ResKit F-111 Cockpits/Escape Capsule

39 minutes ago, jonbryon said:

You misunderstood him. He wasn't saying there's no Pave Tack, he was saying ResKit have not produced a cockpit for an F without Pave Tack. Which I think was pretty obvious from the context.

Jon

Yes I know.

Somebody said they have covered every F-111. I was trying to point out that that isnt technically correct as there are some versions of the F cockpit not made.
He then said I can use the kit instrument panel to represent an F model without a Pave tack pod, which not only isnt true because that isnt what the kit parts represent it also defeats the object of buying something to do something when you already have what you need to do it. (Except you dont)

21 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Yes I know.

Somebody said they have covered every F-111. I was trying to point out that that isnt technically correct as there are some versions of the F cockpit not made.
He then said I can use the kit instrument panel to represent an F model without a Pave tack pod, which not only isnt true because that isnt what the kit parts represent it also defeats the object of buying something to do something when you already have what you need to do it. (Except you dont)

Ha ha. Now you're misunderstanding me! I wasn't responding to you, which is why I didn't quote you...

Jon

Very nice to have learnt there is love for the FB-111As on part of ResKit.

Last weekend a modelling mate of my husband's was playing mind games on me about these sets. :gr_eek2: 

He stated that these ResKit sets were supposed to fix the wrong windshield/canopy shape on the Hobby Boss Vark kits because, basically, if one's to use a vac-form aftermarket to correct those wrong shapes, they've got to modify the whole surface where the new clear pieces are to sit on (sort of what @mrvark posted on page 1).

At the same time, said he, the ResKit set comes to offer a better detailed cockpit, but in fact, there's nothing wrong about the shape of the escape module in the Hobby Boss kit. 

Is that true?

What about the inverted span of the flaps on the wings then? Is there any way to fix those?

Cheers

Gwen

12 hours ago, juanchopancho said:

F-111F for Hobbyboss kit? Which hobbyboss kit? Any of the short wing variants?

F-111D/E kit only, The F-111A has the wrong intakes and the EF-111A kit is just wrong all over.

2 hours ago, Gwen Phoenix said:

Very nice to have learnt there is love for the FB-111As on part of ResKit.

Last weekend a modelling mate of my husband's was playing mind games on me about these sets. :gr_eek2: 

He stated that these ResKit sets were supposed to fix the wrong windshield/canopy shape on the Hobby Boss Vark kits because, basically, if one's to use a vac-form aftermarket to correct those wrong shapes, they've got to modify the whole surface where the new clear pieces are to sit on (sort of what @mrvark posted on page 1).

At the same time, said he, the ResKit set comes to offer a better detailed cockpit, but in fact, there's nothing wrong about the shape of the escape module in the Hobby Boss kit. 

Is that true?

What about the inverted span of the flaps on the wings then? Is there any way to fix those?

Cheers

Gwen

There is nothing wrong with the shape of the escape module except that fact that the front of it where its canopy meets the metal is the wrong shape, the angle of the instrument panel is wrong, the cockpit base in the kit is generic and fits maybe an F-111A best.

So yeah I mean apart from being almost completely wrong its alright really...

There is a way to fix the flaps.
You cut flaps off one by one and put them back on on the opposite side of the model in the opposite order. Thus the outer flap veins of the starboard wing becomes the inner veins of the port wing.

1 hour ago, ElectroSoldier said:

There is nothing wrong with the shape of the escape module except that fact that the front of it where its canopy meets the metal is the wrong shape, the angle of the instrument panel is wrong, the cockpit base in the kit is generic and fits maybe an F-111A best.

So yeah I mean apart from being almost completely wrong its alright really...

In other words, the mind games my husband's modelling mate was playing on me all weekend were true, after all... :hmmm:I think I got a Squadron vac-form alternative two years ago to replace the offending one in the Hobby Boss kit, but I dare not make it fit on the kit escape module. Hence, I'm getting this new set. 

There is a way to fix the flaps.
You cut flaps off one by one and put them back on on the opposite side of the model in the opposite order. Thus the outer flap veins of the starboard wing becomes the inner veins of the port wing.

