spam spam spam spam spam baked beans and spam

27 minutes ago, phantom said:

Taking WAY too much of my time. Was almost late for real work this morning.

Taking it way to seriously.
If its there for 12 hours or 24 it makes little difference, we can all read past it. Dont make yourself late for work for that.

Its odd this place only has 1 admin to oversee such matters.

I don't know how/if a spambot determines how long to spam a site but, if it can check hits/views on the spam posts, please everyone STOP opening any of these spam posts, it may only encourage the spambots to continue.

14 hours ago, Da SWO said:

I add the spam users to my ignore list.  Nothing shows while we wait for mods to delete.

How does that work?  It looks like going into your account and setting ignored users requires you to type in each user to ignore them, and then all ignoring them does is replace the body of their post with a message saying you’re ignoring that user.  You still see the post titles in new content searches and in the list of posts when you open specific forums.

Has anyone had any actual contact with Steve about this?  I’m aware that he posted he has life issues that he’s working through, but this can’t continue and something has to be done.  It’s unfair to keep expecting Phantom or any other mod to spend their time each and every day cleaning out hundreds of spam postings.

If tests can’t be added for new members, maybe the best option would be to stop accepting new forum members temporarily.  I can’t imagine there are too many real members joining each day, and with all the spam, I don’t think they would even want to.  Hopefully the spammers will give up and move on if they can’t create new accounts every day.

3 hours ago, Kurt H. said:

I wish I could help out ... Can I apply to be an emergency moderator?

That's basically the offer I made a week ago, when the spamming started - the problem is, if only Steve can appoint mods, and no-one can contact him...

....meanwhile, we have to rely on @phantom to keep up the great and much appreciated job he's been doing - and hope he doesn't lose it, and SNAP!!!

Edited by andyf117

I think both  Dave Williams and Kurt H. might actually be moderators already 🤔 They have the same blue & white shield logo under their avatar as phantom. If you hover your mouse pointer over the logo a pop-up says ' x is a moderator' If anyone has the same logo it may be worth checking to see if you do have the ability to delete posts or restrict posting (also, if you click the 'Staff' link at the top of the page it'll give you a list of moderators). If anyone on that list could check and help out that would definitely ease the workload on phantom.

Anyone else remember the 'glitch' where we all became moderators for a little while? I think it was just under two years ago after a forum software update; these idiots wouldn't have had a chance to get their (clown) feet in the door. 😜

Very good points made above - there are over 150 names showing as moderators on that 'Staff' list, and although many haven't been active for a long time, a lot still are, and have logged in since the spamming started, so have probably seen some of it...

....I'd suggest that those labelled 'Group Build' mods should have the same ability to delete posts - presumably in order to manage the GBs with which they were associated - as @phantom , whom I suspect would be happy to give quick tutorials to any who can help him deal with the problem!

Edited by andyf117

I have that shield also that says I'm a Mod but I don't see any new features or anything. 

I remember when I was a GB Mod I could edit anyone's post in the GB that I wanted But that was the only place.

Edited by Spectre711
1 hour ago, Wild Weasel V said:

I think both  Dave Williams and Kurt H. might actually be moderators already 🤔 They have the same blue & white shield logo under their avatar as phantom. If you hover your mouse pointer over the logo a pop-up says ' x is a moderator' If anyone has the same logo it may be worth checking to see if you do have the ability to delete posts or restrict posting (also, if you click the 'Staff' link at the top of the page it'll give you a list of moderators). If anyone on that list could check and help out that would definitely ease the workload on phantom.

Anyone else remember the 'glitch' where we all became moderators for a little while? I think it was just under two years ago after a forum software update; these idiots wouldn't have had a chance to get their (clown) feet in the door. 😜

I think I was just a GB mod for a GB long ago.  I don’t have ability to delete any posts or delete accounts or anything.

1 hour ago, Spectre711 said:

I have that shield also that says I'm a Mod but I don't see any new features or anything. 

I remember when I was a GB Mod I could edit anyone's post in the GB that I wanted But that was the only place.

Try them out next time you see spam. I was never told I had the ability, it was just there one day.

2 hours ago, andyf117 said:

Very good points made above - there are over 150 names showing as moderators on that 'Staff' list, and although many haven't been active for a long time, a lot still are, and have logged in since the spamming started, so have probably seen some of it...

....I'd suggest that those labelled 'Group Build' mods should have the same ability to delete posts - presumably in order to deal to manage the GBs with which they were associated - as @phantom , whom I suspect would be happy to give quick tutorials to any who can help him deal with the problem!

Tutorial!!! I wish someone would tell ME how to do this stuff!!

Kurt, I think we are some of the few that ever finish (certainly more then one) in any GBs. I sure would vote for you and the other guys who volunteered.

I really hope Steve is ok, and gets back here. I am going on vacation soon for a couple weeks and wont have internet. We need more moderators.

13 hours ago, phantom said:

Kurt, I think we are some of the few that ever finish (certainly more then one) in any GBs. I sure would vote for you and the other guys who volunteered.

I really hope Steve is ok, and gets back here. I am going on vacation soon for a couple weeks and wont have internet. We need more moderators.

Most of all I hope he is OK.  We all know that he is in a challenging circumstance. I appreciate your support Phantom.