is finally in it's space now. I made a new insert, out of 1/2" plywood and, added the vent. Now I can get the booth baffles finalized, with the help of a friend and, wrap up this project.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7499.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7500.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7501.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7502.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7503.JPG

28 minutes ago, Scott Smith said:

Sweet!  No more excuses. Get busy painting now.   I’m loving mine. 

I still need to finish up some woodworking projects before I can get back to the bench. It will be nice to not have to work my painting around the weather though.

Steve

P.S. I'd like to see what you built.

Edited by A-10 LOADER
On 2/26/2022 at 7:18 PM, habu2 said:

Airflow is proportional to pressure drop.  Your design doesn't have a constant pressure drop across the filtered area, the pressure drop is greatest at the rear and goes to near zero at the front of the filter.  This is demonstrated by the airflow results you observed.  (this is not a criticism of your design)  To equalize airflow across the filter you need to increase flow resistance where pressure drop is greatest and have less flow resistance where pressure drop is low.  Your filter has an airflow resistance that is rated in pressure drop per unit area, so by having less filtered area at the back and more area at the front you can equalize flow rate. (electrical analogy: think of pressure drop as voltage, airflow as current, and filter area as a resistor)

In English: Make a mask to control airflow rates.  Take a piece of cardboard the size of your filter(s) and cut holes in it, a small one at the back and a larger one at the front. If you want airflow in the middle of the filter cut a medium size hole there.  You can have several different size holes from front to back.  The idea is that filtered area of each hole gets proportionally larger as they are farther from the back. Get some stick incense, light it and hold it near the different sized holes while the fan is running to judge the airflow rate through that hole.  This will be an iterative process, and you may go through several pieces of cardboard (and incense).  If you need more airflow cut a larger hole.  If you need less airflow use tape to block off the hole.  Start with a single row of holes until you figure this out, then you can cut more holes by repeating the pattern left/right across the filter.  The holes can be circles or slots (or stars or octagons or....) what is important is the size (area) of the hole.  And remember, the area of a circle is proportional to the square of the diameter of the hole. For a given pressure drop a 2" dia hole will flow 4x as much as a 1" dia hole.  Once you finalize your design you can cut a clean "master" mask for your booth.

Try this before you buy a bigger fan.  You may find that, with reduced filter area, your current fan will be adequate. Hope this helps.

Habu2,

Here are the latest numbers, using a digital anemometer, on my booth. I've since replaced the 4 inch duct with 6 inch. I'd like your thoughts please since all this means nothing to me.

Steve

On 8/11/2022 at 9:24 AM, A-10 LOADER said:

Habu2,

Here are the latest numbers, using a digital anemometer, on my booth. I've since replaced the 4 inch duct with 6 inch. I'd like your thoughts please since all this means nothing to me.

Steve

I don't see any numbers ???

I had an idea and wanted to see what would happen if I blocked off one side at a time and see what the measurements were then. I cut a piece of cardboard and this was the result. The "circled" numbers were the more consistent ones.

After testing the booth it performed very well. Good draw, no smell and, the lighting works out well also. Best part of all this is no more trips out to the garage. Now to decide on my next build ???

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7508.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

(edited)_IMG_7509.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Edited by A-10 LOADER