I'm afraid you won't be able to do that without cutting the flap vanes and rails as well, and then it'd be like putting Humpty Dumpty all back together. Besides, the outmost flap vane (the broadest one), is the shorter size. It won't match the flap rail layout the other way round on the opposite wing.

Will ResKit (or ScaleDown) ever come up with a fix to the awful flap issue on the Hobby Boss kit? Bomb bay well doors?  

5 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

...The F-111A has the wrong intakes and the EF-111A kit is just wrong all over.

Can you elaborate on this a bit? I have an HB Spark Vark that I just bought the ResKit cockpit set for. What are the other biggest problems with that specific version of the -111? Thanks!

14 hours ago, Gwen Phoenix said:

In other words, the mind games my husband's modelling mate was playing on me all weekend were true, after all... :hmmm:I think I got a Squadron vac-form alternative two years ago to replace the offending one in the Hobby Boss kit, but I dare not make it fit on the kit escape module. Hence, I'm getting this new set. 

I'm afraid you won't be able to do that without cutting the flap vanes and rails as well, and then it'd be like putting Humpty Dumpty all back together. Besides, the outmost flap vane (the broadest one), is the shorter size. It won't match the flap rail layout the other way round on the opposite wing.

Will ResKit (or ScaleDown) ever come up with a fix to the awful flap issue on the Hobby Boss kit? Bomb bay well doors?  

Yes the tracks need to come off too and go back in the right order (which is opposite to how the kit provides them) but I left them on and moved my way down the wing using the tracks in place to level up the veins as I went. My first try I couldnt get the veins to line up to each other and it looked like a Mexican wave in the end.

11 hours ago, Specter1075 said:

Can you elaborate on this a bit? I have an HB Spark Vark that I just bought the ResKit cockpit set for. What are the other biggest problems with that specific version of the -111? Thanks!

The EF-111A is, if you discount the kits problems over all, ok for an EF-111A. All the problems are generic over all the One Eleven family of kits they made.

I said that in relation to converting the EF-111A or F-111A to a later version E, D or F.

12 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Yes the tracks need to come off too and go back in the right order (which is opposite to how the kit provides them) but I left them on and moved my way down the wing using the tracks in place to level up the veins as I went. My first try I couldnt get the veins to line up to each other and it looked like a Mexican wave in the end.

Do you happen to have any photos of the correction process? 

Also, I wonder if the Ozmod wing sets for the academy kit could be modified to work in the hobbyboss kits?

Edited by sigtau
12 hours ago, sigtau said:

Do you happen to have any photos of the correction process? 

Also, I wonder if the Ozmod wing sets for the academy kit could be modified to work in the hobbyboss kits?

Im sorry Im not really of the photo build generation. The model itself was sold on ebay a few years ago.

All the parts you need are there. The flaps are made up of flat aerofoil sections and the guide tracks, the aerofoil section of the inner part of the right wing need to go on the outer part of the left wing. and so on until the order is mirrored onto the other wing.

The best you can do is pick up yourself a copy of the Verlinden Lock On book for the F-111 and you will see what it should look like. Once you see it the process you need to follow is pretty self explanatory.

Im not sure if the Ozmods part will fit but I dont see why not, they are after all the same wings. There shouldnt be to much variation in size.

18 hours ago, sigtau said:

Hi sigtau,

sda48001longwing.jpg

It's been nearly two to three years since the day it's occurred to me to download this picture of the Aussie resin wings to try and figure out a way to fix the Hobby Boss flaps. Both kits wings are quite different, so I emailed Greg with respect to whether or not the wings would fit, and he said it's a risky bet for the $88 + shipping which the set costs.

Main problem about the Hobby Boss flaps is the vanes more than it's the flaps. My husband says it's the length of the vanes which need to be reversed, more than cutting them off. And then it's the length of the rails themselves which need to be trimmed as well.

