ResKit F-111 Cockpits/Escape Capsule

20 hours ago, JEN722 said:

The ResKit cockpits look great. What does the canopy profile look like? I have read that is was corrected, but other sources state the canopy has not been changed.

Jens

Most definitely updated. Not the best phone pics.

D5CFAA88-C43A-4755-9DB8-1A67B0C2FAD4.jpeg

14975922-5D25-47F1-8407-43D9D5F7183C.jpeg

8D2CCC0E-A4FA-488F-88F9-100C52695385.jpeg

So, with the Academy clear parts being thought of as more accurate, and the Academy clear parts (not) fitting almost exactly the same on both HB and ResKit, that implies that they didn’t fix it at all.  Need to see the HB clear parts on the Reskit cockpit to be sure.

8 hours ago, Blain said:

I don't understand. So you are telling me that the Reskit cockpit module does not correct anything?

The ResKit cockpit module and supplied clear parts, in particular, correct the freaky Booby Hoss windshield parts.

That the ResKit canopy differs a bit from the Academy clear part is, IMHO, a complete red herring. The ResKit parts, once installed and painted, will look totally right. 

Tony 

On 4/26/2022 at 6:46 PM, Blain said:

I don't understand. So you are telling me that the Reskit cockpit module does not correct anything?

10 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Having looked at the pictures on here I was moved to order some.
The reskit cockpit shape looks much better at the back as well as the front.

I’ve been working on kit bashing the Academy and Hobby Boss kits together for the last couple years. Much of that time was spent trying to figure out the cockpit issues with both kits. After working on the reskit parts for over a week now I’m fully convinced they far exceed both of those kits in accuracy. Not to mention all the brilliant details. 

The Reskit canopy is an improvement over the HB canopy but it is still not correct.

The HB canopy has three errors, the major one being the slope of the windscreen, which should be a flat, descending angle in the  side profile.

HB have managed to make theirs curved giving it an upwards bulging appearance. Secondly, and you can see this in the comparison pictures above, HB have located the canopy bow too far forward which shortens the windscreen length in side profile. Notice the step between the cockpit bow and the fuselage side immediately below the windscreen which is slightly stepped in the comparison pictures above. The final error is that the HB windscreen lower edge is curved along the lower edge instead of staying relatively flat until the extreme front edge.

I think that when HB designed the windscreen, they positioned the canopy bow too far forward.  To avoid having having the windscreen slope downwards too sharpley to meet the fuselage they attempted to soften the effect by bulging the side profile slightly.

Reskit have corrected the side slope profile angle by flattening the side profile but the position of the canopy bow that separates the windscreen from the cockpit entry 'doors'  remains unchanged. Whilst the Reskit windscreen will look less bug eyed compared to the HB part, it is still not quite correct as the windscreen looks somewhat truncated. Finally, the transition between the windscreen lower edge and the forward edge is a bit too angular instead of describing a rounded curve. If the cockpit entry doors are positioned opened this may hide the fact that the doors are too wide as it may distract the viewer from noticing this error but the doors should be less wider in side profile compared to the windscreen which should be relatively longer.

The cockpit is an order of magnitude better as regards kit supplied detail for both the Academy and HB kits but since Reskit have sized their cockpit for the HB kit, they have incorporated one of the HB errors into their set. I am sure most modellers will see the set as a quantum improvement and will be happy to live with the error. It is just a pity that there are so many other things wrong with the HB kit

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy121
On 2/24/2022 at 3:06 AM, ElectroSoldier said:

Yes and no.

Its the chord of the vanes that needs to be mirrored to the other side as the size of the chord changes as you go further along the span of the wings.
The span of the vanes also changes depending on what section of the flaps you are "on".

The tracks are the correct size chord wise because the over wing spoilers are or can be mounted in the deployed positions. When you do that you have to attach the tracks to the correct places within the wing chord wise.

The picture of the Ozmods wings above is only relevant to the F-111B, C, G FB-111A as they are the long span wings.

ES is ccorrect, the flap vanes need to taper in cord as they approach the wingtips. It seems to that the easiest (and cheapest!) fix would be to separate the individual flap vane segments and install these the correct way round as suggested by ES i.e with decreasing chord towards the wing tips rather than buying the SD resin wings.

To me, the biggest selling feature of the HB kit should have been the deployed slats/flaps but HB screwed this up completely. Apart from the flap vane issue mentioned above, the other issue is that there are spring loaded panels on the underside  of the wing 'core' trailing edge which fold upwards as the flaps deploy. HB have moulded these flush so the builder will need to separate them and angle them upwards if they wish to be accurate. Did I mention there is a fine piano hinge  at the front where they pivot?

The SD resin wings actually have this feature correctly depicted (although the piano hinge is simplified to a scribed line )and perhaps Gwen or anyone else who owns this set could be persuaded to supply a pic of the underside from the set to illustrate the point. These spring loaded panels are flush when the flaps are retracted,

regards,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy121

After reading all through this thread, I am still hoping (Probably a waste of time) that someone will do an RF-111C camera pallet for the Academy F-111C kit.

I am aware of the Hamilton Hobbies AU RF-111C conversion for the HobbyBoss kit. 

Larry

15 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

After reading all through this thread, I am still hoping (Probably a waste of time) that someone will do an RF-111C camera pallet for the Academy F-111C kit.

I am aware of the Hamilton Hobbies AU RF-111C conversion for the HobbyBoss kit. 

Larry

That would be a much welcome addition in both 72nd and 48th scales.

Just an update on my order for these kits.  I got mine from Reskit in the Ukraine yesterday ordered back in February.  Good to see they are able to ship product again.

Geoff M

26 minutes ago, Geoff M said:

Just an update on my order for these kits.  I got mine from Reskit in the Ukraine yesterday ordered back in February.  Good to see they are able to ship product again.

Geoff M

Great news Geoff, apparently mine was shipped late April so fingers crossed it shows up.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Ordered mine on Friday for the FB-111A kit! :yahoo:

When my husband found out, he sighed on the phone, and wondered whether forty pounds was a lot quid for me to turn into a resin goo... :crying2:

Or isn't this set a drop fit for the Hobby Boss kit? :hmmm:

I'm scared now.

Cheers,

Gwen

Slava Ukraini 

I haven't tried to test fit, but looking at it, it seems like it should nearly drop in. The capsule is its own separate piece in the original kit, so you're simply swapping parts rather than chopping and altering. 

The more I study this set the more amazed I am at the details that they were able to reproduce, absolutely stunning, especially the decals !! Speaking of the decals, for those who have worked with these types before, what is the secret to getting them off the paper card ? Are these pretty much like the Quinta Studio ones, which I haven't used yet either ?

Steve

"Slava Ukraine"

Edited by A-10 LOADER
11 minutes ago, A-10 LOADER said:

The more I study this set the more amazed I am at the details that they were able to reproduce, absolutely stunning, especially the decals !! Speaking of the decals, for those who have worked with these types before, what is the secret to getting them off the paper card ?

Steve

"Slava Ukraine"

I haven't used these, but I've used Quinta ones and treated them like 2D decals.

2 hours ago, mrvark said:

I haven't used these, but I've used Quinta ones and treated them like 2D decals.

Thanks Jim. I watched a video on using the Quinta ones so, I'll treat these as such.

Steve

On 6/1/2022 at 9:53 PM, mrvark said:

Am I correct in assuming that the current 'early F-111F' release is suitable for aircraft up to/before Pacer Strike ?