1/100 Entex Air Force One 707 build

Beating this old girl into submission. This kit showed up at my house with the pax windows glued in and the fuselage halves shattered into seven pieces. Tamiya Extra Thin saved the day, plus the breaks had little to no distortions to them. If the pax windows had not been glued in, I would have filled them with Solarez UV resin, and masked. The cockpit windscreens were damaged and could not be treated back to clear finishes, so filler was used to blend them into the fuselage halves.

0117221855.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

The kit goes together with some effort. I found after getting the seven fuselage parts glued back together, it was more of a challenge to get the halves together fully aligned. I had to do some creative scratch building to cover the damaged flaws.

0202220936.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

The taxi lights positions were ground down to take railroad lenses. I then covered them with Solarez UV resin, cured it with their product UV light, then sanded the Taxi light lens to the shape of the leading edge and polished it back to a clear finish. A square piece of masking the shape of the lens will cover the lenses during painting to create the Taxi light ports.

0202220936b.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Solarez was also used at the nav light stations with Doming Resin. After curing, they are sanded back to the shape of the wingtip, then polished. Tamiya clear red and clear blue (yes BLUE) were applied in thin layers, then buffed to a smooth finish. Ready to be masked before painting. Sorry for the crappy pic.

0202220936a.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

This Air Force One kit will be made into the subject of one of my favorite movies growing up, thanks to Vintage Flyers Decals-n-Masks.

0202221013.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Edited by Vidar_710
  • 4 months later...

There is no inner surface to the intakes - the engine fans don't even touch the inner surface of the intakes which leaves an ugly gap. I'm using Evergreen's 7/16" styrene tubing to detail the intake surface.

0623221445_HDR.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Carving and trimming had to be done to both the kit parts and the tubing to get things to fit properly.

Shaping and thinning the styrene tube to fit the intake.

0624221133_HDR_3

Removing material inside the intake just behind the intake lip to receive the tube.

0624221134_2.jpg?width=303&height=370&fi

Tweak them till they fit.

0624221132a_HDR_2

Light Grey near the fan with medium grey forward; however, the leading edge will be a bare metal de-icing surface.

0701221616_HDR.jpg?width=590&height=370&

Next, to blend the terrible mis-matched fit of the pylons to the wings so they blend together.

Tracy

• 2 weeks later...

The engines have been cemented to the wings. There was a LOT of tweaking to both the wings and the pylons to get them to fit properly. This was as close as I could get prior to filling any gaps. I believe I'll achieve a smooth transition from here between the wings and pylons with filler.

0714221432b

0714221432a

Pics to come after the filling, sanding, and polishing is done to prepare for a bare metal finish.

Tracy

The Smooth On Sculpting Dough is perfect for filling large and small gaps with no shrinking issues. It can be manipulated with water. It takes about 4 hours to fully cure, then sands and polishes like a dream.

The Tail's HF antenna and pylons are sculpted in...

0715220118_HDR

Left to cure over night, they are sanded then polished to a smooth finish... Ready for a metal finish.

0715221008a

Double checking the engines hang perpendicular to the ground, NOT the wing. This was one of the challenging changes to the kit.

0715221017_2(1)

A good IPA bath, then Black Primer.

Tracy

Edited by Vidar_710

Awesome!  Thanks, Tracy!   I'm reading the description -- it says it's so lightweight it floats in water.   It can be sanded, drilled, tapped, routered.  Looks like it feathers really nicely, too.   Have you tried scribing on it?   There's a sculpting store around me that has it in stock -- gotta give it a try.

VHF Antennas were hand cut from sheet styrene and thinned to scale are cemented into position.

0715222352a_2

Hey CJ... This 1/100 707 is the warmup to the 1/100 SCA/Shuttle project.  😉

Tracy

Edited by Vidar_710

Mr Black Finishing Surfacer 1500 is applied. Not too many flaws to fix. Glad all the effort paid off.

0721220120_HDR

0721220120a_HDR

Engine pylons feathered in very nicely!

0721220120b_HDR

Fix the flaws, then next id the gloss black coat for a bare metal finish.

Tracy

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Waiting for some materials/tools for the F-16XL project, so I pulled this off the shelf. Over time, some seam shadows popped up, so taking the opportunity to square them away. I did more shaping of the clear UV resin taxi light lenses into the leading edge, then polished them back out before re-masking them.

0310230907a_HDR~2

0310230907_HDR~2

Will start masking off the Corogard panels to prepare for the metal finish of the leading, trailing, and bottom surfaces of the wings. The PAC blisters will be painted Boeing Grey.

Tracy

Edited by Vidar_710