F14 A CONVERTED IN TO B

The title of the thread asks how to convert a F-14A to a F-14B but the OP asks how to convert an F-14A+ to an F-14B, so which one is it.

OP - if you have an F-14A+ then you have an F-14B, though an early one. If you have an F-14A, then we need to know if you want to do an early Bravo or a late Brave. If it's an early Bravo you want then all you need is the exhausts, engine shrouds and aft engine fairings, if you have an early F-14A (no familiar with the Tamiya F-14A) and want a late Bravo then you are going to need a little bit more.

2 hours ago, Solo said:

So if I have Tamiya F-14A late and want to make late B, I need only D exhaust plus shrouds and fairings? Nothing more?

The late A kit includes the GE shrouds (from the F-14D TARPS sprue).  All that's missing are the GE nozzles (lots of AM options), correct pilot instrument panel, and the sparrowhawk HUD (for very late Bs)  Phase hanger makes the correct front instrument panel w/sparrowhawk.  Otherwise, the fightertown decal set for the small details, ordinance, etc has the correct decal for the B pilot panel.

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/tam/pages/tam_61122_parts1.shtml

5 hours ago, Solo said:

So if I have Tamiya F-14A late and want to make late B, I need only D exhaust plus shrouds and fairings? Nothing more?

Unless you want the PTID, all you need is the engine exhaust, shrouds and fairings.....and if you want to be totally accurate, the fan blade front also since the F-110 had a different bullet and number of fan bladed (32 for a F110 verse 28 for a TF30).

If you guys have the Tamiya kit # 61122, you have everything in the box you need to build a B model except for exhaust nozzles and, like already stated, fan blade fronts to be super accurate. Tamiya gives you the correct "bullet" for the F-110 but, only 28 blades, if you care that much.

The SparrowHawk HUD is a totally different animal, not all F-14B's had them. It was squadron and timeframe specific and, didn't hit the fleet until 2002-2003. I believe this was part of the F-14B "UPGRADE" so again, very specific. Phase Hanger Resin makes the front coaming with the SparrowHawk HUD.

Steve

On 2/4/2022 at 4:38 PM, GW8345 said:

The title of the thread asks how to convert a F-14A to a F-14B but the OP asks how to convert an F-14A+ to an F-14B, so which one is it.

OP - if you have an F-14A+ then you have an F-14B, though an early one. If you have an F-14A, then we need to know if you want to do an early Bravo or a late Brave. If it's an early Bravo you want then all you need is the exhausts, engine shrouds and aft engine fairings, if you have an early F-14A (no familiar with the Tamiya F-14A) and want a late Bravo then you are going to need a little bit more.

you right sorry !! just f14 A late version ! and i would like to convert in B version ! thanks

3 hours ago, legend1 said:

you right sorry !! just f14 A late version ! and i would like to convert in B version ! thanks

All you need is the engine exhausts, shrouds and fairings (and fan blades if you want to go that far).

Not familiar with what changes were made to the IP from a late A to a late B unless we are talking about the Sparrowhawk HUD.

1 hour ago, GW8345 said:

All you need is the engine exhausts, shrouds and fairings (and fan blades if you want to go that far).

Not familiar with what changes were made to the IP from a late A to a late B unless we are talking about the Sparrowhawk HUD.

The shrouds, fairings, proper cockpit parts are all in the box. You only need exhaust nozzles to build a B.

Steve

Edited by A-10 LOADER
3 hours ago, legend1 said:

Everything you need to convert the Tamiya Late A kit to a F-14B is already in the kit EXCEPT for exhaust nozzles. I believe this is as close as we'll get from Tamiya for a F-14B, that's why I got a couple kits.

Steve

Edited by A-10 LOADER
1 hour ago, A-10 LOADER said:

The shrouds, fairings, proper cockpit parts are all in the box. You only need exhaust nozzles to build a B.

Steve

Just curious, what cockpit parts are needed to make an Alpha a Bravo?

10 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

Just curious, what cockpit parts are needed to make an Alpha a Bravo?

Those cockpit upgrades would include the RIO PTID panel/screen and the LANTIRN side control stick.

Steve

Edited by A-10 LOADER
1 hour ago, A-10 LOADER said:

Those cockpit upgrades would include the RIO PTID panel/screen and the LANTIRN side control stick.

Steve

Those aren't necessary to make a late Bravo, the LANTRIN control box was the same (side stick) was the same whether it was an Alpha or a Bravo. To my knowledge not all Bravo's got the PTID either, only some squadrons got them so I would recommend the OP check references for the aircraft he want's to do and for the time period.

In reality, the only difference between the two aircraft's cockpit was the engine start panel in the front seat.

Edited by GW8345
1 hour ago, GW8345 said:

Those aren't necessary to make a late Bravo, the LANTRIN control box was the same (side stick) was the same whether it was an Alpha or a Bravo. To my knowledge not all Bravo's got the PTID either, only some squadrons got them so I would recommend the OP check references for the aircraft he want's to do and for the time period.

In reality, the only difference between the two aircraft's cockpit was the engine start panel in the front seat.

Correct, the side stick controller was the same for LANTIRN equipped Alpha's and Bravos.

