NEW 1/48 F-22 kit released...

They are there, but not as pronounced on the airplane...

File:Lockheed Martin F-22A Raptor JSOH.jpg

My concern is that the RAM panels are just like the Hasegawa ones.. RAISED.... But can't tell anything from the sprue's. The instructions seem to show them raised though(?)

https://www.1999.co.jp/itbig82/10820085z7.jpg

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

Merit contracted Trumpeter to do their kits and I presume there were clauses that prohibited them from releasing them under the Trumpeter name. I helped Merit with a few of their ship kits and would occasionally get a peek into potential projects and a F-22 was not one I ever heard about.

Most random "for what it is worth."

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'll stick with Hase for

1 hour ago, ElectroSoldier said:

I Love Kit 62801 F-22A Raptor 1 48 - jets - scale 1:48 - Military Aircraft (plastmodel.pl)

How would that compare to the Hasegawa and or Academy F-22?

Don't think anyone will know until someone builds it. For the price they're asking....I'll stick with my Hase kit.

• 2 weeks later...

$87USD from China inc shipping straight off Ebay from a very reputable dealer.

Given how terrible the tooling is on the Hasegawa RAM panels it looks like what appears to be a very nice F-22.

Its Trumpeter origin so it will fit beautifully, have outstanding surface detail, has full length intakes, full weapons bays and all the control surfaces are seperate.

Pass all you like but with logistics costs skyrocketing you better get used to the prices as they are not going away every manufacturer is affected.

Brace for the price on the incoming 32nd F-35C…

3 minutes ago, dehowie said:

Given how terrible the tooling is on the Hasegawa RAM panels it looks like what appears to be a very nice F-22.

Its Trumpeter origin so it will fit beautifully, have outstanding surface detail, has full length intakes, full weapons bays and all the control surfaces are seperate.

Pass all you like but with logistics costs skyrocketing you better get used to the prices as they are not going away every manufacturer is affected.

Which company is doing a 1/32 F-35C? First I've heard of it. I did hear something about Italeri? doing a new 1/48 F-35B...but this is new to me. I agree, prices are going to continue to increase, and it will be tough for many who do not have the means to afford the latest, greatest out there.

12 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Which company is doing a 1/32 F-35C? First I've heard of it. I did hear something about Italeri? doing a new 1/48 F-35B...but this is new to me. I agree, prices are going to continue to increase, and it will be tough for many who do not have the means to afford the latest, greatest out there.

Trumpeter is doing the 1/32 F-35C.

http://www.trumpeter-china.com/index.php?g=home&m=article&a=show&id=227

16 hours ago, dehowie said:

Almost US$ 44- 46 for the Hasegawa kit (not including shipping):

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10098636

https://www.hlj.com/1-48-scale-f-22a-raptor-hsgpt45

I think shipping is still reasonable from Japan.

I don't think the Hasegawa RAM panels are bad. The modeler below did a great job on the kit:

https://imodeler.com/2017/07/148-hasegawa-f-22a-raptor/

https://imodeler.com/uploads/2017/07/r/raptor01-170705-595c42d6d5e79-1600x899.jpg

https://imodeler.com/uploads/2017/07/r/raptor01-170705-595c42d8cfb5d-1600x899.jpg

F-22A Raptor (Plastic model) - HobbySearch Military Model Store (1999.co.jp)

Half the Ordnance looks like it is intended for an F/A-18 or even A-7E.

I see a Buddy Pod, MER, HARM, GBU-24, GBU-16, GBU-12, GBU-31.  None of which belong on an F-22 and the sum of which (three sprues) may well account for 40-50% of the assembled parts.

What I don't see are LAU-128 X4, LAU-115 X2, 600 gallon tanks X2, four wing pylons, BRU-61 X2 and GBU-39 X8 or GBU-32 X2.  All of which are certified F-22 ordnance.  Most of which are in the Academy kit.  I think Trumpeter have a fetish about getting the AIM-9X shape wrong and even the AIM-120C look a little sad.  Also, what's the deal with all the separate avionics ducts on missiles these days?

If you're going to go fantasy, may I suggest:  AIM-260 JATM; Peregrine/CUDA/SACM; GBU-53; AGM-158B; AGM-88G; and an IRST fairing?  The F-22 is entering a 9.3 billion dollar, deep MLU, to carry it to retirement.  So it's not altogether outside of reason for it to get some new weapons/capabilities.  But to include ordnance from the 20th century which is only appropriate for Navy jets is just...strange.

Of course, Hasegawa Weapons Set E will cover most of the basics.  Except it's out of stock.  Everywhere.

So is the Meng Long Range Missiles set (and you will need two of them, at ~25 bucks each).

No external F119 (not normally my thing but I might actually like to see one, _on a cart_, just for the big vectoring nozzles...).

The separate intake lips are a big oh-yeah.  As those are really hard to get right, even on the Hasegawa, because the corners like to separate on the inside.  Well done ILK.  Now do they fit?  The guy doing the buildup on Youtube seems to have had problems...

Still can't convince people to chop inlet ducts transversely and slide mold to make the seams less obvious and painting easier.  Baby steps.

Nose looks stubby and too broad.  I sure hope they haven't managed to underscale this thing.

Missing the bent pilot ladder.

Not sure about the canopy rail insert.  Depends on fit.  Could be a nightmare.

Painting guide is useless.  I have never seen an F-22 with an engine grey nose but more importantly, to get the metallic camouflage to look right requires a two stage mask and filter spray to blend in the colors.  And that's without any exotic weathering of key panel inserts.  Not happening with the included guide which is too small and too vanilla.  It would almost be preferable if you just included **scale-sized patterns** as 'cut here' outlines.  Sometimes simpler is better.

Positionable control surfaces tend to be really great or truly awful.  When I tried to do the Kitty Hawk Su-35, the LEF flatly _would not fit_ in the up position.  I build gear up so this is important to me.

Similarly, the opened-up weapons bay doors honestly need a full-panel alternative to close them.  Stealth jets look cool all sleeked up.  On the ground, it's a different matter but even here, the belly doors are usually closed except when the jet is cooling down after a flight or having weapons uploaded.

Decals...meh.  It's gonna be hard to beat the Academy kit's Cartograph sheet with most of the base tail codes and several serial numbers represented, plus all those stencils, but you could have gone Elmendorf/Hickam and Langley/Tyndall.  Maybe throw in the blue nosed celebratory jet for some color.

For the price, 3D printed cockpit decals and canopy/hub masks would have been very nice.

Once upon a time, Importers would know who to send a brown box review kit to.  Hyperscale is a standard for kits coming out of Asia.  Sprue Brothers has some good builders on staff and are a primary U.S. distributor.  Cybermodeler is quick with complete sprue shots and optional parts listings as well as the occasional unpainted plastic buildup to highlight fit issues.

ILK is a new company and they could use some positive reviews to get the word out.  The key is sending the late series testshot _early enough_ so that there is time for it to be built well and have a review pop on the day the kit is released to market.

CONCLUSION:

For the cost, the wasted ordnance sprues and open-only bay doors just kill it.  My opinion could improve to one purchase, with an assessement of the completed buildup by someone I trust.  I like the Raptor.  But the ILK kit is 120 bucks with shipping.  A Tamiya F-15E, which I am also saving for, is 149 dollars.  The two are nothing near being equivalent.  I love the Eagle.

Edited by YKM