Cheers,

Gwen  

2 hours ago, Gwen Phoenix said:

Hi sigtau,

sda48001longwing.jpg

It's been nearly two to three years since the day it's occurred to me to download this picture of the Aussie resin wings to try and figure out a way to fix the Hobby Boss flaps. Both kits wings are quite different, so I emailed Greg with respect to whether or not the wings would fit, and he said it's a risky bet for the $88 + shipping which the set costs.

Main problem about the Hobby Boss flaps is the vanes more than it's the flaps. My husband says it's the length of the vanes which need to be reversed, more than cutting them off. And then it's the length of the rails themselves which need to be trimmed as well.

Cheers,

Gwen  

Yes and no.

Its the chord of the vanes that needs to be mirrored to the other side as the size of the chord changes as you go furhter along the span of the wings.
The span of the vanes also changes depending on what section of the flaps you are "on".

The tracks are the correct size chord wise because the over wing spoilers are or can be mounted in the deployed positions. When you do that you have to attach the tracks to the correct places within the wing chord wise.

The picture of the Ozmods wings above is only relevant to the F-111B, C, G FB-111A as they are the long span wings.

The tracks are the correct size chord wise because the over wing spoilers are or can be mounted in the deployed positions. When you do that you have to attach the tracks to the correct places within the wing chord wise.

The picture of the Ozmods wings above is only relevant to the F-111B, C, G FB-111A as they are the long span wings.

Guess I'll have to take some pictures of the offending thing so as to make myself clearer about it. It's like you were going on about your (Tom)cat, while I was going on about my (Sabre)dog here. 

But yes, the long span wings are the ones I'm going on about. I only care for the FB-111A, C or G Varks. I've got both the Academy and Hobby Boss FB-111A kits.

My stocks were so high after I purchased the Hobby Boss kit (compared to the Academy one), that they went down the drain when I spotted all the horrors in it. Thought of selling the Hobby Boss kit right away, but then again, kits are so expensive and difficult to come by that I gave it a better thought.

Cheers,

Gwen

12 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Try out the Ozmods parts on it. The FB-111A kit has the same problem as all the others

I have the HB FB-111 kit inbound.  I'll do some comparisons with the Academy kit to see if the wings are interchangeable.  Seems like fixing the HB kit parts should be easy. 

Unfortunately, the current situation in Ukraine is going to be a problem.  I actually have an order from Reskit stuck in their postal system in Kyiv.

Edited by sigtau
5 hours ago, mrvark said:

As to the differences between the Triple Plow I (A/C/E/EF) and TPII (D/F/G/FB) inlets this might be helpful. (There are a number of other segments to these references there.) The Scaledown wings will fit the Hobby Boss kit:

Scaledown Wings on Hobby Boss fuselage.jpg

That is nice to know.

I dont fancy doing the flaps on the HB kit again and do so dislike the complete lack of detail on the Academy kit.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Back on topic, I just got the “early” F-111C cockpit directly from ResKit.  The IP and consoles are provided by 3D printed decals, so hopefully making the “late” version is mostly just changing the IP decal.

My order is also on it's way to me.... when was your package shipped ?

My EF-111 package that shipped on Feb 23rd somehow survived and arrived today. I didn't think there was any way it would show up. It's quite a set. I haven't done much with printed panels, and I have mixed feelings about them, but there is no doubt it will look great when built up.

When ResKit posted that they were resuming operations, I placed a new order for an EF-111 cockpit with some extra stuff. If/when that arrives, people can expect I'll be selling the surplus cockpit set.

48 minutes ago, Specter1075 said:

My EF-111 package that shipped on Feb 23rd somehow survived and arrived today. I didn't think there was any way it would show up. It's quite a set. I haven't done much with printed panels, and I have mixed feelings about them, but there is no doubt it will look great when built up.

When ResKit posted that they were resuming operations, I placed a new order for an EF-111 cockpit with some extra stuff. If/when that arrives, people can expect I'll be selling the surplus cockpit set.

Yep, same here just received the E and F cockpits. They look phenomenal and initial test fitting is really impressive. Here’s a picture of the cockpit with literally two minutes of sanding and just placed on top of the kit parts.  

4F408754-ACEF-4A68-B03B-33972C1252F7.jpeg