The pre-LANTIRN / pre-F-14B "UPGRADE" RIO cockpit was more or less identical to the F-14A RIO cockpit. The F-14B "UPGRADE" went operational in late 96 to 97 with the new MFD,s ( PTID ), among other upgrades. PTID was integral to the LANTIRN upgrade so, if a jet had a GPS antenna on the "turtleback" ( spine ), it had PTID (A & B ). The Sparrow Hawk HUD wouldn't get to the fleet until 2001-2002, depending on the squadron, which in my research shows VF-11 ( mid to late 2004 ), 32, 101, 103 ( March 2003 ) and, 143.

The "fishbowl" TID was removed first, between 1997-99 depending on the squadron. The Sparrow Hawk HUD came later and was only fitted to the F-14B, unlike the MFD ( PTID ) which was installed across the entire fleet, Late A/B/D. The MFD and the HUD were part of seperate "upgrades."

Steve

Edited by A-10 LOADER

The reason why I said that the only difference between the A's and B's cockpits was the engine control panel is because the A's did not get the Sparrowhawk HUD, LANTRIN and PTID configured cockpits were identical between the two.

My question is, what is defined as a "late" Bravo?

When I was in VF-143 in 2000 we didn't have the new HUD and our aircraft were considered "late" Bravos. Again, it depends on what time frame you are doing but if you are doing a VF-143 Bravo from the 98 cruise on the Stennis, a standard A cockpit will work just fine. Besides the Sparrohawk HUD (and the engine start panel) the front cockpits were the same between the A's and B's.

7 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

Everything you need to convert the Tamiya Late A kit to a F-14B is already in the kit EXCEPT for exhaust nozzles. I believe this is as close as we'll get from Tamiya for a F-14B, that's why I got a couple kits.

Steve

thanks guys 

4 hours ago, GW8345 said:

The reason why I said that the only difference between the A's and B's cockpits was the engine control panel is because the A's did not get the Sparrowhawk HUD, LANTRIN and PTID configured cockpits were identical between the two.

My question is, what is defined as a "late" Bravo?

When I was in VF-143 in 2000 we didn't have the new HUD and our aircraft were considered "late" Bravos. Again, it depends on what time frame you are doing but if you are doing a VF-143 Bravo from the 98 cruise on the Stennis, a standard A cockpit will work just fine. Besides the Sparrohawk HUD (and the engine start panel) the front cockpits were the same between the A's and B's.

thank you for reply 

• 1 year later...
On 2/7/2022 at 7:41 PM, A-10 LOADER said:

Correct, the side stick controller was the same for LANTIRN equipped Alpha's and Bravos.

The pre-LANTIRN / pre-F-14B "UPGRADE" RIO cockpit was more or less identical to the F-14A RIO cockpit. The F-14B "UPGRADE" went operational in late 96 to 97 with the new MFD,s ( PTID ), among other upgrades. PTID was integral to the LANTIRN upgrade so, if a jet had a GPS antenna on the "turtleback" ( spine ), it had PTID (A & B ). The Sparrow Hawk HUD wouldn't get to the fleet until 2001-2002, depending on the squadron, which in my research shows VF-11 ( mid to late 2004 ), 32, 101, 103 ( March 2003 ) and, 143.

The "fishbowl" TID was removed first, between 1997-99 depending on the squadron. The Sparrow Hawk HUD came later and was only fitted to the F-14B, unlike the MFD ( PTID ) which was installed across the entire fleet, Late A/B/D. The MFD and the HUD were part of seperate "upgrades."

Steve

Hello, my question is about the Tomcat shown here: https://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Navy/Grumman-F-14B-Tomcat/139422/L

This is a VF-74 F-14A+, in 1990. I have the Tamiya late A kit. If I wanted make the above A+ for that time frame, my understanding is as follows:

- I will use all the late A cockpit parts (fishbowl TID for the RIO) including the seats. I will not use the PTID or the lantirn side stick. 

- I will use the B/D engine shrouds / fairing that come with the kit

- I will need to get GE F-110 exhausts from somewhere

- I will erase the oil doors on the engine nacelles 

Is this accurate? I'm most concerned about the cockpit. The reason is I have traded away the B/D RIO instrument panel and side panels that are on Sprue U.  Now I am not sure if I can build the A+ above with the kit. 

TIA.

1 hour ago, Sarathi S. said:

For an early B like you're talking about the A-model RIO panels should be fine.  

47 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

As stated above, for an early F-14B (F-14A+) the cockpit is the same as an F-14A so you can use a F-14A cockpit for a F-14A+.

thank you both, that's great to know!

2 hours ago, Janissary said:

Hello, my question is about the Tomcat shown here: https://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Navy/Grumman-F-14B-Tomcat/139422/L

This is a VF-74 F-14A+, in 1990. I have the Tamiya late A kit. If I wanted make the above A+ for that time frame, my understanding is as follows:

- I will use all the late A cockpit parts (fishbowl TID for the RIO) including the seats. I will not use the PTID or the lantirn side stick. 

- I will use the B/D engine shrouds / fairing that come with the kit

- I will need to get GE F-110 exhausts from somewhere

- I will erase the oil doors on the engine nacelles 

Is this accurate? I'm most concerned about the cockpit. The reason is I have traded away the B/D RIO instrument panel and side panels that are on Sprue U.  Now I am not sure if I can build the A+ above with the kit. 

TIA.

Yes, you're correct.

F-14B, 162919, shop #564, she was the 7th NEW B model built, Block 145 jet.

Steve

"TOMCATS FOREVER, BABY...!"

Edited by A-10 LOADER